Cybertruck rust in the rain or … rail dust

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
This was really interesting to me and I ran a post/video immediately. I’ve also taken a little crap for that with people tired of EV hate. I don’t see it as EV hate, I find it really interesting with a new metal alloy, new design and I’m sure this won’t be the last time we hear about an issue with those panels. I literally saw my friend cut his finger on the sharp corners.

Thoughts?

This was really interesting to me and I ran a post/video immediately. I’ve also taken a little crap for that with people tired of EV hate. I don’t see it as EV hate, I find it really interesting with a new metal alloy, new design and I’m sure this won’t be the last time we hear about an issue with those panels. I literally saw my friend cut his finger on the sharp corners.

Thoughts?

I watched the video. The rust spots look like they may be from rail dust. If not, if those rust spots are inherent to the alloy tesla is using and they keep coming back, or get worse, tesla made a huge mistake. making people aware of this issue is not “ev hate.” You may have saved some consumers from buying an expensive headache/problem and that is a really good thing

There are different grades of stainless steel, Musk did mention Tesla was using their own custom formulation in the steel, steel manufacturers will make steel to your spec's if you choose, its not a big deal for them as long as the cheque is good, I watched the video, if its not from the rail, Tesla could be in a world of hurt, but then different parts of the country will have different environmental effects, besides stainless is hard to care for in the first place, to tell you the truth, Im waiting for the complaints of the truck sitting on its bump stops in the morning from air suspension leaks.

I just don't get what led him down the path of going all stainless. It looks great, in a kitchen, but as anybody know who has it ... you can't keep the shit looking good. Every minor imperfection shows up and it's hard to clean. My Weber BBQ will outlast me, but it doesn't look very good after a few years even covered and pretty well taken care of.

Thoughts?

Ever since the reveal fiasco with the window, it just seems the Cybertruck was a little too ambitious. They should have started simple with a traditional design with some Tesla "flare", gotten the truck customers, then came out with something like this.
But maybe that's the plan. Roadster first, then a sporty ass sedan, now the more mundane model 3 & Y. Maybe next year will be electric truck similar to an El Camino.

The Love/Hate in the comments has been pretty interesting. One guy is pretty pissed and told me, since I have 104k subscribers, I should be able to afford to fly to California, find a Cybertruck then get a professional detailer to give their opinion it. Many issues with that idea besides the fact detailers, mechanics and engineers all have their opinions. Unless you, say cut a piece of metal out and send it to a lab for years of testing, who really knows.

Back