High Output Air compressor

Ok, that answers my earlier question about you driving a Limited. Maybe you didn't get the opportunity. I know I watched some video of somebody driving it, so I assumed you did as well but didn't add the clip. Regardless, the one driven was a part-time 4wd system and is also the one being passed around to the media. If it has a part-time 4wd because it is pre-production, you would think that Toyota would have made that clear so the media would properly inform everyone.

Ok, that answers my earlier question about you driving a Limited. Maybe you didn't get the opportunity. I know I watched some video of somebody driving it, so I assumed you did as well but didn't add the clip. Regardless, the one driven was a part-time 4wd system and is also the one being passed around to the media. If it has a part-time 4wd because it is pre-production, you would think that Toyota would have made that clear so the media would properly inform everyone.
I wonder if the journalist made a mistake. That's not uncommon on a first drive. Imagine being thrown into a tornado and asked to start filming immediately.

If it's a mistake, it's been spread since the test drives were done. Including TFL and TRD Jon as well as others. Plus, Jon specifically pointed it out at the LA Show with the hybrid on display there.

The question of what comes on the hybrid and what doesn't would be very good to know considering only the lesser one will be released soon.

I asked Toyota for clarification. Here’s the answer:

“The 2024 Tacoma Limited gas comes in part-time 4WD and the Limited Hybrid comes with full-time 4WD. The air compressor is only standard on Trailhunter. The Limited comes pre-wired for the air compressor but the compressor is an optional accessory.”

Great answer Tim! So the compressor location will be wired like the Aux switches. Why is it so hard for them to add that? Now get them to fix their damn website!!

Also, I just wanna add something about your video on the Colorado & Ranger. The specs you used do not match the websites. The Chevy website lists the curbweight 400#s less than you did putting them the same as the Ranger. The Ford website lists the width w/ and w/o mirrors making it wider than the Chevy. And I think height is closer because Ford lists "cab height" and Chevy list height w/ antenna. These changes do make sense considering the extra hip room in the Ford plus headroom.

Tim, I watched the podcast last night with you and Jill. I will do a video of my own on why I switched back to Ice and add some areas where I may disagree a bit with Jill on a few electric vehicle items, but that's another topic.

You said you were surprised by this thread, but I think that thread is a good example of where those who review cars all of the time, or any specific product category, sometimes lose the perspective of the consumer. This example of confusing information from Toyota makes it difficult for a buyer to know what the truth is and that's just not a great experience.

Beyond that, those buying the Off-Road trim, presumably have some interest in taking that vehicle off-road and maybe cannot afford the price tag of the Trailhunter that is coming. Having on-board air that you don't have to remember to pack with you or have take up additional space is a big deal for multi-day Overlanding trips or just going off-road in Colorado, Utah, or really anywhere. That feature is something I was personally very excited to see.

That's my case at least. When pricing was announced and the premium package was $8800, that seemed really steep. When many of those at the drive events and in reviews have stated that the Premium Off-Road did come with the High Output Air Compressor, that price tag seemed more reasonable. Then if Toyota decided not to include that, I guess that is fine, but there was no change in the Premium price either and that feature is probably $300-$1000.

As a consumer the lack of transparency with something like this causes some consternation with a brand and vehicle we want to be excited about. So I'm just left feeling confused as a consumer. I hope that makes sense.

Great answer Tim! So the compressor location will be wired like the Aux switches. Why is it so hard for them to add that? Now get them to fix their damn website!!

Also, I just wanna add something about your video on the Colorado & Ranger. The specs you used do not match the websites. The Chevy website lists the curbweight 400#s less than you did putting them the same as the Ranger. The Ford website lists the width w/ and w/o mirrors making it wider than the Chevy. And I think height is closer because Ford lists "cab height" and Chevy list height w/ antenna. These changes do make sense considering the extra hip room in the Ford plus headroom.
Huh. That’s interesting on the specs. I used the media website verbatim.

Tim, I watched the podcast last night with you and Jill. I will do a video of my own on why I switched back to Ice and add some areas where I may disagree a bit with Jill on a few electric vehicle items, but that's another topic.

You said you were surprised by this thread, but I think that thread is a good example of where those who review cars all of the time, or any specific product category, sometimes lose the perspective of the consumer. This example of confusing information from Toyota makes it difficult for a buyer to know what the truth is and that's just not a great experience.

Beyond that, those buying the Off-Road trim, presumably have some interest in taking that vehicle off-road and maybe cannot afford the price tag of the Trailhunter that is coming. Having on-board air that you don't have to remember to pack with you or have take up additional space is a big deal for multi-day Overlanding trips or just going off-road in Colorado, Utah, or really anywhere. That feature is something I was personally very excited to see.

That's my case at least. When pricing was announced and the premium package was $8800, that seemed really steep. When many of those at the drive events and in reviews have stated that the Premium Off-Road did come with the High Output Air Compressor, that price tag seemed more reasonable. Then if Toyota decided not to include that, I guess that is fine, but there was no change in the Premium price either and that feature is probably $300-$1000.

As a consumer the lack of transparency with something like this causes some consternation with a brand and vehicle we want to be excited about. So I'm just left feeling confused as a consumer. I hope that makes sense.
I can see the confusion and I’d be confused as well if I was in your shoes. The issue I have is I’m already on to the next thing most of time.

For example, I’m heading to drive the new GX, then Chicago Auto Show, Ram 1500, Ford Ranger and probably a few more events mixed in. Toss in the press loans and I’m about 20 vehicles beyond the Tacoma these days. Happy to circle back and see if I can’t answer more questions, just saying this business moves fast.

I can see the confusion and I’d be confused as well if I was in your shoes. The issue I have is I’m already on to the next thing most of time.

For example, I’m heading to drive the new GX, then Chicago Auto Show, Ram 1500, Ford Ranger and probably a few more events mixed in. Toss in the press loans and I’m about 20 vehicles beyond the Tacoma these days. Happy to circle back and see if I can’t answer more questions, just saying this business moves fast.
Yeah that totally makes sense, but makes my point of how your job can leave you a little out of touch with the actual consumer, but I'm not suggesting you are doing anything wrong. I think what you are doing here with this forum is probably pretty helpful in keeping you more in touch. So great job on creating the forum!

BTW, I was thinking about this yesterday, you can add an on-board air compressor to any truck. I added one to the Silverado for example. It is a pretty straightforward add on.

I bought an 88P from VIAIR for less than $100. Fills the 33"s on my truck and my trailer up to 65 PSI. Having the portability is great but I can see the advantage of just plugging in a hose and using it. So convenient considering I have to pop the hood and connect to the battery. Wonder what Toyota will sell theirs for?

Back