Manufacturer’s suggested oil viscosity different depending on location(ie:latitude?).

James-kd2cm

I’m not sure if I’ve misread this online or not. I have a 2023 Ram with a hemi and I live in Canada. The oil viscosity written on the fill cap is 0W20 for us. From some forums I’ve looked at it seems that in some of the United States the suggested oil is 5w20. I assume this is due to the warmer weather. I also hear of some users jumping up to one thicker viscosity to eliminate the hemi tick if they have it. I know oil is a very much a debated subject online…just wondered your thoughts. I’ve always Used manufacturers suggested and I’m on my 3rd hemi. I have heard at tick the odd time just at startup in extremely hot weather. I could see using 5w20 in the summer for the hot weather starts and 0w20 for the cold weather in the Ontario winter.

Me, I stick to what the manual calls out. I hear a lot of static about using different oils online but I gotta consider the source and complete lack of hard evidence. One is an automotive engineer working with the engine daily and conducting durability tests we haven't even thought of with more data inputs than lost 10mm sockets in a Honda garage. The other is a 20-something IT tech that bought his first truck last year but has conducted one oil change and he already knows the engine is wearing less and will last 500K miles. Sure, where's the data?

Me, I stick to what the manual calls out. I hear a lot of static about using different oils online but I gotta consider the source and complete lack of hard evidence. One is an automotive engineer working with the engine daily and conducting durability tests we haven't even thought of with more data inputs than lost 10mm sockets in a Honda garage. The other is a 20-something IT tech that bought his first truck last year but has conducted one oil change and he already knows the engine is wearing less and will last 500K miles. Sure, where's the data?
That’s what I’ve always done as well… I was just surprised when I saw a dealer suggesting a different viscosity in the USA than what is recommended in Canada for the same truck.

That’s what I’ve always done as well… I was just surprised when I saw a dealer suggesting a different viscosity in the USA than what is recommended in Canada for the same truck.
Old school thinking on oil is very vibrant today. None of that thinking takes into account new engine design with tighter tolerances.

I have several friends who are mechanics and they all follow the manufacturer's recommendation after working on new engines. It isn't even a question for them.

Back