R2 Launch Event

Beninbeta

If they can hit their price targets, this is a pretty decent electric SUV!

That second article is pretty old. They've take a big beating in the market, and have quite a few issues with their Georgia endeavor as well. Honestly, I hope they make it through. Those new vehicles won't launch until like 2026 which is crazy. And with all of the issues with prices changes and reservations taking years they'll get far less of those this time around I think too. While people don't always Tesla and Rivian electric companies they are some of the most American built of all manufacturers and that's a good thing too.

That second article is pretty old. They've take a big beating in the market, and have quite a few issues with their Georgia endeavor as well. Honestly, I hope they make it through. Those new vehicles won't launch until like 2026 which is crazy. And with all of the issues with prices changes and reservations taking years they'll get far less of those this time around I think too. While people don't always Tesla and Rivian electric companies they are some of the most American built of all manufacturers and that's a good thing too.

Just because something is not 2024 doesn't make the underlying facts wrong:

https://www.wardsauto.com/ideaxchange/environmental-downside-bevs

2017, but the author is pro-BEV despite the evidence they present.

Now the latest BEV Joke:

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/12/04/canoo-ltv-light-tactical-vehicle/

Would be really funny if it wasn't on Taxpayer...Or more likely borrowed $67.5K

PFC Snuffy: "Gee, Sgt Hardcore, why are we abandoning our BEV Tactical Vehicle? Can't we go to the charging station to get it back over 5 Mph?

Sgt Hardcore: "Yeah sure Snuffy, the charger with the Persistent ISR monitoring it 24/7? A Shahed will light us up before we can get to the plug."

If they can hit their price targets, this is a pretty decent electric SUV!
I think that's the big part if they can hit that price. I understand announcing now to get momentum but being two years out is a stretch. A lot of things can change between now and then so when the price changes, they'll get lambasted for it.

I do think it's a good concept. The smaller cross-over that can be easily used for a daily-driver makes good sense. Unlike Tim, I like the ass-end of the R3. It's the front of all Rivians I detest. I never liked those vertical ovals. They should change it up a little. They all look the same.

What it does do is make it easy to tell what it is. And there are so many vehicles today that you can't tell what it is until your close. So it's good for brand ID, but you are likely not their target customer @Dusdaddy!

@testerdahl it does seem sometimes like you are a little tiny bit anti-ev, since you asked in your video. Do you have an instance where you wholeheartedly recommended an EV, even for a specific customer segment? That would change my mind.

@GMT 900 I'm not saying that article wasn't or isn't still relevant, but that times have changed a lot since 2021 mid-pandemic. I would also add that ever vehicle manufacturer had taken advantage of tax payers in some way, that's how our capitalistic society works. It's all about shareholders once you are a public company. And as far as bias goes, I have only ever seen negative posts (maybe I missed some others) from you about EVs so far so if that is always going to be your point of view then I would say, noted. You should start a new general discussion about that topic. You have a lot of good resources on all topics to support your side. I'd love to see what you could do for the counter argument as well?

What it does do is make it easy to tell what it is. And there are so many vehicles today that you can't tell what it is until your close. So it's good for brand ID, but you are likely not their target customer @Dusdaddy!
Yeah but unlike most old-farts, I like different, innovative front ends. For example, I really like the Hyundai Tucson, I thought that was done well. The Rivian just seems "blah" and makes me think of an appliance. Probably because that oval reminds me of Dyson products.

And EVs don't bother me. I think they are a great choice for many applications. They'd be fine for me if it could tow 6K lbs. 500 miles without an overnight stay in the middle to recharge. That's my unique "need". I do that 4-5 times a year.

I think the Rivian outline looks great, they have proven to design some of the best interiors out there, I'm just not a huge fan of the accessory look like the ovals in the front. It is their unique signature just not for me. I hope they make it as competition is great for everyone, just pushes the quality and expectations higher.

The price promises are what kill me, every manufacturer is doing it so I don't blame Rivian but why even throw out the MSRP now?

I worry about companies like Rivian as the electric market flat lines. I don't know how many years we are away from them actually working for the majority but when we get there I think the names on the vehicles will be very different from the ones we see today.

@testerdahl it does seem sometimes like you are a little tiny bit anti-ev, since you asked in your video. Do you have an instance where you wholeheartedly recommended an EV, even for a specific customer segment? That would change my mind.
Easy. My wife. I tried to buy her an EV last year and the pricing was crazy. I just had her spend a day with the Kia EV9 and she is actually doing the video review on it.

I also have told my Dad and step Mom to buy one for their place in Florida. They drive back and forth from Michigan to his Florida house twice a year. Other than that, they only drive around town.

I think people think I'm anti-EV because I'm over the moon on their technology. I just don't nerd out on things like that and it just doesn't impress me. I mean, we have had electric golf carts for years. An EV is a similar premise. There's just not that much interesting about them IMO.

Easy. My wife. I tried to buy her an EV last year and the pricing was crazy. I just had her spend a day with the Kia EV9 and she is actually doing the video review on it.

I also have told my Dad and step Mom to buy one for their place in Florida. They drive back and forth from Michigan to his Florida house twice a year. Other than that, they only drive around town.

I think people think I'm anti-EV because I'm over the moon on their technology. I just don't nerd out on things like that and it just doesn't impress me. I mean, we have had electric golf carts for years. An EV is a similar premise. There's just not that much interesting about them IMO.
Not only am I indifferent to the tech some of it actually pushes me away. I love a nice interior when it comes to seats, options, etc. but the move to huge screens I'm not a fan of. They look silly and make it harder to do what I want to do when normal everyday functions are integrated into the screen, (heated seats, wheel, climate, radio, etc.) Most EV's I've seen are driving those feature sets hard and they steer me away.

Also, EV's don't work for my lifestyle at all. Im in Western WA about 40 minutes north of Seattle. We camp alot and day trip to weekend trip alot. I can't wrap my head around having to stop halfway to charge for an hour. Find a charger, hope it works, deliver the rated power and then go on. The thought of that actually gives me a little anxiety.

Lastly, price. Insanity.

@testerdahl I stand corrected, but next's years truck...get an EV live with for a year and see how what it's like long term. You only drive to school Walmart and to hunt. I'd be an interesting take even if it was a lightning. Gas guy tries an EV for a year something like that. Maybe get an EV and a gas truck and compare them for a year see which one you gravitate to in the end. Those are good use cases you gave though, but did you do them on camera? That probably adds to people feeling that way if they don't get to see the other side.

@Fightnfire I wasn't a huge fan of the Tesla screen and do prefer physical inputs for the important items. Lights, volume, AC and such for sure. However, companies like Tesla and Rivan who built their technology much later and with that tech meant to be an great experience from the start tend to have much better systems that are easier to use than some might think. The older brands are finally getting a little better, but are also putting huge screen in everything and are not as good at that yet. I love the larger screens as long as they are used for what they do best, infotainment and cameras.

You should test drive a Rivan and give you thoughts here I'd love read/see that! But, I totally understand the not fitting into your life!

From a business standpoint, buying an EV truck is a terrible decision. If it was just me, I'd give one a try. I do have reservations on the Chevy and Ram EV trucks.

Business wise, people just don't watch EV content. The general public frankly doesn't care. Check out the channel on the YouTube homepage and then scroll through the videos. You'll quickly see that unless an EV is either failing or is completely new (Rivian R1T), it is a hard sell getting people to watch the videos.

While I do think living with one would be an interesting experiment, I'm just not sure I can afford to pay for this experiment without an interested audience.

While I do think living with one would be an interesting experiment, I'm just not sure I can afford to pay for this experiment without an interested audience.
That's totally fair and I understand your audience is more gas and diesel than EV for sure. But imagine if your EV truck failed! You'd have millions of views then. LOL

That's totally fair and I understand your audience is more gas and diesel than EV for sure. But imagine if your EV truck failed! You'd have millions of views then. LOL
I just watched my wife's raw footage of driving the Kia around for a day. I think it will be an interesting video for you.

Back