Do you need/want Apple CarPlay in your next vehicle?

We had a lot of discussion last night on the Livestream about Apple CarPlay and the fact that General Motors has removed it from the EVs (which could be a harbinger of things to come in gas vehicles). There are studies out there that say 30% of car buyers consider CarPlay a must-have feature. But there's a lot of people who argue that you don't need CarPlay and that the new Google Operating system works just fine with your iPhone without CarPlay. So I did a video. I, personally, don't think this is fine. Would love your feedback: 1) Do you need/want Apple CarPlay in your next vehicle, and 2) Is GM's system workable for you without CarPlay?

I was SO upset that Ford and GM were developing their own on-board system that I called them! Why woulds I want to learn yet ANOTHER system when I can so easily connect to Apple CarPlay via bluetooth? In fact, when I rent a car and it doesn't have the system I know and love, I get a different car. Do these automakers have nothing better to do than try to reinvent something that already works? My contacts, my maps - everything I need -- is already in my iPhone. Why not spend their engineering talents actually making a well-designed EV priced under $30K that travels 500 miles without re-charge????

I was SO upset that Ford and GM were developing their own on-board system that I called them! Why woulds I want to learn yet ANOTHER system when I can so easily connect to Apple CarPlay via bluetooth? In fact, when I rent a car and it doesn't have the system I know and love, I get a different car. Do these automakers have nothing better to do than try to reinvent something that already works? My contacts, my maps - everything I need -- is already in my iPhone. Why not spend their engineering talents actually making a well-designed EV priced under $30K that travels 500 miles without re-charge????

Back