Is the 2024 Tacoma i-Force underpowered?

Blarnold

Is the standard non-hybrid engine in the new Tacoma underpowered? Obviously I have not driven one and I see differing opinions online.

I’m currently on a list with a dealer and I’m wondering if I should hold out for a hybrid.

I’m wanting a TRD Off Road. Will do light off-roading and it will be my daily driver.

Thoughts?

What differing opinions are you seeing? I think every single person who has driven the gas only model has been very impressed with how it performs. I have only seen people who have not driven it and try to compare it other vehicles say it's underpowered.

For what you are going to use it for the gas model seems like it'll work well. The hybrid will be more fun to drive for sure, and will probably get a little better gas mileage. But it will cost some amount more. It seems likely the same model and option package will be $2-4k more. You get the hybrid powertrain, a 2400 watt inverter, 18 inch brakes and some other upgraded components to handle the additional torque. You'll probably also get some additional payload.

The questions you have to ask are do I need that or not for the price I'll need to pay. I originally wanted the Trailhunter air hybrid OR, but once I saw how well the gas powertrain performed, and the price. It was pretty easy to be happy with the gas OR.

It's up to what to need, want and have the money for. If your not sure, wait until the hybrid comes out and people who have actually driven both can give their opinions it better yet, you can drive both.

Is the standard non-hybrid engine in the new Tacoma underpowered? Obviously I have not driven one and I see differing opinions online.

I’m currently on a list with a dealer and I’m wondering if I should hold out for a hybrid.

I’m wanting a TRD Off Road. Will do light off-roading and it will be my daily driver.

Thoughts?
It has plenty of power. Trust me. I’ve driven it. I’m an expert. LOL. I’ve always wanted to type that. Seriously, it is good.

Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually driven one.

I heard this is the place to find the experts.

Also, how does that bronze oxide look in person. Part of me wants to go solar octane but I usually go for more subdued colors.

Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually driven one.

I heard this is the place to find the experts.

Also, how does that bronze oxide look in person. Part of me wants to go solar octane but I usually go for more subdued colors.
The Bronze Oxide looks great in person. I know Solar Octane is a big hit with fans, but I'm going Bronze Oxide myself. I like it better.

i have driven it, I was unimpressed, my daily is a 2022 F150 2.7 4x4 and the new tacoma trd sport unfortunately does not compare at all. I felt it was completely gutless. it was also quite noisey if you really got into the gas, strange rattle noises.. i was surprised, maybe expected too much...

i have driven it, I was unimpressed, my daily is a 2022 F150 2.7 4x4 and the new tacoma trd sport unfortunately does not compare at all. I felt it was completely gutless. it was also quite noisey if you really got into the gas, strange rattle noises.. i was surprised, maybe expected too much...
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Where are you located?

from Ottawa Canada, I am going to try it again as everyone says its great. I certainly did not feel it was great

from Ottawa Canada, I am going to try it again as everyone says its great. I certainly did not feel it was great
That's why you drive them right? I think it certainly depends on where you are coming from too. If you are coming from a twin turbo 2.7, the hybrid is likely to be more inline with what you are used to. But now you know the base engine is probably not for you and that's great to know!

The Chevy/GMCs are definitely quicker and have more torque/hp compared to the base engine Tacoma. Though it did pretty well on the Ike Gauntlet compared to the Chevy, video came out this morning. Slightly slower, 2 seconds, on the hard acceleration, but still had a perfect score. It even did better on the downhill, which I would not have expected. But I think anytime you are coming from a bigger engine, a smaller one isn't going to feel better either. I'm coming from a Hyundai Tucson, if it isn't at least on par with that, hopefully better, then I'd probably go ZR2 myself. I'd prefer the hybrid, but our checkbook is already maxed out with the standard Off-road.

Again, thanks very much for sharing! Was it a base sport or premium? I think they do more sound damping in the premium models. I also believe they are piping some fake engine noise into the cabins which just adds to noise. The dealer might be able to turn that off.

it was a TRD sport + . dont get me wrong. I love the look of the new Tacoma inside and out. looks amazing, I really wanted one and I am going next week to take an off road for a test drive. I was just unimpressed with the take off power. I am trying to convince myself that I like it haha...

it was a TRD sport + . dont get me wrong. I love the look of the new Tacoma inside and out. looks amazing, I really wanted one and I am going next week to take an off road for a test drive. I was just unimpressed with the take off power. I am trying to convince myself that I like it haha...
I think it's important not to talk yourself into anything though. If you don't like something it might wear on you over time. If you think you'll get used to it or you can live with it, that's another thing entirely. You don't want to regret a purchase of this magnitude.

Back