Is there any interest in used trucks on the channel?

Saddle Tramp

Tim and Jill do an excellent job on keeping us informed on all the new pickups and SUVs/Crossovers coming out; corporate news; industry insights; and everything that goes with it and I'm extremely grateful, but I wonder if there is any interest on the used side of trucks as well?

For example: I found this 1998 Land Rover for sale and thought it would be great for a full battery of tests. Mileage run, payload, comfort, reliability, durability, ease of use. You know. All the questions

Can it be dailied? How hard is it to do basic maintenance? How much gas does it drink? What's it like to tow with? How does it handle under load?

What are your thoughts?

Link

Since new ones are so expensive, I think looking at used trucks from owners perspectives is a great idea! Anytime Tim (or others) spend time talking about what it’s been like to own it. That’s when I listen for those quirks to come out.

Tim and Jill do an excellent job on keeping us informed on all the new pickups and SUVs/Crossovers coming out; corporate news; industry insights; and everything that goes with it and I'm extremely grateful, but I wonder if there is any interest on the used side of trucks as well?

For example: I found this 1998 Land Rover for sale and thought it would be great for a full battery of tests. Mileage run, payload, comfort, reliability, durability, ease of use. You know. All the questions

Can it be dailied? How hard is it to do basic maintenance? How much gas does it drink? What's it like to tow with? How does it handle under load?

What are your thoughts?

Link
I've had this question come up a fair amount. The challenge is getting the views to make it worthwhile. Unless I have an owner interview or a high-mileage truck, people just don't watch.

Also, search traffic is a problem too. People just don't search say old Land Rovers or 1998 Land Rovers. They search new Land Rover or 2025 Land Rover.

Videos have about a 3-year shelf life. You have a spike when the vehicle is brand new and people are out searching for it. Then, you have a spike with slightly used vehicles with a year or two on them. And then you have the final spike at year 3 when the leases get turned in and people search for a video to see what it was like new. After that, most videos get maybe 1 or 2 views every month if you are lucky.

For example, my 22 Tundra video with the fuel economy test I did has been doing pretty well lately and just became my most-watched video. This makes sense with the 2024 models out and a 2025 right around the corner.

The previous #1 was the 2019 Ford Ranger top 5 likes/dislikes. That video is starting to fade quickly since it is now 5 model years old and there is a new model on the market. Nobody is really watching a video on the older model with the shiny, new model coming out.

Thank you! :) This is the information I need. I understand it now. I bounce all over the Tube , watching classic and odd pickups. It skews my perception.

I think that if this were the specific realm of one channel it may work. Like if someone drove a different used vehicle every week to give a how's it holding up that might work, but even then that's only 52 vehicles a year. Two per week might be possible, but 104 out of many thousands of combinations would be really hard I think. Someone who specialized in a specific brand would have an easier time with that I imagine.

I really like the older trucks. Probably because I'm older. I see that the prices on used trucks and SUV's from the early to mid-2000's is way above KBB right now and have been for awhile. If you see a Suburban, Tahoe, or Yukon on Bring a Trailer in decent shape from that era or even late 90's, they go for premium $. TFL has there TFL Classic channel and I tend to watch a lot of those videos. It might be worth it for Tim to do some if it was convenient, but I doubt they will do too well unless it's a towing or MPG comparison to newer trucks.

TFL has there TFL Classic channel and I tend to watch a lot of those videos. It might be worth it for Tim to do some if it was convenient, but I doubt they will do too well unless it's a towing or MPG comparison to newer trucks.
TFL just released this video on the TFL truck channel instead of classics. They are making a series of videos that are right up my alley. They are making a considerable investment in buying these rigs for 4 videos. I'm sure it must pay off for them because they've done comparisons like this before. I'm not going to speak for Tim here, but I suspect is would be a big risk financially and a pain in the butt logistically to do something like this with older vehicles unless you have the team in place to help and sponsors on board already.

Back