Drove the 2024 model, what questions do you have?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
Just spent a week with the 2024 Hyundai Santa Cruz and I’m curious what questions you have as I prepare the video.IMG_7150.JPGIMG_7149.JPGIMG_7146.JPG

Last edited:
Having chosen a Tucson instead of the the Santa Cruz last year, what would be the best reasons for choosing one over the other? One example for me would be that Hyundai doesn't publish the roof weight ratings for the Tucson which meant we definitely couldn't put a rooftop tent on it, while that is possible with other SUVs in the same space. We didn't have those plans when we bought the vehicle, but fell into overlanding shortly after purchasing it.

How would one rate the utility of the bed vs space comfort of the SUV.

That's just a few things I don't know if people always consider between the two. Which one would you and Jill choose and why? You could start that series from the other thread with this.

Is the dual clutch transmission as bad as some reviewers make it out to be? How would compare it to the Ford Maverick? Did you do a fuel economy test? How tight is it for rear passengers?

Software. How many hoops do you have to jump through to use cruise, lights, radio. Do you get pop ups in the display when you set the emergency brake or take it off? Does it have auto stop start? Can you disable it? Do I get an alert every time I disable it? Do I have to use a touch screen for the wipers or lights? Does it automatically shift into park, if you are backing up and you open the door to look how close you are to something? Am I going to have a heart attack or an accident when the automatic emergency braking kicks in because the “system” thinks the car in front of me is doing something it isn’t?

Software. How many hoops do you have to jump through to use cruise, lights, radio. Do you get pop ups in the display when you set the emergency brake or take it off? Does it have auto stop start? Can you disable it? Do I get an alert every time I disable it? Do I have to use a touch screen for the wipers or lights? Does it automatically shift into park, if you are backing up and you open the door to look how close you are to something? Am I going to have a heart attack or an accident when the automatic emergency braking kicks in because the “system” thinks the car in front of me is doing something it isn’t?
Cruise, lights and radio are easy to use. Emergency brake notifications yes. All vehicles have auto start stop and no there's no way to permantely disable it.

No touch screen for wipers or lights. To the best of my knowledge, that's just a Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon thing. No sure about shifting into park with the door open. I don't really test that out. I use the cameras and sensors instead.

Yes, automatic emergency braking with a warming. That's a Federally mandated feature if IIRC.

I think the only vehicles that I know of where there are not buttons for then main functions are the Chevy Colorado, Tesla (which has gone completely software for pretty much all functions), and maybe a few other electric cars. Ford has some software buttons for things like heated seats and steering wheels heat, but the important functions still have buttons.

But there is just going to be more software and safety features each year. Depending on the manufacturer, some systems are quite good and some need a lot of work. I think we're just leaving an era of terrible software and heading into an era with better software design, but the manufacturers need to put the money and effort behind these systems in order for them to be good. They still have a long way to go in many areas and the newer companies like Rivian and Tesla do tend to have better software as they built their vehicles with that in mind.

Back