Hitch advise

chaseydog

I'm looking to buy a trailer hitch for an AT4. My short term need to for a utility trailer I'm intending on renting to move a tool cabinet. Other than that I don't have any other near term plans for towing but may purchase an overland camping trailer in 4 to 5 years when I retire.

What should I be looking for in a hitch. Considering the AT4's 2" lift should I be looking for a drop hitch. Any advice would be appreciated.

You must be talking the ball mount. Honestly, there are so many out there, anything will do, even HF. The two main factors to concern yourself with is the ball mount capacity and the height. Capacity is easy, you want a ball & mount that meets or exceeds what you are towing. 10K trailer? Then you need a 10K mount & ball. The height is simple as well. Measure from the ground to your hitch tube on your truck. Then measure from the ground to the ball socket on the trailer tongue when the trailer is level. You need a mount that will make those equal. So, if the truck is 2.5" taller, you need a mount with a 2.5" drop to level the combination out. Any squat in the truck when connected will be fine as you can have the trailer nose down, but not nose up. Most everything these days needs a drop because the trucks are much taller. Unless you are really going to tow many different trailers, I wouldn't bother with the expense of multi-height mounts. I have a small light mount for a utility trailer only rated to 3K like the trailer then I have a heavier 10K mount for my bigger trailer. Two were still cheaper than one multi mount. Etrailer.com has more options than anyone I have seen.

How big is the trailer and how many tool boxes? Is it one of the professional drawer, or just a bunch of tool chests?

If you look at my pics in the what did you do with your truck thread you'll see lots of towing and I just use a standard 5,000 lb ball.

I'd recommend a drop receiver for your trucks height.

How big is the trailer and how many tool boxes? Is it one of the professional drawer, or just a bunch of tool chests?

If you look at my pics in the what did you do with your truck thread you'll see lots of towing and I just use a standard 5,000 lb ball.

I'd recommend a drop receiver for your trucks height.
I was planning on picking up a 56" US General lower cabinet and hutch from HF next time theres a sale. I'd likey rent a 6x10 utility from Tractor Supply. The trailer can hold 2000 lbs, I'm guessing the cabinet, hutch, and any packaging would be about half of that.

Then the standard 5,000 lb ball will definitely work. Most likely it will be a 2" ball, but check the trailer first to see what size ball it needs.

Take a tape measure with you and measure one of the trailers at T/S from the ground to the hitch when it's level and then take that measurement to the back of your truck to see if you need a drop hitch and if so, by how much.

Back