HP/Torq difference in 24 tacoma with Basic and Premium

Fightnfire

Often times we talk about about things and don't really see the data, this post from Tacomaworld is interesting and I tought I would share it here. This is from a shop that does tunes. Here they're comparing peak tq and hp using 91 and 85 octane fuel. A reduction of 45ish torque. Also note the engine RPM that the max torque is available at.

Link to exact post in thread:

This is a 2024 Tacoma showing the differences of performance using 85 and 91 grade fuel. Normal drive mode. This is one of the biggest differences I've ever seen on a controlled dyno. This isn't about the Tacoma really at all, more about the way the engine handles basic and premium fuel. Interesting.

Picture of graph:
1726847365518.png

I'm also reading the idea of elevations affecting fuel grades, 85, 86 and 87, doesn't apply to turbo engines like it does to NA engines. That would mean people in elevation driving a Tacoma would need to run 88, not 85 or 86. Has anyone else heard that or have a link?

I'm also reading the idea of elevations affecting fuel grades, 85, 86 and 87, doesn't apply to turbo engines like it does to NA engines. That would mean people in elevation driving a Tacoma would need to run 88, not 85 or 86. Has anyone else heard that or have a link?
It makes sense since the turbo will compensate for the lack of air and thus still require higher octane fuel to mess with timing.

Oh yeah, I've seen many dyno run charts with two different octanes showing the same reduction. It was huge back when the Hemi came out and recommended 89. The online arguments back and forth were crazy. Ultimately, dyno runs were posted to show there is a difference, but the other result was that the butt dyno could not tell the difference.

A good subject for a video. A hard comparison of daily driving and working/towing with all three grades. Say, on something like a brand new RHO.

Oh yeah, I've seen many dyno run charts with two different octanes showing the same reduction. It was huge back when the Hemi came out and recommended 89. The online arguments back and forth were crazy. Ultimately, dyno runs were posted to show there is a difference, but the other result was that the butt dyno could not tell the difference.

A good subject for a video. A hard comparison of daily driving and working/towing with all three grades. Say, on something like a brand new RHO.
The Butt Dyno is difficult to graph as well.

Hmm… :)

I’ve never seen 85 octane. Here in california its 87, 89, or 91
We have 85 here in Nebraska at 3,000 feet.

I actually chastised GM over octane recommendations. I mean, the 6.2L V8 requires 93 octane (per the manual). I can’t buy 93 where I live. 91 is the highest octane. I said they should rewrite their manual to just say premium and not a specific octane level OR something to that affect.

We have a special 88 octane on the east side of the state that has some ethanol in it. I had a viewer ask and I wrote a story about it years ago after digging into it. Just a different octane you can use.

Back