Do you even like the TFL guys?

I'm out of press loans at the moment. When I get another one, I'll do one and we can see how it goes. Thanks for the idea! Now I just have to remember... LOL
I think what I don't see with mileage is what you got over the course of that week and what the overall MPGs are from those that drove the vehicle before you. I know a lot of vehicles will give you the cumulative MPGs. I think you should do a long hwy stretch and you may as well also talk about feature of the vehicle, ride quality, 5 things you like and 5 you don't or whatever works for you during that drive. Then give the MPG for your week with the vehicle and cumulative if it's available. Sure those get driven harder and probably sit while on too, but it's real world driver review mileage that you could track somewhere. Then at the end of the year you could do a year in review of what you drove and how they performed or something?

Knowing how easy it would be to maintain and maybe sharing the estimated 3-5 year cost of ownership might be interesting if that were possible too. Like based on the I80-100 loop driving 15000 miles per year, x $ per gallon/charge, performing scheduled maintenance would be about x at a dealership, y on your own. I think another thing to include is how long and if possible how good any manufacturer included maintenance is. Especially on your long termers.

You'll figure it out.

I think what I don't see with mileage is what you got over the course of that week and what the overall MPGs are from those that drove the vehicle before you. I know a lot of vehicles will give you the cumulative MPGs. I think you should do a long hwy stretch and you may as well also talk about feature of the vehicle, ride quality, 5 things you like and 5 you don't or whatever works for you during that drive. Then give the MPG for your week with the vehicle and cumulative if it's available. Sure those get driven harder and probably sit while on too, but it's real world driver review mileage that you could track somewhere. Then at the end of the year you could do a year in review of what you drove and how they performed or something?

Knowing how easy it would be to maintain and maybe sharing the estimated 3-5 year cost of ownership might be interesting if that were possible too. Like based on the I80-100 loop driving 15000 miles per year, x $ per gallon/charge, performing scheduled maintenance would be about x at a dealership, y on your own. I think another thing to include is how long and if possible how good any manufacturer included maintenance is. Especially on your long termers.

You'll figure it out.
Watch the video tomorrow. I do an analysis on the 2025 Ram 1500 I’m buying in regards to resale and total cost of ownership.

Jill and I have been talking about doing a best of the year award with real rankings. I’m blah over awards, so I’m been hesitant.

Watch the video tomorrow. I do an analysis on the 2025 Ram 1500 I’m buying in regards to resale and total cost of ownership.

Jill and I have been talking about doing a best of the year award with real rankings. I’m blah over awards, so I’m been hesitant.
I'll definitely watch. I don't know if you need awards, but maybe just your favorites in each category?

I'm not a fan of awards and rankings. It's one reason I don't like the TFL "ike" tests. We all have different features that we value and prioritize.

I'm not a fan of awards and rankings. It's one reason I don't like the TFL "ike" tests. We all have different features that we value and prioritize.
This is true that we are all different but it's great to see those comparisons to see which truck is better at the things that are important to us. Like the 0-60 times, worthless to me but somebody cares. MPG? We just want real world examples not numbers off the window sticker. And that goes with all the numbers. Ok, higher HP number but how does it "feel" to apply it? I just watched a CR video on the Colorado, and they commented on the power numbers but said it seemed like it took too much pedal to get to that power when entering a highway. Now that helped unlike 0-60 yet I had not heard that before. Or when Tim talks about entry exit, no one else covered that when the Colorado came out. I appreciated that because, well, that is something I will do every damn time I drive it. And he was right, I test drove one and did not like it. Enough to pull me back from ordering one until I saw how others did.

As for maintenance, I don't know if you can do that well unless you video changing the oil, brakes, etc. Getting it into a shop up on a lift and doing a walk around pointing out mechanical features would be awesome. Even better with a trained mech who can point out the goods/bad about having to work on it. Like "Reaching that #7 plug on this HEMI is going to be a MF"

This is true that we are all different but it's great to see those comparisons to see which truck is better at the things that are important to us. Like the 0-60 times, worthless to me but somebody cares. MPG? We just want real world examples not numbers off the window sticker. And that goes with all the numbers. Ok, higher HP number but how does it "feel" to apply it? I just watched a CR video on the Colorado, and they commented on the power numbers but said it seemed like it took too much pedal to get to that power when entering a highway. Now that helped unlike 0-60 yet I had not heard that before. Or when Tim talks about entry exit, no one else covered that when the Colorado came out. I appreciated that because, well, that is something I will do every damn time I drive it. And he was right, I test drove one and did not like it. Enough to pull me back from ordering one until I saw how others did.

As for maintenance, I don't know if you can do that well unless you video changing the oil, brakes, etc. Getting it into a shop up on a lift and doing a walk around pointing out mechanical features would be awesome. Even better with a trained mech who can point out the goods/bad about having to work on it. Like "Reaching that #7 plug on this HEMI is going to be a MF"
I’ve talked with my friend in town who has a shop. He can put stuff on it, if it is available, and I can do more of the walk around thing.

Now that’s with trucks I buy. Press loans make me nervous putting on a lift and it also makes the press fleet agency nervous. I’m sure 99% of the time, the press loan vehicle would be just fine on a lift like Savage Geese does, however, that 1% keeps me awake at night.

Also, I don’t see much benefit in say having an SUV on a lift like a RAV4. A Tundra or Tacoma? You bet.

And I’ve had many friends who are mechanics over the years. They will always find something to bitch about. LOL

Now that’s with trucks I buy. Press loans make me nervous putting on a lift and it also makes the press fleet agency nervous. I’m sure 99% of the time, the press loan vehicle would be just fine on a lift like Savage Geese does, however, that 1% keeps me awake at night.
Well, the video of Tommy Mica putting their loaner Taco Limited on the lift was one I watched and played more than once, just saying. Just carry good insurance...lol. Things I noticed was how shallow the hitch receiver was, making me concerned if mine would fit. I hate the videos of Andre trying to point past the top of the tire going, "You can just see the top of the HD spring right there." No, I can't, and it wouldn't help tell me how it is mounted or if I need to remove the bed to access it.

But that's exactly it. The impressions and tests are great, the final rankings and awards are silly. I love the data, but leave the conclusions to the guy/gal watching because of our varied priorities.

Tim, the video was good. I liked the layout of getting people to think about long term costs and also what is best for them, not what is best for you from their life experiences and biases. (Sorry, YouTube comments are sometimes so dumb, as you well know)

I think the insurance part will be an eye opener for some to look and see what you might be able to get from a different company. I'm going to do that same fun exercise when we get Taco too.

Last edited:
But that's exactly it. The impressions and tests are great, the final rankings and awards are silly. I love the data, but leave the conclusions to the guy/gal watching because of our varied priorities.
Agreed, I couldn't care less what anyone else calls the truck of the year or best for this or that. I just wanna see them compared and I'll draw my own conclusions based on what matters to me.

Back