Reliable Pentastar

C-Square

So far my choice to go for a Pentastar engine in the Gladiator paid off. Granted, we are only talking about 17,000 miles and a 14 months period. Still, the Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 died one week short of 12 months with 14,000 miles on the odometer. My only concern with the Pentastar is the high temperature it creates under the hood on a warm day. That's why I open the hood for a while when I reach home. My concern is about the plastic parts in the engine that might show signs of wear, due to the high temperatures. Service appointments are an opportunity to ask the mechanics to look for those.

So far my choice to go for a Pentastar engine in the Gladiator paid off. Granted, we are only talking about 17,000 miles and a 14 months period. Still, the Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 died one week short of 12 months with 14,000 miles on the odometer. My only concern with the Pentastar is the high temperature it creates under the hood on a warm day. That's why I open the hood for a while when I reach home. My concern is about the plastic parts in the engine that might show signs of wear, due to the high temperatures. Service appointments are an opportunity to ask the mechanics to look for those.
That Pentastar is under valued.

What caused the 6.2 to die? Was it the valve spring issue we've been hearing about?

I don't recall hearing anything bad about the Pentastar. Should last a long time for you.

I have the baby Pentastar (3.2L) in my Cherokee Trailhawk... I had a 2014 and currently a 2019. Pretty good fuel economy and up to now, it has been rock solid. Very happy with it. Some would say it is outdated, but who cares when it performs well.

What caused the 6.2 to die? Was it the valve spring issue we've been hearing about?

I don't recall hearing anything bad about the Pentastar. Should last a long time for you.
I did not get many details from the dealership where the engine was replaced. What the service person heard from the mechanic was that the engine "was totally destroyed inside". I did not have the reflex of asking for more info because I knew I was going to get rid of the truck after the fix and I was still in shock after escaping getting really hurt since the truck died in the middle lane of the highway and traffic (including trucks) was coming at me.

It's been a while since I heard someone have problems with a pentastar. It's usually everything around it that has problems :ROFLMAO:
Well. My 2 jeeps have been the most reliable vehicles of all time. Better than my Hondas and Mazdas. And at least, it does the hell of what I'm asking them to do without complaints. Everyone I know having other brands (which I do not need to name) they hide when they go to the dealer to ensure no one knows. But keep on missing work to be at the dealer 🤪 I guess they change oil very often 😂

To each your own beliefs!

Last edited:
Well. My 2 jeeps have been the most reliable vehicles of all time. Better than my Hondas and Mazdas. And at least, it does the hell of what I'm asking them to do without complaints. Everyone I know have other brands (which I do not need to name) they hide when they go to the dealer to ensure no one knows. But keep on missing work to be at the dealer 🤪 I guess they change oil very often 😂

To each your own beliefs!
Bhahahaha nice,

Does that mysterious brand start with a T by any chance? ;)

Back