New Clutch Plate Update

C-Square

Finally, I get to share an update on the forum. The clutch plate was replaced this past August 2024 under the recall issued in the spring of 2023. In one quick summary: What a difference. The gears engage smoothly and precisely, the gear lever gives the perfect feedback which means that the driver never has to look down to know where the lever should go.
I chose the Gladiator precisely because I wanted to stay with a truck, but I was missing the manual transmission. Of course, when the recall was issued, I questioned my move, but now I feel comforted in my decision. I am sure the Tacoma would have worked too, but I thought rear drum brakes for a heavy vehicle could present potential situations. At the time, the current Tacoma was not yet available. If I were to pick a trim now, I would pick the TRD Sport manual.
I enjoy driving the Gladiator Rubicon both on and off road.

Finally, I get to share an update on the forum. The clutch plate was replaced this past August 2024 under the recall issued in the spring of 2023. In one quick summary: What a difference. The gears engage smoothly and precisely, the gear lever gives the perfect feedback which means that the driver never has to look down to know where the lever should go.
I chose the Gladiator precisely because I wanted to stay with a truck, but I was missing the manual transmission. Of course, when the recall was issued, I questioned my move, but now I feel comforted in my decision. I am sure the Tacoma would have worked too, but I thought rear drum brakes for a heavy vehicle could present potential situations. At the time, the current Tacoma was not yet available. If I were to pick a trim now, I would pick the TRD Sport manual.
I enjoy driving the Gladiator Rubicon both on and off road.
I'm curious on your thoughts on this: "I thought rear drum brakes for a heavy vehicle could present potential situations."

I'm curious on your thoughts on this: "I thought rear drum brakes for a heavy vehicle could present potential situations."
I had a VW Jetta SE manual (2011) with rear drum brakes and, prior to that, a Saturn SL manual (2001) with rear drum brakes. The Jetta had ABS, the Saturn did not. This set-up was never an issue with these vehicles because they are light ones. I drove 20 years with both combined, and I never thought of the drum brakes while driving. When I decided to buy a truck, the weight of the vehicle became front and center, especially when in motion (physics). I felt like being careful in my selection because I was a novice in the truck world. Also, I live in New Jersey and we have all kinds of weather. The Jeep Gladiator Rubicon is even heavier than the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST 6.2 that I used t own (albeit by some 40 lbs.). To give an example of what I mean by being extra careful because I feel like a novice in the truck world, I realized that braking with the knobby tires of the Rubicon trim required an adjustment AFTER purchasing the vehicle. I did not test drive a Tacoma back in 2023 when I was shopping, and now my concern is moot since the new Tacoma has disc brakes all around. I would still choose the Gladiator for the rear passengers comfort (which is why I think the Gladiator would be a good vehicle for your wife when the kids travel with her).

As someone new to trucks, i'm a bit nervous about size. How's the gladiator been for everyday driving and parking? Any tips for a potential first-time truck owner?

Back