Cabin is bigger myth

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
So I keep seeing people comment about the new 2024 Ford Ranger cabin being bigger, especially in the rear. Where are people getting this idea? Is there a video or story claiming this?

So I keep seeing people comment about the new 2024 Ford Ranger cabin being bigger, especially in the rear. Where are people getting this idea? Is there a video or story claiming this?

I haven't heard or read any claim about it being bigger just that the rear seat seems to have more room than the rest in the segment. This is from Truck King, TFL and a couple others.

I saw most review videos commented that it was or felt bigger than the Taco so many commenters latched on to that. Those same reviewers also said it was minimal and was still cramped. In other words, it's the back seat of a mid-sized truck.

I also heard many reviewers comment that the ride was slightly stiffer than the Taco with coils as well. Which is also silly. Like you said Tim, pretty much any modern vehicle rides smooth and comfortable.

I saw most review videos commented that it was or felt bigger than the Taco so many commenters latched on to that. Those same reviewers also said it was minimal and was still cramped. In other words, it's the back seat of a mid-sized truck.

I also heard many reviewers comment that the ride was slightly stiffer than the Taco with coils as well. Which is also silly. Like you said Tim, pretty much any modern vehicle rides smooth and comfortable.

What I heard was I could spend more time back here than in the GM twins or Tacoma, not just room but position etc. It's definitely a noticeable feeling is my take-away.

I'm curious to see how the fancy seats in the Tacoma TRD Pro kill the use of the backseat altogether. Not only are they huge but hard plastic... not good on the knees vs. a soft seat back.

What is this weird arbitrary rule on pickups fitting in garages? how many people actually park their truck in their garage to the point manufactures would engineer a cab and bed just for that situation?
I have had pickup trucks my whole life and a garage most of it and I never park in the garage.

To answer Tim directly, this is Truck Kings review with the Steven who always gets in the back seat or 3rd row of any vehicle they review. Good for him! His consistency brings added value to his reviews. (22:45 for rear seat remarks) In summary, marginal but better than Tacoma and Frontier in space and position.

This is Andre:

(16:30ish for the Taco 18:25ish for the Ranger) Better knee heighth and more comfortable, more room.

Here is Texas Truck:

(4:30ish mark, gobs of room, Brian would work back there and definitely more room than a Tacoma)

So, in summary, not a myth. Lastly, specific measurements don't really matter as each manu has their own measuring criteria. There all close on paper but when I notice EVERY review I watch talk about more rear seat room in the Ranger, I notice.

Last edited:
What is this weird arbitrary rule on pickups fitting in garages? how many people actually park their truck in their garage to the point manufactures would engineer a cab and bed just for that situation?
I have had pickup trucks my whole life and a garage most of it and I never park in the garage.
Mid-size trucks? Lots of them. It is in the top 3 buying reasons.

Full-size or HD trucks? Nah. They don't care.

To answer Tim directly, this is Truck Kings review with the Steven who always gets in the back seat or 3rd row of any vehicle they review. Good for him! His consistency brings added value to his reviews. (22:45 for rear seat remarks) In summary, marginal but better than Tacoma and Frontier in space and position.

This is Andre:

(16:30ish for the Taco 18:25ish for the Ranger) Better knee heighth and more comfortable, more room.

Here is Texas Truck:

(4:30ish mark, gobs of room, Brian would work back there and definitely more room than a Tacoma)

So, in summary, not a myth. Lastly, specific measurements don't really matter as each manu has their own measuring criteria. There all close on paper but when I notice EVERY review I watch talk about more rear seat room in the Ranger, I notice.
Thanks.

From sitting in the rear of all of them not to long ago, the number each manufacturer claim are total BS, not based in reality and not useful to compare trucks to one another. Sitting in the back, ranger is noticeably bigger than the frontier and tacoma, slightly bigger than the new colorado/canyon and smaller than the ridgeline.

I also think people/reviewers mention it being bigger because they widen the cab slightly compare to the previous gen.

So this was interesting today, with the vehicles side by side, Nathan says the Ranger seems a little less comfortable/roomy feeling in the back seat of the Ranger compared to the Frontier Hard Body. I think this series they're going to do comparing all the midsizers at once will be very interesting.

And in the latest video from TFL, Nathan said the back seat of the Ranger felt more upright and his knees were oddly spread more for room. He said the Nissan was better, go figure. It's all relative to the individual. It's like power numbers, they all have enough.

The Ranger Crew Cab's wheelbase is 128.7 in. compared to the 131 inches plus of Tacoma and Colorado. Ford doing a better job of Thermal Management and devote more wheelbase to cabin room and less to engine bay cooling space?

Back