I figured out why Ford killed the extended cab, 6 foot bed.

Saddle Tramp

Yes crewcabs sell the most, but I say that a big reason why you can't get an extended cab or a regular cab long bed is because the new Ranger can fit a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells of the bed! That makes it old school full sized and a threat to F-150 sales.

Yes crewcabs sell the most, but I say that a big reason why you can't get an extended cab or a regular cab long bed is because the new Ranger can fit a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells of the bed! That makes it old school full sized and a threat to F-150 sales.
It would be neat if Ford sold the regular cab long bed version of the new Ranger in the USA, I have seen pictures and it is great looking.

That certainly can be true. It seems the Ranger doesn't fit in well with its siblings. Need a small work truck? Toyota or Nissan extended cabs would be better with the nod to Nissan for the lowest price and simple engine that will appeal to many. Want a daily or recreational truck? Toyota and GM fit the bill best there. Hard to argue with the Off-road or the Trailboss. The Maverick is a better small daily driver (and in Tremor version, maybe a better recreational truck) than the Ranger for Ford. The low end F150 is the better work truck by far. The best the Ranger has to offer is the Raptor which seems like a great deal for a fun-looking, high end recreational mid-size truck.

While True, Ford might want a F150 threat in their lineup. Prices for full-size truck will not decrease, which will force some out of the full-size segment. If you have kids or want to use a truck as a truck and still move a family around and stay under 60K the Ranger is where it’s at.

Just disappointed they do not offer a sunroof like in the Colorado, Canyon, Frontier, Tacoma, and Ridgeline. The claustrophobia of my wife will say NO to that one for sure. And honestly, with the 4-foot wide bed, and nice fabric interior, It would have been the way to go for me.

Honestly I doubt this is the main reason, extended and regular cab are very low sales compared to the large cabs, probably just doing like GM and cutting manufacturing costs. Can't blame them really, same thing with the manual transmission. A number of very supportive fans but most people are buying the other models.

Just disappointed they do not offer a sunroof like in the Colorado, Canyon, Frontier, Tacoma, and Ridgeline. The claustrophobia of my wife will say NO to that one for sure. And honestly, with the 4-foot wide bed, and nice fabric interior, It would have been the way to go for me.

I got you covered!

If she is that Claustrophobic go aftermarket for $1800. (Guessing on price)

The ability to carry plywood is always a hot topic. I can't remember the last time I carried plywood and I haven't brought home drywall in at least 5 years since I finished the basement. However, the ability to carry something of that width is a deal breaker for some.

The ability to carry plywood is always a hot topic. I can't remember the last time I carried plywood and I haven't brought home drywall in at least 5 years since I finished the basement. However, the ability to carry something of that width is a deal breaker for some.
Hauling plywood/drywall and the rear vents in the console are the two strangest things that people latch on to with these trucks as "deal breakers". Some act like big contractors will purchase fleets of Rangers for their drywall carrying capabilities. Or that the back seat of a mid-size is as far away from the A/C as the third row in a suburban. I read one complaint that because it didn't have 3-zone climate control, it was a deal breaker!

Hauling plywood/drywall and the rear vents in the console are the two strangest things that people latch on to with these trucks as "deal breakers". Some act like big contractors will purchase fleets of Rangers for their drywall carrying capabilities. Or that the back seat of a mid-size is as far away from the A/C as the third row in a suburban. I read one complaint that because it didn't have 3-zone climate control, it was a deal breaker!
The second-row vents for a compact has been a weird one for me too. The vents up front are literally strong enough for the 2nd row to get cold air blown in their face. If someone in the 2nd row bitches about air flow, they should be called a Prima Donna and I'd drop them off at the next stop sign. Bitch about my truck, go ahead and walk your butt home.

For me it's not plywood but the ability to have a bobcat drop a yard of topsoil, marl, or sand into the bed.

For the record, Marl should only be dumped into the bed of a heavy duty pickup as it's heavier than wet sand. -See Tim's rant on overloaded pickups.

For me it's not plywood but the ability to have a bobcat drop a yard of topsoil, marl, or sand into the bed.

For the record, Marl should only be dumped into the bed of a heavy duty pickup as it's heavier than wet sand. -See Tim's rant on overloaded pickups.
If you haven't overloaded your pickup truck do you really have a pickup truck? I remember my 1985 Toyota RCLB 4x4 pickup I overloaded the crap out of it many times, there was a sawmill that gave away free leftover cuttings, i had a steel expanded metal side racks so I would go there and stack the cuttings (usually 8' to 10' long) in there to the top of the racks and I went over the truck scale and whew boy was i surprised as I remember it was about 4000 pounds (all wet wood) , probably why the wheel bearing flamed out on me, the truck handled it like a champ other than the rear wheel bearings, thats why I have Hilux as a user name.

If you haven't overloaded your pickup truck do you really have a pickup truck? I remember my 1985 Toyota RCLB 4x4 pickup I overloaded the crap out of it many times, there was a sawmill that gave away free leftover cuttings, i had a steel expanded metal side racks so I would go there and stack the cuttings (usually 8' to 10' long) in there to the top of the racks and I went over the truck scale and whew boy was i surprised as I remember it was about 4000 pounds (all wet wood) , probably why the wheel bearing flamed out on me, the truck handled it like a champ other than the rear wheel bearings, thats why I have Hilux as a user name.
My neighbors pick on me when I talk about payload and not overloading. These farmers grew up overloading their trucks and they aren't about to change.

One time I interviewed a guy with a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD gas. He was towing something like 25,000 pounds of hay about 2 hours south into Colorado on a regular basis. I towed his load with a Ford F-350 Powerstroke. When I asked him about overloading his truck and how it pulled he looked at me and said, "once the rear tires stop spinning and get traction, I'm good to go!"

I made a mental note to NEVER get near him when he's on the road.

My neighbors pick on me when I talk about payload and not overloading. These farmers grew up overloading their trucks and they aren't about to change.

One time I interviewed a guy with a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD gas. He was towing something like 25,000 pounds of hay about 2 hours south into Colorado on a regular basis. I towed his load with a Ford F-350 Powerstroke. When I asked him about overloading his truck and how it pulled he looked at me and said, "once the rear tires stop spinning and get traction, I'm good to go!"

I made a mental note to NEVER get near him when he's on the road.

Those guys are the reason these pictures exist:
503516501_F350framefailure.jpg.75b550d6c216c178cda5c1eb58d16120.jpg

The second-row vents for a compact has been a weird one for me too. The vents up front are literally strong enough for the 2nd row to get cold air blown in their face. If someone in the 2nd row bitches about air flow, they should be called a Prima Donna and I'd drop them off at the next stop sign. Bitch about my truck, go ahead and walk your butt home.
Well, here's one solution. Only $8 on Temu. They have another one called the "jewel cooler". Basically you slide the hose up the leg of your shorts...lol

Screenshot 2024-03-22 232034.png

Back