Is YouTube oversaturated with automotive content?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting post from @NMTRUCKER. It got me to look at the analytics.

From Jan 1 until today:

2020 - 2.3 million views
2021 - 3.0 million views
2022 - 4.7 million views
2023 - 3.3 million views
2024 - 3 million views

IMO - the views don't mirror the economy or if YT is saturated. Instead, it is about the truck or the content that was published during the time. The big year? That was the Tundra year.

Thoughts?
Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 3.11.09 PM.png

I agree, and that's a good comment. I didn't start watching YouTube videos about trucks until 2020 when I was looking for my new truck and couldn't find much inventory with the specific options I was looking for so I turned to YouTube for help and specifically direct comparisons. I also think 2021-23 were big years because of the amount of new trucks hitting the market full size and then especially the mid-size segment.

However, I think the consistent respectable channels that provide good content will rise and last. The "shock jockeys" of YouTube will die off. I think people in general are tiring of the polarity of the last 8 years one way or the other. It's old.

Last edited:
I agree, and that's a good comment. I didn't start watching YouTube videos about trucks until 2020 when I was looking for my new truck and couldn't find much inventory with the specific options I was looking for so I turned to YouTube for help and specifically direct comparisons. I also think 2021-23 were big years because of the amount of new trucks hitting the market full size and then especially the mid-size segment.

However, I think the consistent respectable channels that provide good content will rise and last. The "shock jockeys" of YouTube will die off. I think people in general are tiring of the polarity of the last 8 years one way or the other. It's old.
You are spot-on with shock jocks. I was thinking about this some more with your comment. Once upon a time, you mentioned I really needed something to make the channel stand out. Like my own Ike Gauntlet type thing. I've thought a bunch about and what that would be. I've struggled to find anything and then it occurred to me. Maybe I already have that thing people come to watch me and Jill for.

I mean, the way I see the channel is three-fold:

- Practical, real-world reviews with a city or country focus
- Interesting news items that could impact your next purchase or be of interest to general truck fans
- Unique owner interviews (Million Mile trucks, owner reviews, etc..)

Frankly I think once you see people's signature events or things a few times, it gets old real fast. I tend to believe PUTT will be around for the long-run since I don't actually have a schtick. Rather, I put out the consistent news and review content that may not get millions of views, but they are, IMO, pretty valuable to real consumers.

You are spot-on with shock jocks. I was thinking about this some more with your comment. Once upon a time, you mentioned I really needed something to make the channel stand out. Like my own Ike Gauntlet type thing. I've thought a bunch about and what that would be. I've struggled to find anything and then it occurred to me. Maybe I already have that thing people come to watch me and Jill for.

I mean, the way I see the channel is three-fold:

- Practical, real-world reviews with a city or country focus
- Interesting news items that could impact your next purchase or be of interest to general truck fans
- Unique owner interviews (Million Mile trucks, owner reviews, etc..)

Frankly I think once you see people's signature events or things a few times, it gets old real fast. I tend to believe PUTT will be around for the long-run since I don't actually have a schtick. Rather, I put out the consistent news and review content that may not get millions of views, but they are, IMO, pretty valuable to real consumers.

I think you do great. I'm drawn to comparisons with two trucks or a series dedicated to comparing a few trucks or SUV's. That's may be just me but your favorite videos of mine are the comparisons. The 1/2 towing video, the the 1/2 ton video where you had all 5 trucks and had each owner go through all of the vehicles. I thought that was really fascinating and genius, it worked.

I don't tend to watch anyone's one off reviews of anything other than a truck and even those I'm not watching as much anymore. I've seen all of the 2024 Tacoma videos I need to watch. I don't have an interest in mid-size SUV's but I would watch a series on what is the best mid-size SUV out there for the money today. Best for hauling family, towing, performance, best 3rd row etc.

I think I like those because it's fresh in the presenters mind. "I just got out of a new RAM 1500 and now I'm in a Chevy 1/2 ton, this stands out to me as better or worse or just different." I find that interesting. To be honest, and this goes for EVERY YouTube channel lately everthing is awesome. The nea RAM, the Tacoma, the 4Runner you can't find a press event with someone really criticizing a build or vehicle. I understand that they're built well, I'm not saying one of them is a failure, but when you get in 2 different ones back to back and have seat time differences show up. Good or bad.

Those comparisons are what work for me and get me excited for a video.

Those comparisons are what work for me and get me excited for a video.
That's another reason why buying trucks works for me. Every press loan I get turns into at least one comparison video. Then, I do a one-off review as well. That way everyone can find things they are looking for.

And the 5 truck thing was a miracle to be honest. It is very rare for that to happen for me.

Interesting post from @NMTRUCKER. It got me to look at the analytics.

From Jan 1 until today:

2020 - 2.3 million views
2021 - 3.0 million views
2022 - 4.7 million views
2023 - 3.3 million views
2024 - 3 million views

IMO - the views don't mirror the economy or if YT is saturated. Instead, it is about the truck or the content that was published during the time. The big year? That was the Tundra year.

Thoughts?
View attachment 458
Can you post the number of YT subscribers for those same years?

Tim, being in the industry so long, are many of the other reviewers new to automotive journalism or do most come from the dying print/blog world of automotive journalism? I was wondering if that was the cause for the increase in content. Or apparent increase anyway.

That's another reason why buying trucks works for me. Every press loan I get turns into at least one comparison video. Then, I do a one-off review as well. That way everyone can find things they are looking for.

And the 5 truck thing was a miracle to be honest. It is very rare for that to happen for me.
Tim, I like your channel for the three caracteristics you see in your channel, but also the things you learn about a truck that can only come from living with it a while. I also appreciate your engineer interviews about the development of a new generation of make/model and what they are doing to address design deficiencies. The other channel that takes that approach that I like is Savagegeese.

thanks for your work on the channel.

The problem with YouTube auto testers is they use the same vehicles on every test, its boring, its always the highest end trims and nothing else, that's surely because the auto makers want to push people to buy these trims but I am not interested.
I remember when I ordered my 2004 Silverado WT RCLB 4x4 V6 5 speed the dealer tried to get me to buy a top line Silverado with 4 wheel steer they had sitting in front of the show room, if I remember right it was $38,000 about double what my Silverado cost $18,500 with rebates.

The problem with YouTube auto testers is they use the same vehicles on every test, its boring, its always the highest end trims and nothing else, that's surely because the auto makers want to push people to buy these trims but I am not interested.
I remember when I ordered my 2004 Silverado WT RCLB 4x4 V6 5 speed the dealer tried to get me to buy a top line Silverado with 4 wheel steer they had sitting in front of the show room, if I remember right it was $38,000 about double what my Silverado cost $18,500 with rebates.
It isn't so much about automakers wanting you buy the higher trims, it is the higher trims have the new features. On occassion, I'll review a lower trim level and I guarantee you I'll get asked about 20 times about some feature that the truck doesn't have. People want to know about the features they COULD order and if it is worth the money.

I don't think YouTube is oversaturated with automotive content. In fact, there are still some topics/videos I can't find. (Have you tried looking up road trip in a pickup truck? Where's the video of a nice 80's Dodge cruising the Tail of the Dragon in fall?) Also, where are the follow up videos? Many vloggers seem to forget they're doing a series.

Tim and Jill offer a great gift in information, education, and entertainment. I learn a lot from them and they're approachable (within the online context.) With that said, I watch other channels to get the emotional stuff that comes from long term ownerships and day to day experience. (The one thing you can't get when changing vehicles every week.) I also like the big adventures people have in them

Here's some examples:

Oversaturated? Not yet.

Have you tried looking up road trip in a pickup truck?
Not a video and not a pickup truck but I'm reading Tom Cotter's America's Greatest Road Trip Keywest to Deadhorse. Tom's the host of the Barnfind Podcast. The trip was done in a Ford Bronco and Airstream trailer sticking to back roads for most of the 9000 miles. Not much on the truck in the book, but some great photography and interesting stories of the folks he met aling the way.

America's Greatest Road Trip!:... https://www.amazon.com/dp/0760381062?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I don't think YouTube is oversaturated with automotive content. In fact, there are still some topics/videos I can't find. (Have you tried looking up road trip in a pickup truck? Where's the video of a nice 80's Dodge cruising the Tail of the Dragon in fall?) Also, where are the follow up videos? Many vloggers seem to forget they're doing a series.

Tim and Jill offer a great gift in information, education, and entertainment. I learn a lot from them and they're approachable (within the online context.) With that said, I watch other channels to get the emotional stuff that comes from long term ownerships and day to day experience. (The one thing you can't get when changing vehicles every week.) I also like the big adventures people have in them

Here's some examples:

Oversaturated? Not yet.
When I posted the “Oversaturated YT Auto Journalism Market” topic it was meant for the new vehicle segment. Maybe I should have called that out more clearly.
What spurred that post was the reveal of the new Toyota 4-Runner. The same 3 4-Runners were covered exhaustively by every YTUBER known to man. That and then Tim posted a short asking for more subscribers.
Looking at dealer lots they are abundant with new vehicles. This wasn’t the case from 2020-2023 and that’s when the YT new vehicle viewership escalated quickly. I do think that trend has peaked.
The car auto maintenance YT portion is still growing. Take for example “The Car Care Nut”. In just a few years his subscriber base has exceeded 1 million and there are others with similar trends.

When I posted the “Oversaturated YT Auto Journalism Market” topic it was meant for the new vehicle segment. Maybe I should have called that out more clearly.
What spurred that post was the reveal of the new Toyota 4-Runner. The same 3 4-Runners were covered exhaustively by every YTUBER known to man. That and then Tim posted a short asking for more subscribers.
Looking at dealer lots they are abundant with new vehicles. This wasn’t the case from 2020-2023 and that’s when the YT new vehicle viewership escalated quickly. I do think that trend has peaked.
The car auto maintenance YT portion is still growing. Take for example “The Car Care Nut”. In just a few years his subscriber base has exceeded 1 million and there are others with similar trends.
The other way to look at this is YouTube continues to grow and the next generation growing up is increasingly turning to YouTube to learn about things and not just how to unclog your toilet. My sons watch YouTube only and they never watch cable TV. That generation wants to only watch videos and they want to learn about vehicles first on YouTube then go shopping not the other way around. This, for me, tells me I'll be just fine even with a car channel.

The other way to look at this is YouTube continues to grow and the next generation growing up is increasingly turning to YouTube to learn about things and not just how to unclog your toilet. My sons watch YouTube only and they never watch cable TV. That generation wants to only watch videos and they want to learn about vehicles first on YouTube then go shopping not the other way around. This, for me, tells me I'll be just fine even with a car channel.
My 14 year old nephew rarely watches TV he is usually watching You Tube videos about Ford Super Duties with 6 liter diesels (he got one from a local wrecking yard and car hoarder that the owner passed away and they are selling everything at scrap prices)
20240428_112943.jpg

to be honest yes. but there are only a hand full that have anything that means anything. its like everyone that has a new truck or a channel feels like they know what they are talking about. pages like yours is hands down the top of the self. so when you get pass all the BS channels there are only the best.

Back