MWM desperately seeking large powerful suv

wheelman88

I currently have a 2019 Yukon Denali and I have been trying to trade up to a new one for over 2 years now with no luck and it doesn't look like anything is going to change anytime soon. Most GM dealers either laugh in my face or won't even call me back, although I did have one moron call me back and told me that he just got in a used 2018 and wondered if I would be interested! I already have a used one! And why would I trade backwards for one that had more miles than my 2019? I can't understand why there are no full size suv's available anymore when GM has a 2 year plus waiting list for a Yukon. I was also super excited about the new Cadillac Escalade V until I seen the price! Wow! And there is a waiting list for that too! Why is GM the only manufacturer that is willing to build a fullsize suv with larger engine options? And they have a 2 plus year waiting list!! I would love to see a Full size Ram or Jeep with a larger engine choice and not for 150K either. And Ford only offers a V-6?!! Super frustrated!!!

I currently have a 2019 Yukon Denali and I have been trying to trade up to a new one for over 2 years now with no luck and it doesn't look like anything is going to change anytime soon. Most GM dealers either laugh in my face or won't even call me back, although I did have one moron call me back and told me that he just got in a used 2018 and wondered if I would be interested! I already have a used one! And why would I trade backwards for one that had more miles than my 2019? I can't understand why there are no full size suv's available anymore when GM has a 2 year plus waiting list for a Yukon. I was also super excited about the new Cadillac Escalade V until I seen the price! Wow! And there is a waiting list for that too! Why is GM the only manufacturer that is willing to build a fullsize suv with larger engine options? And they have a 2 plus year waiting list!! I would love to see a Full size Ram or Jeep with a larger engine choice and not for 150K either. And Ford only offers a V-6?!! Super frustrated!!!
Blame CAFE, blame the government or whomever you like. Big engine V8s are going out of style unfortunately.

Fly into Spokane and they'll pick you up at the airport.

I'm not related and I don't work there, but a lot of folks in the west go to Dave Smith for their HD Rams and HD GMCs.

Blame CAFE, blame the government or whomever you like. Big engine V8s are going out of style unfortunately.
Yet demand is higher than ever, isn't that why GM keeps the 6.2l as an available drivetrain on half ton trucks and suv's? I say let the buyers decide what they want! Is this not a free country!!!

Fly into Spokane and they'll pick you up at the airport.

I'm not related and I don't work there, but a lot of folks in the west go to Dave Smith for their HD Rams and HD GMCs.
Everytime that I check I am told that there are zero Denali suv's available in the United States with a 6.2 engine and the other options I am looking for. My brother just flew to Portland and bought a 2024 GMC HD3500 Denali but there seems to be a 2-3 year waiting list for a standard Denali suv. I've been on a waiting list with a local dealer for at least a year and a half and still haven't received a phone call to go over options yet so I know that I'm nowhere close. :(

Have you tried an auto broker? I used one to purchase a vehicle before and it was a great experience. Paid him $500 and he did all the leg work of finding the exact color and options, including negotiating the price. I always liked negotiating, but I just didn't have the time to spend that year and he got a great price. Worth it...

I can't help you find one but I am curious if you've driven the non-v8 options? I, like you, prefer the V8, hence the 6.2 in my truck. We purchased a 2020 Expedition with the 3.5 and I have been impressed. It's a different sort of power than my 6.2. Mine rumbles quite a bit and overall is quicker but the 3.5 is no slouch and easily takes the mountain passes with all 6 (kids are 12,13,15 and almost 16) of us and loaded with gear. I know the 6.2 is quicker at all phases off the line, rolling 35 or 50 but the 3.5 just keep pulling and works great for us.

At first it was a dissapointing settle for us because of what was available during COVID, we both wanted the Yukon Denali, but we've been pleasantly surprised. I feel like the Expedition doesn't get enough love from media. We also found the 3rd row to be much better in the expedition vs. the yukon/tahoe.

Edit: Mixed family on the kids, we were busy but not THAT busy lol

Just an update, I talked with him today and they gave up. Instead, they ordered a 2025 Lincoln Aviator. Just liked it and wanted to try something new.

I can't help you find one but I am curious if you've driven the non-v8 options? I, like you, prefer the V8, hence the 6.2 in my truck. We purchased a 2020 Expedition with the 3.5 and I have been impressed. It's a different sort of power than my 6.2. Mine rumbles quite a bit and overall is quicker but the 3.5 is no slouch and easily takes the mountain passes with all 6 (kids are 12,13,15 and almost 16) of us and loaded with gear. I know the 6.2 is quicker at all phases off the line, rolling 35 or 50 but the 3.5 just keep pulling and works great for us.

At first it was a dissapointing settle for us because of what was available during COVID, we both wanted the Yukon Denali, but we've been pleasantly surprised. I feel like the Expedition doesn't get enough love from media. We also found the 3rd row to be much better in the expedition vs. the yukon/tahoe.

Edit: Mixed family on the kids, we were busy but not THAT busy lol
It's funny that you mention the Ecoboost option, in talking things over with the wife and realizing that we don't really tow very often with our current Yukon we did decide a few weeks ago that we would look at other options and that is when the wifey watched a tictok? video and suddenly she decided to search for a Lincoln Aviator, so we found a dealer and went there to testdrive one. Now it is a bit smaller since it is basically a Ford Explorer ST with luxury appointments but we are currently empty nesters(three kids, eight grandkids!). And kids and grandkids rarely ride with us in our vehicle and never at the same time!(we would need to rent a shuttle bus for that!) So to make a long story short we fell in love with the Aviator and the power of the 3.0 Ecoboost and we now have a new 2025 Aviator on order with all of the colors and options we wanted so it does appear that by early to mid summer we will be Ford people, or Lincoln people for the first time ever. And truth be told the 2025 Lincoln Aviator is actually better equipped than a 2024 Denali Ultimate for about 20 grand less! Seems sad to say but we might be done with fullsize SUV's when we trade ours in.

It's funny that you mention the Ecoboost option, in talking things over with the wife and realizing that we don't really tow very often with our current Yukon we did decide a few weeks ago that we would look at other options and that is when the wifey watched a tictok? video and suddenly she decided to search for a Lincoln Aviator, so we found a dealer and went there to testdrive one. Now it is a bit smaller since it is basically a Ford Explorer ST with luxury appointments but we are currently empty nesters(three kids, eight grandkids!). And kids and grandkids rarely ride with us in our vehicle and never at the same time!(we would need to rent a shuttle bus for that!) So to make a long story short we fell in love with the Aviator and the power of the 3.0 Ecoboost and we now have a new 2025 Aviator on order with all of the colors and options we wanted so it does appear that by early to mid summer we will be Ford people, or Lincoln people for the first time ever. And truth be told the 2025 Lincoln Aviator is actually better equipped than a 2024 Denali Ultimate for about 20 grand less! Seems sad to say but we might be done with fullsize SUV's when we trade ours in.

I'm a GM guy but admit ford is charging hard at the Yukon/Tahoe. We had to have sat in over a dozen of each with several long test drives, we both found ourselves liking parts of the Expedition more than either GM SUV. It's one of the reviews I watch out for and I'm always interested how they think the GM is better... truly I think it's one of those things that takes a long term review to see.

The 3.5 is much better than the 5.3 in GM, not as fast/quick as the 6.2 but close. The diesel wasn't an option for her, she has more of a lead foot than I do. Her Durango was sporty as hell and a rocket. I should create a pro's/con's list for the Expedition and GM twins from our experience.

Grats on the new vehicle, let us know how it goes when you get it!

I agree 100%, my wife was never and probably will never consider a diesel powertrain so that option was out, if the big Jeeps weren't so hideous I could have maybe talked her into one of those. But the funny part is that she never seemed to like the idea of a Ford product even though I was open to it, so when she found the Lincoln she asked me "Who makes Lincoln?" and I said "Ford does" and she almost had that look of utter disappointment wash over her face and then she said "I still want to look at it". I can't wait to get it and see what it is like and Tim and I will probably make a video or two once it gets here.

I agree 100%, my wife was never and probably will never consider a diesel powertrain so that option was out, if the big Jeeps weren't so hideous I could have maybe talked her into one of those. But the funny part is that she never seemed to like the idea of a Ford product even though I was open to it, so when she found the Lincoln she asked me "Who makes Lincoln?" and I said "Ford does" and she almost had that look of utter disappointment wash over her face and then she said "I still want to look at it". I can't wait to get it and see what it is like and Tim and I will probably make a video or two once it gets here.
Glad your search is ending and mine is beginning. As the "vehicle deal guy" in the family, I have a new challenge. Son's family is moving back East and now that the family is growing and they don't have absurdly narrow roads, Daughter in Law wants a Suburban. May have something to do with driving my Tahoe on a trip, but it's now the want. Love for them to get into a favored GMT 900 but those with low miles and relatively good condition are hard to find and gone quickly:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-chevrolet-suburban-4/

Somewhat newer and a good price, but the timing was wrong, gone quickly too:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/879413393982995?ref=category_feed&referral_code=undefined&referral_story_type=listing&tracking={"qid":"-2593524931482508536","mf_story_key":"7269860183071910","commerce_rank_obj":"{\"target_id\":7269860183071910,\"target_type\":0,\"primary_position\":0,\"ranking_signature\":4537324341217126510,\"commerce_channel\":504,\"value\":0.000937956384371,\"candidate_retrieval_source_map\":{\"7269860183071910\":111}}","ftmd_400706":"111112l"}

So the search continues, maybe a left over '24 may be attainable once the gotta have '25s are out?

I hate to get political, but I wont mention any names and keep it short, both US and Canada are looking at major regime changes almost for sure, meaning the Keystone Pipe Line will be finished and running, drilling will start again, fuel prices will drop. The Sierra and Silverado 1500 EV was supposed to be available past September 2023, GM CEO Mary Barra pushed it ahead to 2024. in October Mary Barra changed the date 3 times to finally 2025, after the US election, I'd say that was a smart move.

Glad your search is ending and mine is beginning. As the "vehicle deal guy" in the family, I have a new challenge. Son's family is moving back East and now that the family is growing and they don't have absurdly narrow roads, Daughter in Law wants a Suburban. May have something to do with driving my Tahoe on a trip, but it's now the want. Love for them to get into a favored GMT 900 but those with low miles and relatively good condition are hard to find and gone quickly:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-chevrolet-suburban-4/

Somewhat newer and a good price, but the timing was wrong, gone quickly too:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/879413393982995?ref=category_feed&referral_code=undefined&referral_story_type=listing&tracking={"qid":"-2593524931482508536","mf_story_key":"7269860183071910","commerce_rank_obj":"{\"target_id\":7269860183071910,\"target_type\":0,\"primary_position\":0,\"ranking_signature\":4537324341217126510,\"commerce_channel\":504,\"value\":0.000937956384371,\"candidate_retrieval_source_map\":{\"7269860183071910\":111}}","ftmd_400706":"111112l"}

So the search continues, maybe a left over '24 may be attainable once the gotta have '25s are out?
I should think about listing my 2019 Yukon Denali for sale while I'm waiting for the new one to arrive. It's the short wheelbase so probably not what you are looking for. But if I spot any deals on a Suburban or Yukon XL I'll pass it along.

I should think about listing my 2019 Yukon Denali for sale while I'm waiting for the new one to arrive. It's the short wheelbase so probably not what you are looking for. But if I spot any deals on a Suburban or Yukon XL I'll pass it along.
Thanks!

Thanks again, they went with a Volvo XC-90 instead, appreciate the help.

Do you actually need a full size SUV i.e. towing?
Honestly the unibody SUVs like the Traverse are dynamically speaking better vehicles as a hole. Better ride, handling, better interior space for their size and much better priced. The Tahoe/Yukon assembly plant is GM's most profitable most likely because they know full size SUV buyers are willing pay overly high prices. I personally really love the styling of the new Traverse.

Last edited:
I hate to get political, but I wont mention any names and keep it short, both US and Canada are looking at major regime changes almost for sure, meaning the Keystone Pipe Line will be finished and running, drilling will start again, fuel prices will drop. The Sierra and Silverado 1500 EV was supposed to be available past September 2023, GM CEO Mary Barra pushed it ahead to 2024. in October Mary Barra changed the date 3 times to finally 2025, after the US election, I'd say that was a smart move.

Trudeau is getting tossed on his butt next time, that's for sure. I wouldn't bet on who wins your elections though. Way too soon to make that call.

And even if Biden loses, there is no guarantee that that pipeline gets approved. And even if the pipeline goes through and gas prices come down (extremely unlikely), manufacturers can't change on a dime every 4 years. The run of cheap v8's in any car/truck we want is gone forever. I agree that electrical has stalled and will be pushed back past projected targets, but we'll probably be limping along with boosted 6ers and plug in hybrids for the forseeable future. I'd love to be proven wrong of course, nothing I like better than a big, burly, N/A v8.

Back