Direct injection, carbon buildup, catch cans, EGR & PCV valves

Just wait until Tim gets his truck and mentions the tow rating in his videos…

My guess is payload goes up a tiny bit (hurricane is lighter than the iron block hemi), sticker towing goes down a little bit, but real world towing goes up because almost every half ton is payload limited, not GCWR limited and realistically most half tons can't tow > 8500 pounds regardless of their GCWR. 🤷‍♂️

My guess is payload goes up a tiny bit (hurricane is lighter than the iron block hemi), sticker towing goes down a little bit, but real world towing goes up because almost every half ton is payload limited, not GCWR limited and realistically most half tons can't tow > 8500 pounds regardless of their GCWR. 🤷‍♂️
If only more people understood this my job would be a LOT easier.

To write off the reduction as "you shouldn't tow that much with a half ton" is a little silly.

How is that silly? It dropped from 12K to 11K. I'd say it was silly to speculate why. Not exactly worth a deep-dive into it. Could be cooling, could be the passenger screen. Like you said, most TTs are 6-8K so again, still not concerned or care.

How is that silly? It dropped from 12K to 11K. I'd say it was silly to speculate why. Not exactly worth a deep-dive into it. Could be cooling, could be the passenger screen. Like you said, most TTs are 6-8K so again, still not concerned or care.

Because to me it rings similar to the you shouldn't buy a truck if you're worried about miles per gallon comments.

Some of us aren't worried about maximum towing capacity, or miles per gallons or 0 to 60 times or maximum payload rating or horsepower and torque ratings.

But there must be a lot of people who are or the manufacturers wouldn't advertise those things. I've learned in advertising that they spend a ton of money on marketing things that their consumer research data says people care about.

It's just rare in today's world of trucks to see one of those numbers drop substantially.

Truck forums are catching on to the specs game. My truck is rated to tow like 8200 pounds (3.21). If I had ordered it with the 3.92, that tow rating would have jumped by literally 3000 to around 11,200 pounds. It's magic I tell you! One little rear axle change that is only ever active from a dead stop and suddenly my truck can tow 3000 pounds more!! lol.

Never mind that once both trucks are moving in the city or passing semis up a grade, both trucks will have the same torque multiplication at the wheel because low and behold the transmission just sits one gear lower in the 3.21 for the same load/mph. But hey if you absolutely judge your towing experience by 0 to 10 mph then I guess you're going to be that much happier in a 3.92.

The reality is these new hurricanes will tow the same loads up to 10k pounds much easier than before, regardless of what any tow rating says, but the reliability/durabilty vs the v8 is yet to be discovered.

Lets also keep in mind that this is "max tow rating". Max tows are always unicorn trucks, and that means its a stripped down tradesman with 2wd. It's not yet clear to me if a feature-for-feature identical big horn or laramie is losing tow rating when comparing a 2024 hemi in that truck to an otherwise identical 2025 hurricane. So take a 2024 laramie/hemi with the 3.92, does it have more tow rating than a 2025 laramie SO with the 3.92? Or is it only the unicorn max tow (which is where the spec games are played) that has been reduced? Something we don't yet know at least to my knowledge (though I'd still bet cooling being the main factor which would affect all trucks across the board, not just the unicorn).

Eh. We seem to have strayed from catch cans and pcv valves.

Let me help: direct injection sucks and you can pry my port injected hemi out of my cold dead fingers. :ROFLMAO:

Truck forums are catching on to the specs game. My truck is rated to tow like 8200 pounds (3.21). If I had ordered it with the 3.92, that tow rating would have jumped by literally 3000 to around 11,200 pounds. It's magic I tell you! One little rear axle change that is only ever active from a dead stop and suddenly my truck can tow 3000 pounds more!! lol.

Never mind that once both trucks are moving in the city or passing semis up a grade, both trucks will have the same torque multiplication at the wheel because low and behold the transmission just sits one gear lower in the 3.21 for the same load/mph. But hey if you absolutely judge your towing experience by 0 to 10 mph then I guess you're going to be that much happier in a 3.92.

The reality is these new hurricanes will tow the same loads up to 10k pounds much easier than before, regardless of what any tow rating says, but the reliability/durabilty vs the v8 is yet to be discovered.

Lets also keep in mind that this is "max tow rating". Max tows are always unicorn trucks, and that means its a stripped down tradesman with 2wd. It's not yet clear to me if a feature-for-feature identical big horn or laramie is losing tow rating when comparing a 2024 hemi in that truck to an otherwise identical 2025 hurricane. So take a 2024 laramie/hemi with the 3.92, does it have more tow rating than a 2025 laramie SO with the 3.92? Or is it only the unicorn max tow (which is where the spec games are played) that has been reduced? Something we don't yet know at least to my knowledge (though I'd still bet cooling being the main factor which would affect all trucks across the board, not just the unicorn).

It's not the max tow rating Getty adventures was talking specifically about the tow rating of the higher end vehicles with the SST or the HO SST versus the previous generation high-end models with the Hemi.

It's not the max tow rating Getty adventures was talking specifically about the tow rating of the higher end vehicles with the SST or the HO SST versus the previous generation high-end models with the Hemi.

I'll have to rewatch his video, I don't know if he is also going off of max tow or comparing actual ratings between common trucks. I haven't yet seen the 2025 towing charts and I googled a bit for them so I'd like to know where he is getting his data from then.

Closest I can figure is that the max tow in the 2025 is set with the SO, not the HO like we might expect. So yes if you compare a limited HO vs a limited hemi then tow rating probably goes down because the SO is not an option in those trims.

But if you compare a bighorn/rebel SO vs bighorn/rebel hemi then tow rating might still be approximately equal.

Ram said to me they dropped it by a 1k or so. Just really a shrug of their shoulders. I think they realize a thousand pounds really doesn’t matter when you are already over 10k.

Because to me it rings similar to the you shouldn't buy a truck if you're worried about miles per gallon comments.

Some of us aren't worried about maximum towing capacity, or miles per gallons or 0 to 60 times or maximum payload rating or horsepower and torque ratings.

But there must be a lot of people who are or the manufacturers wouldn't advertise those things. I've learned in advertising that they spend a ton of money on marketing things that their consumer research data says people care about.

It's just rare in today's world of trucks to see one of those numbers drop substantially.
Yet refreshing to see a manufacturer not play the number game. Most drinking the "max towing/payload/mpg" Kool-Aid don't ever need it, it's just the simplest way to compare. I think it's just silly to speculate why.

Back