Motor Trend year-long TRD Pro

I’m curious what you guys think of MT’s year-long review. The director of photography wrote this and he lost me at wildflowers and turning radius. Also, he must not have seen the news about free tires for the TRD Pro after a mixup with factory toe-in specs. I have more thoughts, but I want to know how you read it.

Seems like he thought the exterior color was an awe inspiring feature especially next to the yellow flowers.🤔 Not sure I would use a $70K half-ton truck to haul gravel in the bed. Better to have it delivered in a dump truck. Never am a fan of a large infotainment screen that seems placed on a dash as an afterthought. Large turning radius was a good observation to point out. I can honestly say I’m glad I didn’t buy one (even though I had a ‘22 on order for 61/2 months and it never showed up, lucky me). At least his engine didn’t self destruct. 🫢
I’m curious what you guys think of MT’s year-long review. The director of photography wrote this and he lost me at wildflowers and turning radius. Also, he must not have seen the news about free tires for the TRD Pro after a mixup with factory toe-in specs. I have more thoughts, but I want to know how you read it.

I just finished reading the article and actually thought it was pretty decent. If he only complained about the large turning circle while mentioning it's his first truck I would roll my eyes but letting us know it's 3 ft larger than the RAM drove the point home and made sense, It has a bad turning circle compared to its peers.

As for the tires it sounds like the non Toyota set he purchased are working out fine so I assume the camber issue was fixed at some point probably before he purchased it. I've also mentioned that the OEM tires Toyota provides are garbage knockoffs and just a waste of rubber but I guess that's just my opinion, and his.

I found his thoughts on the suspension spot on and interesting when comparing it to the truck that Toyota is chasing, the Raptor. It doesn't matter what label the shocks have on them a bad system is a bad system. Most journalists just point out that it has TRD Pro Fox shocks "oooooh ahhhhh" and go no deeper, so someone actually comparing them and living with it means something to me.

Generally speaking he arrived at a similar conclusion I did when comparing new trucks in late 2021 and early 2022. Pretty decent in some areas and pretty underwhelming in others.

It seems like he pointed out three flaws: tires, turning radius, and suspension. But I find it odd that he couldn't recommend it. The tire issue should have had a disclaimer as it is not reasonable for any new vehicle to go through tires that quickly, something had to be wrong. As for the turning radius, that depends. Is it bigger than GM and Ford as well? Same with suspension. He raves how comfortable it was on a road trip than bashes the suspension? I find that odd. I know he just gave his opinion, but it seemed he had the conclusion done earlier and really had to search for enough to back it up.

I think it's a decent review. A tight turning circle is so nice. I didn't realize how nice it was until I went from a 2011 Ford to 2018 Tundra. For Toyota to have a worse turning circle on an updated model is baffling to me. I think he could have mentioned a lot more things bad about the truck but didn't. It seems like he was trying to be as balanced with the likes and dislikes as he could.

I don't have a problem with the review. I was thinking about buying a TRD pro after I drove one. if I didn't have the 1794 limited edition that would be the truck for me. it all comes down to what you want to do with the truck in the after market. I do have a problem with the tires also and will be making the change when the tire is dead. other than that its all good in my book

I’m curious what you guys think of MT’s year-long review. The director of photography wrote this and he lost me at wildflowers and turning radius. Also, he must not have seen the news about free tires for the TRD Pro after a mixup with factory toe-in specs.
It sounds like the review might have missed the mark for you with its focus on wildflowers and turning radius rather than core performance and practical issues like the tire mixup. Hopefully, they cover the essentials in the long-term review!

Back