Buy a Ranger instead of Tacoma?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I've been getting some feedback about my purchase decision to buy a new Tacoma this year stating that if TFL is buying one, why don't I buy something else? This same thing played out a few years ago when we both bought Tundra trucks. It didn't seem to matter for the views and, frankly, I thought I did a much better job deep diving on things.

The Ranger Raptor is a super truck through & through but it is priced outside of my budget. The lariat FX4 ranger is real nice & I like all the room you get in the back seats. It’s funny that Ford is not offering a Tremor package for the new Ranger?

I've been getting some feedback about my purchase decision to buy a new Tacoma this year stating that if TFL is buying one, why don't I buy something else? This same thing played out a few years ago when we both bought Tundra trucks. It didn't seem to matter for the views and, frankly, I thought I did a much better job deep diving on things.
I'm historically a big fan of both channels, unfortunately, it seems like the depth just isn't at TFL anymore. The amount of content they produce has exploded in the last couple of years and with that has come a bunch of new faces (some shouldn't be on camera) and much more high level glossed over reviews. Gone are the days of Andre really breaking down a truck comparing it to its peers with thorough pointed reviews.

I'm historically a big fan of both channels, unfortunately, it seems like the depth just isn't at TFL anymore. The amount of content they produce has exploded in the last couple of years and with that has come a bunch of new faces (some shouldn't be on camera) and much more high level glossed over reviews. Gone are the days of Andre really breaking down a truck comparing it to its peers with thorough pointed reviews.
I think that's what separates my work from TFLs. They have an amazing business and have been very, very successful. I'm just not interested in their current work (diesel drag races) and they have so many channels and new faces I can't keep up. I really wish they would introduce themselves on camera more so I know who they are when I see them at events. I'm an old retail guy who wore a name badge to work for years and I insist anyone doing video on our channel introduce themselves and say their job title. That's important to me and I think the audience appreciates it.

TIm,

I doubt you will able to get either by the end of 2023. How does that affect the tax situation that you refer to in your videos?

I am a Ford guy through and through. I leased a 2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4. I just do not care for the styling of the 2024 at all (aside from the Raptor). It is too bland and just does not compete with Toyota, Chevy/GMC, or the others right now. The 2.7L will give it a big edge in power but the lack of styling and no rear seat HVAC is a big miss. They need a Tremor model also.

I would pass on the Ranger myself and stick with the Taco but that is just me. Good luck with your decision, I will watch either way.

TIm,

I doubt you will able to get either by the end of 2023. How does that affect the tax situation that you refer to in your videos?

I am a Ford guy through and through. I leased a 2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4. I just do not care for the styling of the 2024 at all (aside from the Raptor). It is too bland and just does not compete with Toyota, Chevy/GMC, or the others right now. The 2.7L will give it a big edge in power but the lack of styling and no rear seat HVAC is a big miss. They need a Tremor model also.

I would pass on the Ranger myself and stick with the Taco but that is just me. Good luck with your decision, I will watch either way.
I’ve been thinking about going in to my tax account to ask that very question. Frankly, it has been a down year for revenue and spending $21k on Swede might be just enough of a write off I wouldn’t need to buy a truck. However, a new truck really does drive the views. I’m pretty torn.

I'll watch whatever you get. I think the Taco will bring in the most views though.

I like both your carefulness with specs, and the subjective impressions of ergonomics, materials, power, handling, and other touch points that you provide. I wouldn't mind knowing how hard it is to replace the air and oil filters. I change my oil.

Please include software comments. Are there annoying popups on the center cluster when taking the emergency brake off, changing from park to drive, turning off the auto start stop, etc? Do you have to go into a menu on a touch screen to use the heater/AC, or the radio? Do you - God forbid - have to have a login or create a profile (Tundra) to drive the truck? To me, software profiles and logins should get as much bad press as Chevy selling the Colorado without a cruise control. Clutsy, unstable, non-intuitive, randomly changed software interfaces and anything related to the dealership are the two most annoying things about modern vehicles.

If you get a Ranger, I think the 2.7 would be a must to draw views. The 2.3 in the Ranger is an already known quantity. The Ford 2.7 vs. the GM 2.7 for power and efficiency in the midsize segment is probably going to be of interest to viewers. Right now, the GM 2.7 is the midsize motor to beat.

Thanks for the Colorado vs Ranger article, Tim. Anyone hearing any more complaints about the over-the-air updates draining the batteries on the Colorados? Any other emerging problems?

Thanks for the Colorado vs Ranger article, Tim. Anyone hearing any more complaints about the over-the-air updates draining the batteries on the Colorados? Any other emerging problems?
There’s been two fixes on the software draining issue. One in December and another one just this week. I think they have it narrowed down and are fixing it. I haven’t heard any new outcry’s on social media.

You have to go with the views Tim. Will the new Ranger be interesting enough to overcome the popularity and sales numbers of the Tacoma? The Ranger drive event that you and Jill are going on should give you the answer you are looking for. How excited are you when driving it is the measure.

Super curious about the 2.7 pricing, the tremor package return and the potential PHEV.
I think those would all be great additions......but I just don't think Ford cares enough to bother. With the Mav and Bronco going so well, why bother? They never sold that many Rangers anyway. And if there is a PHEV, it'll be Mav first.

I think those would all be great additions......but I just don't think Ford cares enough to bother. With the Mav and Bronco going so well, why bother? They never sold that many Rangers anyway. And if there is a PHEV, it'll be Mav first.
Not so sure about the part the Ford does not care. They are bringing up a 3rd shift at the plant that produces the Bronco and Ranger so there's still hope.

I don’t know about that. There is Ranger PHEV sold elsewhere in the world so it is feasible that we could see that arrive first. Maverick refresh likely for 2025 MY, maybe hybrid AWD option.

Not so sure about the part the Ford does not care. They are bringing up a 3rd shift at the plant that produces the Bronco and Ranger so there's still hope.
I just look at history. Ford has never sold that many Rangers annually since they brought it back in 2019. And now with the Maverick, I'm betting that number will go down even further. Back in the 2000's it was a nice small truck that worked well but then it ballooned up in size.

I just look at history. Ford has never sold that many Rangers annually since they brought it back in 2019. And now with the Maverick, I'm betting that number will go down even further. Back in the 2000's it was a nice small truck that worked well but then it ballooned up in size.
The Ranger is an odd fit in their lineup now. I think the pricing is different enough to garner attention between it and the F-150, but that's about it. They didn't do anything exceptional IMO with the new model.

I just wished they spent some more time in the interior, especially the back seat area. Like come on, at least give us a flat floor and a 60/40 split for the seat instead of all or nothing.

I honestly think the only reason they released it here is because they already had it in other countries so why not? It'll be more popular everywhere else because it won't have to compete with the F-150. Here? It'll be lost in all the other offerings on the Ford lot.

Back