Interesting article

We've been "discussing" that on Facebook. I call BS. Auto sales are surging right now and interest rates are really the only thing holding them back from being higher. I've known Dan Neil for a few years now and we don't agree on many things.

The thing I keyed on is things going into vehicles that I’m not sure everyone wants (massive screens and controls in the infotainment) and things people do want, but are being left out (a/c vents in backseats, sunroofs or pano roofs, good old fashioned controls).

The thing I keyed on is things going into vehicles that I’m not sure everyone wants (massive screens and controls in the infotainment) and things people do want, but are being left out (a/c vents in backseats, sunroofs or pano roofs, good old fashioned controls).
It is funny how many companies struggle to get the basics right while they wow you with the latest gadgets. Frankly, I think that’s why I have the audience I do. I don’t get wow’d that often and I focus on the basics. I don’t see a lot of my colleagues doing that.

It is funny how many companies struggle to get the basics right while they wow you with the latest gadgets. Frankly, I think that’s why I have the audience I do. I don’t get wow’d that often and I focus on the basics. I don’t see a lot of my colleagues doing that.
Maybe it’s a generational thing where companies are trying to appeal to a younger audience? In general the older one gets the less enamored one becomes with the latest and greatest gadgets, IMO.

Maybe it’s a generational thing where companies are trying to appeal to a younger audience? In general the older one gets the less enamored one becomes with the latest and greatest gadgets, IMO.
I think that's precisely it. I know I sure look at things differently. Features and gadgets are fun at first, but if they don't really improve my driving experience, I forget about them quickly.

The problem with "everyone wants" is that its subjective. I get far more use from the large screen on the infotainment than I do the sunroof I have on my truck.

The problem with "everyone wants" is that its subjective. I get far more use from the large screen on the infotainment than I do the sunroof I have on my truck.
Same here. I'm older but I have been in tech most of my life and want it. I like the screens, and the automatic features for a daily driver. Can't stand that I need to "plug" my phone in to get it integrated into the sound system. Couldn't care less about the back seat, I don't ride back there. Same with a sunroof. I haven't opened mine in years, not even the shade. But my wife and 30 year old son loves his.

Back