Help with first Truck Purchase?

kyle007us

Hi, I am hoping for some advice on my first truck purchase. I drive a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Track that I've had for 9 years now and it's really showing its age so I am looking to upgrade.

I first wanted a mid size truck, but due to backseat size now I am considering full size as well. I am planning to keep my next truck for 10-15 years, and the wife and I are getting a medium size dog this year and are planning to have kids within 5 years or so. So i'm not sure if midsize would be fine for that length of time, or if I should go to full size off the bat. I feel like mid-size is "all i need", but the extra space may be nice and most the research i've done people with mid size say it's not a great family car and to go full size. Still looking for advice on this.

As far as what I am using it for, we take it to the lake and tow a pontoon that is about 4k lbs trailer included. We may upgrade to a better boat at some point as well but this is really my only tow use, otherwise it would be nice to have a bed for fishing equipment, hauling logs for campfire at the lake, general jobs around there.

Needs: I would like the truck to have heated seats, a center console (no fold down bench chair), and a trailer brake controller would be nice. I would also like to stick with the current generation of each truck, since I do like a more modern interior. Leather is a want but certainly not a need.

My budget is anywhere from 35-45k, looking to get the best bang for my buck. Reliability is also very important to me as I will be keeping it for 10-15 years. Here are the main trucks I am considering with some average prices based on my needs above, thanks everyone for the help!

19-23 Ranger 30-35k
24 Tacoma SR5 New ~45k
24 Ranger XLT New~45k
23-Present or New Colorado/Canyon ~45k
----------------------------
21-Present F150 XLT ~35-45k (big variation)
22-Present Tundra SR5/Limited ~50k
22-Present Silverado/Sierra ~45k
19-Present Ram 1500 ~40-45k

Last edited:
Hi, I am hoping for some advice on my first truck purchase. I drive a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Track that I've had for 9 years now and it's really showing its age so I am looking to upgrade.

I first wanted a mid size truck, but due to backseat size now I am considering full size as well. I am planning to keep my next truck for 10-15 years, and the wife and I are getting a medium size dog this year and are planning to have kids within 5 years or so. So i'm not sure if midsize would be fine for that length of time, or if I should go to full size off the bat. I feel like mid-size is "all i need", but the extra space may be nice and most the research i've done people with mid size say it's not a great family car and to go full size. Still looking for advice on this.

As far as what I am using it for, we take it to the lake and tow a pontoon that is about 4k lbs trailer included. We may upgrade to a better boat at some point as well but this is really my only tow use, otherwise it would be nice to have a bed for fishing equipment, hauling logs for campfire at the lake, general jobs around there.

Needs: I would like the truck to have heated seats, a center console (no fold down bench chair), and a trailer brake controller would be nice. I would also like to stick with the current generation of each truck, since I do like a more modern interior. Leather is a want but certainly not a need.

My budget is anywhere from 35-45k, looking to get the best bang for my buck. Reliability is also very important to me as I will be keeping it for 10-15 years. Here are the main trucks I am considering with some average prices based on my needs above, thanks everyone for the help!

19-23 Ranger 30-35k
24 Tacoma SR5 New ~45k
24 Ranger XLT New~45k
FYI - this got stuck in a SPAM filter for some reason. Sorry for the delay in posting I just saw this.

No worries, I'm interested to see what people think. Any thoughts?
First, definitely full-size truck. Sure a midsize is "all you need," but if you can park a full-size truck that's really the way to go. The fact is you'll never get mad about having extra room in the cabin unlike a midsize truck where you would regret not having a bit more room.

I've owned three of the trucks on your list. The facts are all trucks are pretty reliable these days and a 10-15 years of ownership target isn't really hard to hit. There should be a post on the website about best trucks for value and longevity being published soon. Jill is editing it now.

Buying a truck really comes down to personal preferences on powertrain, style, tech and, for a used truck, what you find to buy.

First, definitely full-size truck. Sure a midsize is "all you need," but if you can park a full-size truck that's really the way to go. The fact is you'll never get mad about having extra room in the cabin unlike a midsize truck where you would regret not having a bit more room.

I've owned three of the trucks on your list. The facts are all trucks are pretty reliable these days and a 10-15 years of ownership target isn't really hard to hit. There should be a post on the website about best trucks for value and longevity being published soon. Jill is editing it now.

Buying a truck really comes down to personal preferences on powertrain, style, tech and, for a used truck, what you find to buy.
Thanks for the response Tim. This is kind of what I was thinking, I'll just take the wife on a day trip and go sit in them all and see what we think. Some of the die-hards on the internet have me thinking certain brands are better or worse, but it's good to know they are all capable of 10-15 years.

F150 seems the most available used (since there are so many sold) and thus the most likely to snag a deal on. Ram could also be a dark horse seeing as the current generation goes back to 2019, although I am not a huge fan of the RAM styling. I honestly like the Tundra best based on your videos, but with the Tundra used at $50k and a new SR5 with similar upgrades at $55-60, it feels dumb to buy used. Unfortunately the new Tundra is out of budget and a used one would still be pushing the limits. Looking forward to reading Jill's article.

I agree with Tim, if you have the space then go full size for sure. I loved my Tacoma but always wanted more space (and tech.) Rear facing car seats just don't fit very well in any midsize that I've seen.

As for your list, I don't think you can go wrong really just personal preference. Also, unless you absolutely must have the 22+ new Sierra/Silverado the 18-22 generation has all of the tech you want just not the fanciest interior but the options are all there. There are some good deals to be had on those 18-21 trucks.

Here is an example of one in my neck of the woods:
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 and low miles 35k. It has all of the options you mentioned would easily tow the boat and tons of room for dogs/kids. 40k.

I agree with Tim, if you have the space then go full size for sure. I loved my Tacoma but always wanted more space (and tech.) Rear facing car seats just don't fit very well in any midsize that I've seen.

As for your list, I don't think you can go wrong really just personal preference. Also, unless you absolutely must have the 22+ new Sierra/Silverado the 18-22 generation has all of the tech you want just not the fanciest interior but the options are all there. There are some good deals to be had on those 18-21 trucks.

Here is an example of one in my neck of the woods:
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 and low miles 35k. It has all of the options you mentioned would easily tow the boat and tons of room for dogs/kids. 40k.

I actually really like the Silverado/Sierra from that era, there's just two main things holding me back. I feel like the infotainment and middle screen area seem really dated especially compared to competitors, and they very often come with that flip-down seat/console that I'm personally not a huge fan of.

I agree with the consensus, go half ton. You will want the payload and towing capability in addition to the interior space. Having owned a 2019 Ranger, the mid size is way too small for your needs IMHO.

I am biased being a Ford fanboy but I do not own the current generation. My father loves his 2020 Ram and there seem to be some good deals on the 2024 models, have you considered it? Some used prices seem to be approaching new truck territory. Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree with the consensus, go half ton. You will want the payload and towing capability in addition to the interior space. Having owned a 2019 Ranger, the mid size is way too small for your needs IMHO.

I am biased being a Ford fanboy but I do not own the current generation. My father loves his 2020 Ram and there seem to be some good deals on the 2024 models, have you considered it? Some used prices seem to be approaching new truck territory. Good luck and keep us posted.
They are certainly approaching. From the major brands a new truck in the SR5, Bighorn, XLT, range is running about 55-60k. A good chunk north of budget. Part of me wants to cough up the extra change but we are also saving up for a house down payment.

I also had an ad for $6k off GMC if you have a trade. Just a thought. Typically used would be the way to go. My opinion differs from Tim and turbocharged engines, keep an eye on maintenance records. What about certified pre-owned, any deals out there?

They are certainly approaching. From the major brands a new truck in the SR5, Bighorn, XLT, range is running about 55-60k. A good chunk north of budget. Part of me wants to cough up the extra change but we are also saving up for a house down payment.
If you are also saving up for a house, keep it as low as you can then. Maybe this one shouldn't be your "long-term" truck. Get into something inexpensive and see how it feels. That way it's easier to change up. I started with a used one and changed up to a new one 6 years later.

I actually really like the Silverado/Sierra from that era, there's just two main things holding me back. I feel like the infotainment and middle screen area seem really dated especially compared to competitors, and they very often come with that flip-down seat/console that I'm personally not a huge fan of.
Most of the GMC trucks will not have the flip down console, they're built for 5 people as a higher end Chevy. That console is usually in lower tier trims but not always. As for the infotainment, it is not a big display like you can get in some higher end trims from Ram or Ford or the newer Chevy/GMC/Tundra. However, it is a good crisp display and all of the options you wanted are there. When I was shopping I pretty quickly determined I wasn't going to let the infotainment size be my deciding factor.. I didn't want a huge tablet for a screen. That's just personal preference. It helped that I also thought Chevy/GMC were easier to use/navigate than Ram or Ford at the time. I judged each truck by their merits, ride, hauling, towing, price etc. Ram had the nicest interior no doubt but the truck just isn't for me. What they've saved by using the same motor forever they've stuffed into the interior. I preferred the options that came with the GMC, the infotainment screen was outdated but it had more options by far than the Ram. Cameras, towing tech, and a much better drivetrain etc

If you are also saving up for a house, keep it as low as you can then. Maybe this one shouldn't be your "long-term" truck. Get into something inexpensive and see how it feels. That way it's easier to change up. I started with a used one and changed up to a new one 6 years later.
This is a good point and something I've considered too. Just buying something old and reliable for 15k, and buying it outright to avoid having credit against us when applying for a house. Then just kicking the can down the road 5 years.

I gotta vote for a full sized crew cab. If you are planning on having kids and a medium sized dog. You're gonna need a lot of width inside to carry them all. I have no idea which one of your full sized choices to pick outside of personal preference. It would be like me picking out the best hard liquor for you. I don't want to pick a heavily peated scotch when you prefer dry gin.

I gotta vote for a full sized crew cab. If you are planning on having kids and a medium sized dog. You're gonna need a lot of width inside to carry them all. I have no idea which one of your full sized choices to pick outside of personal preference. It would be like me picking out the best hard liquor for you. I don't want to pick a heavily peated scotch when you prefer dry gin.
I'd actually stick with the quad/extended cab to save money. He is only planning kids now so by the time he needs that extra space, he'll be buying a brand new 2035 Amazon brand electric truck with 6-doors and a 2ft bed.

19-23 Ranger 30-35k
24 Tacoma SR5 New ~45k
24 Ranger XLT New~45k
Not to be too contrarian, but it would seem an SUV would be a better choice unless you are dual using the vehicle and need the bed for work. Sure it is nice to have a bed for gear and logs, but you don't want to have your dog bowl, diaper bag, large stroller, and other child needs in a bed unless you are willing to have a water tight tonneau with subdivision to prevent rolling around...Even then, it is sub-optimal; you may need something like medication and realize it is in a bag, in the bed, and you are on the interstate.

I prefer body on frame, but a late model Dodge Durango SXT 3.6 AWD is rated at 6200lbs towing; better than most non-tow package 2007-2014 Tahoes.

The desire for the truck may be based on the two of you now, but climate controlled storage space for the new members coming may outweigh what you are accustomed to in the past.

At least I'm not saying get a Sienna or Pacifica!

Last edited:
When I went hunting for my first used truck a few years back I had the top three things I wanted on the list. I should first add, this was to pull my new 2021 camper and I was already set on a Ram 1500. Top of my List: trailer brake controller (factory), larger fuel tank(32gal), and 3.92 rear end gears.

What I found really helpful at the time was being able to pull the window sticker or build list for the truck to know for sure how it was spec'd out.
Maybe @testerdahl needs to do a video on this, but you can use these links to pull the window sticker for a Ram, GM, or Ford truck, within about the past 8 yrs. Here are the links...

This is the Ram build sheet. Pretty much every part and what region of the country the truck was ordered from...even list that it came with 5 gallons of gas. My 2014 Ram's build sheet is 8 pages. My 2022 Ram's build sheet is 10 pages.

RAM
(here's the trick, replace the VIN number and hit enter...DO NOT hit "Paste & Go", just paste it or type it to replace the one above and hit "enter")
GM
(here's the trick, replace the VIN number and hit enter...DO NOT hit "Paste & Go", just paste it or type it to replace the one above and hit "enter")
FORD

HAPPY HUNTING!! (My favorite part besides paying it off)

Back