Depreciation

Blue Oval 5.0

Hi All,

The automobile market of the COVID era saw some crazy times. Prices of new and used vehicles went through the roof and there was plenty of dealer mark up to go around due to limited supply. We even experienced a period where used vehicles were bringing more at time of trade or sale than they cost when they were sold as new which was virtually unheard of prior to COVID. As a member of the Maverick Truck Club, I read plenty of posts on the forums where members were selling their Maverick's at prices above what they had paid, especially the hybrid models.

We purchased our Maverick XLT on May 31st as we had gotten tired of waiting 16+ months for the one we ordered to arrive. It was an impulse buy and we did pay $895 over MSRP unfortunately. MSRP was $33,105 for XLT Luxury Package, 4K Tow Pkg, FX4 Off Road Package, and a Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover. We had ordered the same pickup but in Lariat trim and different exterior color.

After owning only 6-7 months and 1,550 miles, we found that it doesn't really meet our needs as a family. So, I looked at trading it in or selling to the large online buyers like Carvana, CarMax, etc. I am finding that the offers are in the $27k-$28k range, that would be a typical loss on brand new vehicle, especially prior to 2020. Now, I was not expecting to make a profit but I was hoping for a little less of a hit - maybe $30k or so.

Has anyone experienced a similar outcome with a recently purchased vehicle that they were looking to get out of? I am just wondering as it seems the market is going through a correction phase.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi All,

The automobile market of the COVID era saw some crazy times. Prices of new and used vehicles went through the roof and there was plenty of dealer mark up to go around due to limited supply. We even experienced a period where used vehicles were bringing more at time of trade or sale than they cost when they were sold as new which was virtually unheard of prior to COVID. As a member of the Maverick Truck Club, I read plenty of posts on the forums where members were selling their Maverick's at prices above what they had paid, especially the hybrid models.

We purchased our Maverick XLT on May 31st as we had gotten tired of waiting 16+ months for the one we ordered to arrive. It was an impulse buy and we did pay $895 over MSRP unfortunately. MSRP was $33,105 for XLT Luxury Package, 4K Tow Pkg, FX4 Off Road Package, and a Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover. We had ordered the same pickup but in Lariat trim and different exterior color.

After owning only 6-7 months and 1,550 miles, we found that it doesn't really meet our needs as a family. So, I looked at trading it in or selling to the large online buyers like Carvana, CarMax, etc. I am finding that the offers are in the $27k-$28k range, that would be a typical loss on brand new vehicle, especially prior to 2020. Now, I was not expecting to make a profit but I was hoping for a little less of a hit - maybe $30k or so.

Has anyone experienced a similar outcome with a recently purchased vehicle that they were looking to get out of? I am just wondering as it seems the market is going through a correction phase.

Thanks,
Eric
I’ve found Carvana, Vroom, Give me the Vin to all have low balls offers. When I sold the Tundra last year, I got $7k more just selling it to my local dealer. Selling used vehicles these days seems to be really hard for some reason.

Wound up selling to CarMax today for $29k with 1,725 miles. Took a $4,100 hit which really sucks. I wish I had sprung for a Lariat, maybe I would have considered keeping it. I still enjoy driving the larger truck though, gas mileage be damned…

Last edited:
Wound up selling to CarMax today for $29k with 1,725 miles. Took a $4,100 hit which really sucks. I wish I had spr7ng for a Lariat, maybe I would have considered keeping it. I still enjoy driving the larger truck though, gas mileage be damned…
Eric, sorry about the hit. The one thing I believe which is driving this is interest rates; one for the dealer financing their inventory, i.e. floor planning and the other is trying to get the price low enough so their markup doesn't drive away price w/higher interest rate (Out the door cost) buyers.

Looks like CarMax is pretty new to LI, you sell it in East Meadow (Nassau) or Smithtown (Suffolk)?

Eric, sorry about the hit. The one thing I believe which is driving this is interest rates; one for the dealer financing their inventory, i.e. floor planning and the other is trying to get the price low enough so their markup doesn't drive away price w/higher interest rate (Out the door cost) buyers.

Looks like CarMax is pretty new to LI, you sell it in East Meadow (Nassau) or Smithtown (Suffolk)?

Hi,

Yes, Carmax is new to Long Island. I had to go to East Meadow even though I live 5 minutes from the new Smithtown location that opens this Wednesday. It is 10x the size of the East Meadow location.

$29k is a fair price in this market for that vehicle. I agree, floor plan is hurting dealers right now for sure. The car market around here still seems pretty strong but there is a lot of wealth in the NYC Metro area so I guess high rates don't affect cash buyers.

Are you from these parts?

Funny thought just crossed my mind. My wife had to use the 2008 F-150 today to take my son to a doctor appointment about 30 mins away. She actually said it rode nice and liked being King of the road with the higher stance where you can see more around you. Maybe that is a sign that she'll let me get a Super Duty truck I have always wanted, lol.

Hi,

Yes, Carmax is new to Long Island. I had to go to East Meadow even though I live 5 minutes from the new Smithtown location that opens this Wednesday. It is 10x the size of the East Meadow location.

$29k is a fair price in this market for that vehicle. I agree, floor plan is hurting dealers right now for sure. The car market around here still seems pretty strong but there is a lot of wealth in the NYC Metro area so I guess high rates don't affect cash buyers.

Are you from these parts?
Originally; lived in South Huntington until I was teenager and we moved to Florida. Work has me in the Eastern Midwest now. Still a fan of the Islanders, from before the Dynasty onwards....Wish I was in Jersey tomorrow to watch them beat that other New York team in person at Met Life.

Originally; lived in South Huntington until I was teenager and we moved to Florida. Work has me in the Eastern Midwest now. Still a fan of the Islanders, from before the Dynasty onwards....Wish I was in Jersey tomorrow to watch them beat that other New York team in person at Met Life.

You were fortunate to have gotten out of here. I am born and bread in Hauppauge. Long Island has become way overdeveloped and overpopulated for probably 20-30 years now. The middle class is getting squeezed out. All of my friends left for the Carolinas, Florida, etc. I am looking forward to leaving when we both retire, hoping in 8-10 years.

I'm a Rangers fan, lol. Everyone was an Islanders fan when I was young as they were in the dynasty phase. I had to be different. Looking forward to winning the game tomorrow against the little team that finally found a home here after all of these years.

You were fortunate to have gotten out of here. I am born and bread in Hauppauge. Long Island has become way overdeveloped and overpopulated for probably 20-30 years now. The middle class is getting squeezed out. All of my friends left for the Carolinas, Florida, etc. I am looking forward to leaving when we both retire, hoping in 8-10 years.

I'm a Rangers fan, lol. Everyone was an Islanders fan when I was young as they were in the dynasty phase. I had to be different. Looking forward to winning the game tomorrow against the little team that finally found a home here after all of these years.
There is always one...or 1000s of Rangers fans on LI. Ford Fan and I like GMs, oh well, vive la différence! Hope you can leave soon, my cousin is close to retiring from the Nassau County Police and moving to Florida, pretty much the last hold out.

They may be a smaller fan base, but we Isles fans are a hardy bunch, even from afar!

There is always one...or 1000s of Rangers fans on LI. Ford Fan and I like GMs, oh well, vive la différence! Hope you can leave soon, my cousin is close to retiring from the Nassau County Police and moving to Florida, pretty much the last hold out.

They may be a smaller fan base, but we Isles fans are a hardy bunch, even from afar!
Yes, they have a hard-core fan base even if they are fickle at times. Congrats to your cousin.

Back