Million mile gasser

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
One of the reasons I was in Texas to film this guy's million-mile gasser. The video, sadly, isn't doing that well. Maybe the balloon has popped on interest in million-mile trucks. I don't know.

I do find it interesting the number of people questioning his mileage since he didn't do maintenance. I should have pressed him to explain what he did and how he got the mileage up. He did respond to several comments on YouTube explaining he drives a lot with his ranch and his life.

My interest in the questioning is really more of a statement of where we are in society. We seem to question anything and unless YOU can show me the PROOF which I may or may not agree with, then I don't believe a word you said.

Case in point, I had an old friend on Facebook blow up on messenger around the time of doing this video. We were talking about a variety of things related to diesel emissions and what not. He said, "all truck owners lie. The EPA lies. All mechanics lie. All journalists lie." I was a bit taken aback. I mean, if you believe EVERYONE, lies, then, who do you trust? No one? Seems like a tough way to go if you don't believe in anyone.

What happened to believing people are basically good? I do. I told Brian I believed him. Why? My reasoning is what does he have to gain for being on video with me? Nothing. He made zero money and opened himself to criticism. Really sad, IMO, people are questioning him and challenging him. Why is it so unbelievable a guy in rural Texas would drive his ranch truck over a million miles?

I've noticed that with other million-mile truck stories. The Tundra is a great example. All the work was done at dealer and they had paper copies of the service records. I read a few comments where people were looking for theories on how the truck's maintenance records were faked.

Rather discouraging from my line of work to be honest. No matter what I tell you on camera, I'm lying to you? What?? My integrity means more to me than that.

One of the reasons I was in Texas to film this guy's million-mile gasser. The video, sadly, isn't doing that well. Maybe the balloon has popped on interest in million-mile trucks. I don't know.

I do find it interesting the number of people questioning his mileage since he didn't do maintenance. I should have pressed him to explain what he did and how he got the mileage up. He did respond to several comments on YouTube explaining he drives a lot with his ranch and his life.

My interest in the questioning is really more of a statement of where we are in society. We seem to question anything and unless YOU can show me the PROOF which I may or may not agree with, then I don't believe a word you said.

Case in point, I had an old friend on Facebook blow up on messenger around the time of doing this video. We were talking about a variety of things related to diesel emissions and what not. He said, "all truck owners lie. The EPA lies. All mechanics lie. All journalists lie." I was a bit taken aback. I mean, if you believe EVERYONE, lies, then, who do you trust? No one? Seems like a tough way to go if you don't believe in anyone.

What happened to believing people are basically good? I do. I told Brian I believed him. Why? My reasoning is what does he have to gain for being on video with me? Nothing. He made zero money and opened himself to criticism. Really sad, IMO, people are questioning him and challenging him. Why is it so unbelievable a guy in rural Texas would drive his ranch truck over a million miles?

I've noticed that with other million-mile truck stories. The Tundra is a great example. All the work was done at dealer and they had paper copies of the service records. I read a few comments where people were looking for theories on how the truck's maintenance records were faked.

Rather discouraging from my line of work to be honest. No matter what I tell you on camera, I'm lying to you? What?? My integrity means more to me than that.

I think its because people cant believe an American vehicle can get that many miles, I am of the belief that a lot of American vehicles get very high miles but there is no fanfare when it happens.

Well there are lots of folks who don’t believe we landed on the moon. Also the earth is flat, right? For me the Pandemic really opened my eyes as to what many Americans are really like.

Well there are many folks who believe we never landed on the moon🤔.

Well there are many folks who don’t believe we landed on the moon 🤔. And the earth is flat, right 🫣. The pandemic really opened my eyes as to what many Americans are really like but that’s a whole different topic that doesn’t belong on this forum. Just continue to give us the facts and those that don’t want to believe them tough 💩.

I believe it if it's the GM 6.0? That engine is legendary. Sadly they don't build them like that anymore.
Yup 6.0L. What's funny is the transmission in that video. I couldn't remember how many gears it had and neither could he off the top of his head. I could have stopped filming and Googled it, but that would have killed the vibe. There was some "creative" editing around that discussion in the final video. LOL.

To me, these stories aren't as interesting because there's nothing surprising or out of the ordinary. Living in SoCal, out of the rust belt, I was so used to seeing high mileage vehicles every day it was no big deal. So many great classics just cruising down the street going for groceries or to Walmart. Now if you produce that same vehicle in New England or Michigan, and it didn't just relocate there, color me amazed, flabbergasted, and astonished!

I believe this is due to the multitude of information and opinions on social media. Additionally, since this data is often presented in a form to "make money", it leads to skepticism about the underlying motives. The capacity for public feedback through comments also contributes to a "mob mentality," where one person's statement can trigger a flood of like reactions, regardless of the factual basis.

I admit it's weird as a truck guy I don't care about these types of videos and haven't watched the one we're referencing. It has all of the pieces of a good story but I just don't want to give it any time out of my "YouTube" relaxing time which is a tight budget lol. I will probably watch it when I run out of current content.

I admit it's weird as a truck guy I don't care about these types of videos and haven't watched the one we're referencing. It has all of the pieces of a good story but I just don't want to give it any time out of my "YouTube" relaxing time which is a tight budget lol. I will probably watch it when I run out of current content.
What are you watching with your budget then? Just curious.

What are you watching with your budget then? Just curious.
Lately it's all new releases: LC, 4runner, Hybrid Tacoma, RAM content, some people getting their Raptors. This is mostly your channel, TFL and Truck King, some Driving Sports TV. I did watch a throttle house video on them braking their loaner LC which they addmitedly were being idiots but it's a decent video.

Then comparisons:
The Toyota conundrum (LC, 4Runner, Sequoia, GX) and then Vs. Bronco, Wrangler, Defender etc.
Project farm best windshield water repellant etc. Hint: for the money, Rain X.

Randoms:
Several Neil Degrasse Tyson videos
Vice Grip Garage restorations
Your EPA video and the DI/Catch can video
The fall of Black Series Trailers (They're junk now after an ownership change, their biggest US dealer dropped them)

Then there's this jack ass who for the last two years has been talking about the "crash of the truck market" and the imminent doom of RAM, Ford, Jeep etc. Everyone one of his videos is about these topics...I finally had to watch one of his videos. (I don't subscribe)

Also, I just looked through my YouTube history and evidently one of my sons (13 and 16) are watching girls in thongs get massages and chiropractic work... I can be kind of proud of that right?

Also, I just looked through my YouTube history and evidently one of my sons (13 and 16) are watching girls in thongs get massages and chiropractic work... I can be kind of proud of that right?
YES! LOL.

And yeah, that dude is a jack ass with the market crashing stuff.

Aren't they all really? CarEdge, etc.? How many times can they do a video saying the exact same thing?
They are the most frustrating part of my job lately. I try to do legitimate reporting and yet they don't even care. They then get 100x the views I get. Just sad and frustrating.

I watched the video and enjoyed it. I’ve heard lots of good things about that engine so I think it’s possible for it to go that many miles. Good maintenance makes all the difference. I tend to trust individuals a lot more than big companies and the government. The older I get, the more BS that I see and make a mental note where it came from.

They are the most frustrating part of my job lately. I try to do legitimate reporting and yet they don't even care. They then get 100x the views I get. Just sad and frustrating.
It's like that in any industry and YT is just another. You can be a schlock house and just dump a bunch of low-quality crap on the market and you will win. Or stick to quality, consistency, and struggle to make it. How you feel about it matters the most. You either take pride in the actual product or you take pride in the amount of money you made from the product.

Back