Damn Yank Tanks! Aussies want full-size truck, rest of public losing its minds

This was a fun story to write up today. I’ve been following this off and on for the last few years.

“Yank Tanks.” English is a beautiful language 😂.

I wonder if US cities will take notes from Australian urban centers debating higher parking fees / tolls for driving a larger vehicle, if they pass of course.

As soon as they tax EVs for the miles driven since they don't pay gas tax that goes to the roads. (Or so the state gov't says the money goes to the roads anyway.)

As soon as they tax EVs for the miles driven since they don't pay gas tax that goes to the roads. (Or so the state gov't says the money goes to the roads anyway.)
Many states are working out a way to charge a miles driven tax per weight and vehicle class due to lost revenue from gas taxes because of EV and better MPG across the board.

"Both Utah and Oregon have voluntary mileage tax programs that range from 1 to 2 cents per mile driven. Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington have all discussed or introduced legislation related to mileage-based taxes."

Why would anyone want a GM, Ford or Ram when you can get a Toyota Land Cruiser 79 series or a Hilux.

The YouTube comments are fascinating. I've known we have had an audience from Australia for some time. They are sharing a lot of interesting information like:

@user-cj5vd4ti6q

21 hours ago
We have a very limited market here in Australia Hilux ford ranger etc so what people are doing here is converting the landcruiser 300 and 200 series landcruiser to a daul cab due to the limited market and thanks to the current government introduction if the new emissions tax and laws buying a standard Hilux outs the price up by almost $12,000 Aus dollars make even the basic car almost out of reach for all Australians so more older cars will either be converted and older cars staying on the road it is called the ute and SUV tax even the Jimny is getting taxed heavily We don't ha E the infrastructure to support the ev that Australia government is trying to force on us and with large distances to travel they become unviable unless you live in a major capital city I live 270 kilometres from a major city and living on a property a Hilux just don't cut it when towing a tractor etc

@user-cj5vd4ti6q

21 hours ago
To buy a landcruiser 70 series is a 2 yr wait and now can only get a 4 cylinder or you can go the 300 series landcruiser and convert but then you are pay over $200,000 Australia dollars and then if you sell it yourself have to pay to be re engineering certificate again it is just a money making thing and the new ute and SUV tax is pushing prices just for a small Jimny out if reach

I find some of the Aussie YouTube channels quite entertaining. They have a very specific market with its own challenges. They haven’t been supported very well by the big 3 if the videos are genuine.
One thing they have in Australia is something called consumer law where you can challenge that a product didn’t live up to its expected quality and longevity. I’ve heard some stories where this has been applied to dealers and automakers that try to wiggle out of honoring a warranty(or your vehicle dies out prematurely after warranty). Being from Canada it would be nice if we had some type of lemon law. We only have some form of arbitration that is not mandatory in my area.

I find some of the Aussie YouTube channels quite entertaining. They have a very specific market with its own challenges. They haven’t been supported very well by the big 3 if the videos are genuine.
One thing they have in Australia is something called consumer law where you can challenge that a product didn’t live up to its expected quality and longevity. I’ve heard some stories where this has been applied to dealers and automakers that try to wiggle out of honoring a warranty(or your vehicle dies out prematurely after warranty). Being from Canada it would be nice if we had some type of lemon law. We only have some form of arbitration that is not mandatory in my area.
Yep, it's interesting see how other countries do it. Like watching a British channel test a Ranger. They go on and on about how big it is and how it is just for serious work. I'd love to see them come here and get behind the wheel of an F350 or a Hummer...lol. And then we'll test a Ranger and state how it's a good truck but not a real work truck because it is so small.

Back