Epic Adventures

Saddle Tramp

Some of my favorite articles from Car and Driver, Road and Track, Autoweek, and Australian 4WD Action were the adventure travel stories. The minivan comparison that took place in the Arctic circle section of Alaska; The Mille Millia in a vintage Ferrari; Travelling Cape York along the Telegraph trail; even traveling from Spain to France by bicycle to see a formula one race. All are epic adventures and I have always wondered if Tim and Jill wanted to do something adventurous with their press loans. I know Jill does the Rebelle Rally and Tim is tied down with family commitments, but can either of them can take a week with a press loaner and ride out to meet the horizon? Is there a way to squeeze out an epic adventure while keeping up with the regular stuff?

Some of my favorite articles from Car and Driver, Road and Track, Autoweek, and Australian 4WD Action were the adventure travel stories. The minivan comparison that took place in the Arctic circle section of Alaska; The Mille Millia in a vintage Ferrari; Travelling Cape York along the Telegraph trail; even traveling from Spain to France by bicycle to see a formula one race. All are epic adventures and I have always wondered if Tim and Jill wanted to do something adventurous with their press loans. I know Jill does the Rebelle Rally and Tim is tied down with family commitments, but can either of them can take a week with a press loaner and ride out to meet the horizon? Is there a way to squeeze out an epic adventure while keeping up with the regular stuff?
Those are some ambitious trips that mandate having deep pockets. There are so many factors involved like even the logistics, it just doesn’t feel feasible for Jill and I to even have a discussion.

Basically you have to:

Find an automaker willing to loan you a vehicle or two. Typically at the end of its media loan lifecycle. They are going to auction it anyway.

Self fund or find a sponsor for the travel, hotel, food, etc…

Have an idea that would make it worth the investment. Remember TFL’s F-150 Lightning to Alaska endeavor? Roman told me they lost a lot of money on that trip.

Pay for other staff to film and then the editing time. The reason why shows like Top Gear were successful is they had large budgets plain and simple.

Just lots of things to consider.

I think that its a different style of journalism as well. I've been reading some Tom Cotter, the guy behind the Barn Find Hunter books. While Tim and Jill's focus is on the vehicles, Tom tends to focus more on the story behind the adventure and the people he meets along the way.

Back