Do you even like the TFL guys?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
One day a fan stopped by and we were talking about some truck I had outside. Out of the blue, he asked me, "do you even like the TFL guys?"

This question hit me like a ton of bricks. What did I do or say recently that would give that impression? Did I say something in the past? I was floored.

While I'm not quite sure where this question came from, I guess I can see people see TFL and Pickup Truck +SUV Talk as rivals. I sure don't. But being the truck channels are fairly limited, I'm only a few hours from their location and we get draw from the same press fleet in Denver, I suppose fans could see us a rivals.

The fact of the matter is I respect the hell out of Roman, Andre, Nathan, Tommy, Casey and the rest of the team. They have built a powerhouse of a business. TFL has set the standard, IMO, for what a successful publication should be like. No offense to Doug Demuro, Scotty Kilmer and others, but they don't have the staff, the channels that TFL does. The TFL team has to feed all the various channels and websites with new content all the time. They also have to do social media, travel, buy vehicles, etc...

They are busy and very driven. I've been to their studios and their ranch to see this first hand. It is impressive.

For me, I just see us as being different in how we cover things. You might not as a causal viewer, but I sure do. I don't want to get into how I see it because that will just turn into an argument over my views. I'll just leave it at that.

Now, the immature me, took some time to see the success of TFL. It is easy to criticize what you don't know. I also fell into a trap with some Livestreams. People would bash TFL on the Lives and I feed into this. TFL started popping onto the Livestreams and I realized, you know, this is dumb. Viewers wanted to create drama between us and I fell into their trap. I put an end to it by not talking about those comments and also stating how much I respect TFL to those viewers. I wish I was smarter back then.

What people don't probably know is I've stood up for TFL a few times behind the scenes. When TFL had the tiff with Ford over the leaked Bronco photos, I did a Livestream and brought it up on purpose saying I support them completely. TFL was right in what they did, Ford was wrong. Plain and simple.

Now as businesses in the same space, I'm sure there's things they don't understand with my work and there's thing I don't get about what they do. That's not being critical or hateful. It is just business and I don't publicly talk about any of those things. I'd be the world's largest dumbass to do so. Criticize one of the business's I idol. Yeah that's stupid.

So for those wondering, let me be very clear. I don't hate TFL. Rather I respect the hell out of them. Plain and simple.

I enjoy both channels for what they bring to the table. I liked the video collaboration you did at the ranch. Large channels are harder to interact with and you need to become a member to access certain information. Smaller channels like this one, All Terrain Nation, Tundra Dude, etc., offer a little more detailed content and take the time to respond to your emails or questions. TFL is great but I find myself really only watching the Truck and Off Road channel now rather than all of their content. It is just too much; you really need to be selective. I am glad they have newer personalities like Kase and Alex, it gives a new perspective. As much as I love Andre and Nathan, I pretty much know what their opinions are going to be. I am hooked on the Ike Gauntlet videos though, lol. I love those.

One day a fan stopped by and we were talking about some truck I had outside. Out of the blue, he asked me, "do you even like the TFL guys?"

This question hit me like a ton of bricks. What did I do or say recently that would give that impression? Did I say something in the past? I was floored.

While I'm not quite sure where this question came from, I guess I can see people see TFL and Pickup Truck +SUV Talk as rivals. I sure don't. But being the truck channels are fairly limited, I'm only a few hours from their location and we get draw from the same press fleet in Denver, I suppose fans could see us a rivals.

The fact of the matter is I respect the hell out of Roman, Andre, Nathan, Tommy, Casey and the rest of the team. They have built a powerhouse of a business. TFL has set the standard, IMO, for what a successful publication should be like. No offense to Doug Demuro, Scotty Kilmer and others, but they don't have the staff, the channels that TFL does. The TFL team has to feed all the various channels and websites with new content all the time. They also have to do social media, travel, buy vehicles, etc...

They are busy and very driven. I've been to their studios and their ranch to see this first hand. It is impressive.

For me, I just see us as being different in how we cover things. You might not as a causal viewer, but I sure do. I don't want to get into how I see it because that will just turn into an argument over my views. I'll just leave it at that.

Now, the immature me, took some time to see the success of TFL. It is easy to criticize what you don't know. I also fell into a trap with some Livestreams. People would bash TFL on the Lives and I feed into this. TFL started popping onto the Livestreams and I realized, you know, this is dumb. Viewers wanted to create drama between us and I fell into their trap. I put an end to it by not talking about those comments and also stating how much I respect TFL to those viewers. I wish I was smarter back then.

What people don't probably know is I've stood up for TFL a few times behind the scenes. When TFL had the tiff with Ford over the leaked Bronco photos, I did a Livestream and brought it up on purpose saying I support them completely. TFL was right in what they did, Ford was wrong. Plain and simple.

Now as businesses in the same space, I'm sure there's things they don't understand with my work and there's thing I don't get about what they do. That's not being critical or hateful. It is just business and I don't publicly talk about any of those things. I'd be the world's largest dumbass to do so. Criticize one of the business's I idol. Yeah that's stupid.

So for those wondering, let me be very clear. I don't hate TFL. Rather I respect the hell out of them. Plain and simple.
Hey Tim, this all makes a ton of sense. Competition is good and your business and TFL's do overlap some, but TFL is very different as you said. They like to do some fun series (some are less fun) with a lot of OG Top Gear influence. They are also pretty focused on factory off-roading with their truck side, and there is some great benefit to that. I do often wish they were a bit more in depth in some of their videos, and that's why I think a lot of people appreciate what you do and why variety and competition is good. Rising tides can float all boats and things like the new Taco are likely great for anyone in this business. That being said there are a ton of people doing content in this area and I can imagine that that can sometimes be difficult. Anyway keep up the great work here. It might even be cool to team up with them at Tumbleweed for more of those videos.

One other question I had for you was about the leaking of the 24 Tacoma Config tool. You seemed upset about that being leaked on the 4g forum. Why was that? I ask because pretty much everyday for a month I was messing with the 23 url to try and get the 24 version to check that out and see what one of these new trucks was going to cost. But you seemed upset by that happening and I was curious as to why.

Thanks!

Hey Tim, this all makes a ton of sense. Competition is good and your business and TFL's do overlap some, but TFL is very different as you said. They like to do some fun series (some are less fun) with a lot of OG Top Gear influence. They are also pretty focused on factory off-roading with their truck side, and there is some great benefit to that. I do often wish they were a bit more in depth in some of their videos, and that's why I think a lot of people appreciate what you do and why variety and competition is good. Rising tides can float all boats and things like the new Taco are likely great for anyone in this business. That being said there are a ton of people doing content in this area and I can imagine that that can sometimes be difficult. Anyway keep up the great work here. It might even be cool to team up with them at Tumbleweed for more of those videos.

One other question I had for you was about the leaking of the 24 Tacoma Config tool. You seemed upset about that being leaked on the 4g forum. Why was that? I ask because pretty much everyday for a month I was messing with the 23 url to try and get the 24 version to check that out and see what one of these new trucks was going to cost. But you seemed upset by that happening and I was curious as to why.

Thanks!
FYI - I created a new thread. It is a good question.

I stopped subscribing to TFL because IMO they have gotten too big for their britches.😗I prefer the smaller YT channels such as ATN and this one. The TFL “ranch”, which seems to be just a 100 acre glorified cornfield is way overhyped. TFL did this humongous trip to ALASKA with a Ford Lightning and another backup vehicle to see how it would perform. Really. Just tow a 8,000 pound load behind a Ford lightning and drive it 50 miles and you’ll quickly find out it’s not ready for prime time. But that’s not how the click bait boys work at TFL. That’s my rant for today.

Fan of Andrey. Nathan not so much. I don't like people talking over each other with mis-information.

Of course, I like the content here.

I’d trust you to bring more unbiased information to the viewers so don’t change that. TFL has some fun videos but I don’t go to them for real specs. Honestly I’ll say Alex on autos has the best specs and layout to show the specs of all.
I go to truck king for real off road content or new vehicles since they run the type of stuff I find here in the upper Midwest

I’d trust you to bring more unbiased information to the viewers so don’t change that. TFL has some fun videos but I don’t go to them for real specs. Honestly I’ll say Alex on autos has the best specs and layout to show the specs of all.
I go to truck king for real off road content or new vehicles since they run the type of stuff I find here in the upper Midwest
I wish I had the terrain truck king has for their videos. It is Howard’s property and I could do a lot if I had a similar property.

Yes each one of the guys always brings something different to the table and some different personalities and perspective. That is the way with each channel some Driving Spots TV, Tuck King, Redline, Car Care Nut.

Can't help myself on this one since TFLhas been going gangbusters on their Rolling Coal Diesel Gate 2.0 on Cummins. Lo and behold, look what the You Tube algorithm gifted me today fresh from "The Studios"

I guess they are gunning to be trial experts on Cummins with this test of before and after. One little problem on the way to the Supreme Court. Starting at time stamp 19:50 of the video, Andrey explains about the separate recalls, but admits they don't know anything about the second one, the one affecting the truck they are testing.

Guess they should study their friend to the North's web site to stop the hyperbole and understand the issue:

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/ram-recall-notice.pdf

Thanks Tim, appreciate as a reader you and Jill concentrating on the facts and not giving in to the clickbait craziness Roman appears to be fostering.

Last edited:
Can't help myself on this one since TFLhas been going gangbusters on their Rolling Coal Diesel Gate 2.0 on Cummins. Lo and behold, look what the You Tube algorithm gifted me today fresh from "The Studios"

I guess they are gunning to be trial experts on Cummins with this test of before and after. One little problem on the way to the Supreme Court. Starting at time stamp 19:50 of the video, Andrey explains about the separate recalls, but admits they don't know anything about the second one, the one affecting the truck they are testing.

Guess they should study their friend to the North's web site to stop the hyperbole and understand the issue:

Thanks Tim, appreciate as a reader you and Jill concentrating on the facts and not giving in to the clickbait craziness Roman appears to be fostering.
106k views in a day. Hard to argue against that as far as business is concerned.

I'm not quite sure what this is getting at? They said they were making a video series to document the changes pre and post recall. This video is to capture the data from pre-recall and when the recall is issued and completed they will complete the same series of tests again. Are your comments because you think they should have waited until the recall is complete and then air both pre and post in one video? I am not trying to stick up for the TFL guys, as I have my own different minor issues with the channel, just not sure what exactly you mean?

I'm not quite sure what this is getting at? They said they were making a video series to document the changes pre and post recall. This video is to capture the data from pre-recall and when the recall is issued and completed they will complete the same series of tests again. Are your comments because you think they should have waited until the recall is complete and then air both pre and post in one video? I am not trying to stick up for the TFL guys, as I have my own different minor issues with the channel, just not sure what exactly you mean?
Take a look again at the Y43 recall Tim posted. First paragraph states the following:

"We are recommending the following improvements be performed on certain [2021 – 2022 Model Year (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup (D2) Ram 3500 Pickup (DD) Ram 3500 Cab Chassis and (DP) Ram 4500/500 Cab Chassis] trucks equipped with a 6.7L Cummins Diesel engine" (my italics/bold).

So what if the the TFL Ram doesn't get a recall? Even they relayed it is uncertain in the test video and their walk the lot podcast (no Brandon/CQA shout out for the idea, of course). You answered your own question; wait until you get the notice (if it happens) and then do it. From You Tube and even their own page comments, people have expressed their grossly inaccurate accompanying illustration of RAM Cummins trucks "Rolling Coal" is something professional auto journalists should not stoop down to, even for 106K daily page views.

Sucks being older in 2024, professional standards don't mean anything.

Last edited:
Take a look again at the Y43 recall Tim posted. First paragraph states the following:

I'm still confused by your post. Not sure where the accusation of unprofessionalism is coming from if Y43 is not the recall that they are discussing on the video. They even stated that their recall number has not even been released yet. And I'm sure when the recall is released, they are not going to "fake it" and say it was done then test it again showing no change.

I'm still confused by your post. Not sure where the accusation of unprofessionalism is coming from if Y43 is not the recall that they are discussing on the video. They even stated that their recall number has not even been released yet. And I'm sure when the recall is released, they are not going to "fake it" and say it was done then test it again showing no change.
Here is your homework assignment:

You can watch the whole "Test" video or just look at the thumbnail to make it easier. It shows, like their first image for "Diesel Gate 2.0," a wholly false representation of a factory Ram Truck spewing large clouds of particulates. Look up "Sensationalism in Media" to understand their motives. Below the image the thumbnail shows, in all CAPS the following statement PART 1: BEFORE RECALL. 1) Have they received a recall for the year and model RAM they "tested?" No. 2) Have they done their due diligence as journalists, i.e. find out about Y43, get a copy, and realize is says "certain" vehicles? No. Tim released Y43 on 9 January and the TFL guys released the the video of the "Test" on 14 Jan...Sure, they could have done it earlier than 9 Jan, but then that problem word comes up again, professionalism. TFL checking sources before dropping a video that is not up to date doesn't sound very smart, but they are an entertainment channel first and the video makes good clickbait for the You Tube Algorithm.

All the time in the world to test the truck once they (possibly) receive the recall notice for their vehicle; however, $$$ first, integrity second in Boulder.

There isn't a YouTuber doing vehicle reviews that I can think of that doesn't use splash screen advertising for their videos. Note Tim's newest video with the splash text of "Not the one to buy?" and a picture of the new Tacoma. It's insinuating that the new Tacoma is not the one to buy, but the opposite is true as the video shows. No offense intended Tim as I said everyone is doing it and it's easy to see why. Drive interest, gain followers. I support it as a no-brainer business decision.

I don't take the black smoke meaning that Rams produce black smoke, at least that's not what I thought when I first saw the video. I take it as a note that they're talking about diesel trucks. Black smoke is a universal definer of diesel trucks even if the new ones don't produce nearly as much as the old ones. Ask an artist to draw a picture of two three quarter ton trucks one gas one diesel. How do you distinguish the two?

As far as the recall notice, yes it says certain trucks, everything I've read which is a lot as a schmuck sitting in front of a computer including the recall notices seem to be pointing at most if not every single ram 2500 and 3500 that used a Cummins engine. I don't think the guys at TFL are jumping the gun here, their truck will get recalled. And when it does they'll make a second video and make note of any differences. I actually think it could be a really interesting series because the number one question I see asked by RAM owners is what is going to happen to my truck after the recall? Some initial no-name videos have been made showing very little difference but then that begs the question what did Cummins do exactly? Why risk it code in some defeat devices and pay a $2 billion dollar fine if not doing it doesn't give you any noticeable performance gains? The mystery is deepening.

As for the name dieselgate that's what it's being referred to in a lot of places as that's what it is. It's the second massive fine paid by a vehicle manufacturer or engine manufacturer for using defeat devices on diesel engines. The term gate has been applied to anybody caught cheating since Tom Brady was accused of deflating his balls.

Last edited:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10243212-9999.pdf

You sure TFL's truck will get recalled? This Y43 recall notice is over six months old and states:

"NOTE: Some vehicles above may have been identified as not involved in this campaign and therefore have been excluded from this campaign."

Who knows, maybe their truck has been in for service the past six months, had the recall completed and they tested an already recalled truck.

"Black smoke is a universal definer of diesel trucks even if the new ones don't produce nearly as much as the old ones."

Really? I drove GM M-1008/M-1009 and AM General HMMVWs with 6.2L Detroit Diesels starting with 1984 series registrations (84 Kilos)...Talking 40 years ago. They did not smoke like the illustration depicts. Face it, TFL was trying to drive traffic:

https://blog.hootsuite.com/how-the-youtube-algorithm-works/

"To maximize your video’s appeal:

• Upload a custom thumbnail (and keep the visual style consistent across all your thumbnails)
  • Write an intriguing, catchy title—the kind you can’t not click on
  • Remember the first sentence or so of the description will show up in search, so make it interesting and relevant."
Hmmm..."Nah, forget the research on the NHTSA site, Let's show some "Rolling Coal" to drive the clicks!"

(Takes a sip of coffee) this is a VERY interesting discussion. And yep, as much as I’d love to do simple, plain Jane type thumbnails and titles, that just doesn’t work in today’s world. That’s the only way you compete.

(Takes a sip of coffee) this is a VERY interesting discussion. And yep, as much as I’d love to do simple, plain Jane type thumbnails and titles, that just doesn’t work in today’s world. That’s the only way you compete.
Rubbing your chin in front of an actual vehicle (not a fake illustration) and teasing a Fundamental Flaw (opinion) and stating the actual MSRP in the description isn't deceptive IMO.

Back