GPF in the 2024's

yammahaw

Hey all, I was doing some research and I see that in 2024 Ford is putting a GPF (Gas particulate Filter) on their trucks. This true (
)

That video is 8 months old. To the best of my knowledge Ford has not added GPF to any NA vehicle. Not saying its not going to happen eventually, but 24 seems like a wash.

Hey all, I was doing some research and I see that in 2024 Ford is putting a GPF (Gas particulate Filter) on their trucks. This true (
)
True and false. Here's the deal. GPFs are in use in Europe. They have been for a few years now.

Right now, the EPA is watching the European market to see how these parts hold up, consumer push back and the additional cost to the consumer IF these parts fail.

There is discussion of U.S. automakers adding them to engines in 2027 as part of the push to reduce NOX. Those emissions rules are still up in the air and automakers are working with the EPA, environmental groups, EPA-opposition groups to discuss the best way to move forward.

I think the thing people miss is engines are designed for emissions rules today AND in the future. They are looking ahead and what might be coming with regards to emissions. They are planning for those changes. I'd venture to say all current engines have the ability to add GPF, for example, and it is just a matter of time until they do.

Frankly, these discussions are part of my frustration as a journalist. I've covered CAFE rules and the EPA for years now and how it will impact your vehicle purchase, but... I can't get people to watch. Personally, I think this stuff matters greatly to understanding what is truly going on and not heresy.

For example:

Also, watched the video. He explains it well then throws a lot of fear in the video about costs and failing. Also, the rhetoric of forced EV adoption. Personally, those three points are what I think people are going to really have an issue with NOT the GPF itself.

So if this does happen, how are gas vehicles going to differ from diesels in the sense of needing regens etc? It would almost push consumers to the diesel market.

So if this does happen, how are gas vehicles going to differ from diesels in the sense of needing regens etc? It would almost push consumers to the diesel market.
I doubt anyone will notice to be honest. Both systems would go through regen. If it is anything like the Duramax diesel I owned, I never noticed regen and had to buy a Banks iDash to see it actually happening. IMO - regen is an overblown issue.

Good find. Much ado about the exhaust note and nothing else. I predict there will be a lot of fear videos surrounding this topic moving forward.
If people could actually see the fine particulate emitted by ICE vehicles they might change their tune. It’s sort of like I can’t see the asbestos particles but 20 years later you might feel the effects.

Back