Confusing warranty offers

DSR

Hi Tim (and all),
I started looking at low mileage pickups (Ram 1500) that are in the ‘22/‘23 model years using Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, etc. My question revolves around warranties this time.

From what I have read on numerous occasions (it is on the internet, it must be true!!), the manufacturer’s warranty is tied to the VIN. But when looking at cars on sites like the above, the dealers are offering standard 3 mo/3k coverage (or variations of that) with cars having upwards of 20k and two years or more technically left on the original warranty. One example is a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited with 15k miles but a 3/3 standard used car warranty.

A few of them add the phrase “beyond the 3yr/36k” but the majority do not. What gives? Is it a scam? Is there something sneaky going on that negates the original warranty? Are they just being generic in their advertising? I am instantly wary of used dealers but even new dealers know more of the backroom shenanigans (sorry, “sales knowledge”) with used cars than the average buyer.

Appreciate any input from the field!
Dan

Hi Tim (and all),
I started looking at low mileage pickups (Ram 1500) that are in the ‘22/‘23 model years using Cars.com, AutoTrader.com, etc. My question revolves around warranties this time.

From what I have read on numerous occasions (it is on the internet, it must be true!!), the manufacturer’s warranty is tied to the VIN. But when looking at cars on sites like the above, the dealers are offering standard 3 mo/3k coverage (or variations of that) with cars having upwards of 20k and two years or more technically left on the original warranty. One example is a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited with 15k miles but a 3/3 standard used car warranty.

A few of them add the phrase “beyond the 3yr/36k” but the majority do not. What gives? Is it a scam? Is there something sneaky going on that negates the original warranty? Are they just being generic in their advertising? I am instantly wary of used dealers but even new dealers know more of the backroom shenanigans (sorry, “sales knowledge”) with used cars than the average buyer.

Appreciate any input from the field!
Dan
Sounds like warranties aimed at going above and beyond the manufacturer’s warranty. Pretty common with most things. I remember when I worked at Best Buy and we sold extended warranties on top of the MFG warranty. It was both a cash grab by Best Buy and another item for peace of mind for consumers. Just depending on how you want to look at it.

Yeah. Just bought a newer dishwasher for the wife. Guy asked if I wanted the ext warranty; “I know you want me to want it so I’ll help you make your sales goal for the month. “
I will have to break down and call some of the places and see. They never specify that it is on top of the warranty so I get a bad case of Spock-eyebrow. “That is not logical, Captain.”

I guess I asked a tough question. Still getting the run-around on the question even from dealers. I smell a snake 😁😉

According to Ram, the only thing that can end a factory warranty early would be a modification or improper maintenance. Remember that the warranty begins when the truck officially goes into service, which is the date it was first sold, even as a dealer demo vehicle.

According to Ram, the only thing that can end a factory warranty early would be a modification or improper maintenance. Remember that the warranty begins when the truck officially goes into service, which is the date it was first sold, even as a dealer demo vehicle.
Thanks, Dusdaddy! I did read that at some point in my research but a 2022 should be in range. I wonder if they fall under a ‘mod’ category. Gives me another question to ask though!!!

It would have to be a pretty massive mod. Like lengthening the frame or making it a convertible. Installing a lift or a cold air intake will not be enough to void the warranty.

If you’re looking at a used vehicle, one option to look at would be a cpo (certified pre-owned). it is factory backed so it’s good at any dealer in the US that sells that make. it’s basically an extension of the various components of a factory warranty for a new vehicle, such as bumper to bumper, powertrain, emissions, etc. the key is buying a vehicle that is 1-2 years old with low miles, such as 20k or less.

Back