Awd option in a truck

kevfranco

Hi,

I watched a lot of reviews from different journalists on 1/2 ton trucks in the last couple of years. I noticed in the videos I watched that no one has ever talked about the awd option in a truck. That is very surprising to me. I have been hesitant to bring it up because people might think it's stupid to even talk about it. But i decided to bring it up in the forum because I'm really curious to know what people think about it.

People will often talk about different engine choices, towing capacity, seat comfort, reliability and gas mileage when trying to decide what truck they will buy. But i have never heard someone say that they consider buying a truck because it has awd as an option. Is the awd a valuable option?

I wonder why people don't talk about that option. I personally think that having an awd in a truck is a really good option. Especially if you live in a region where there is a lot of snow and black ice.

I'm curious to know what are the opinions of the people in this forum about the awd option (Pros and cons).

Thanks.

Kevin

I feel like it's talked about quite a bit but never really pointed out where it's missing in some manufacturers. I think it's a great option and coming from the Pacific Northwest really useful. I'm in and out of 4 Auto all the time during fall and winter. I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor but it would definitely be a big factor for me when comparing vehicles.

One downside is that in a 4 auto system the transfer case is clutch driven and not a locking t case. Some vehicles with 4 auto (RAM) have huge limitations in the system as it regularly isn't engaging like a true AWD or 4Hi system would. It regularly cuts power to the front tires especially when turning or under load. Getty adventures YouTube channel does a great breakdown of that issue with RAM trucs, I do believe they mostly solved it in the newer models.

Toyota doesn't offer it in the Tacoma or the Tundra which is a miss in my opinion. I don't know for sure but I feel like it's pretty standard on Ford and GM.

I watched a lot of reviews from different journalists on 1/2 ton trucks in the last couple of years. I noticed in the videos I watched that no one has ever talked about the awd option in a truck. That is very surprising to me. I have been hesitant to bring it up because people might think it's stupid to even talk about it. But i decided to bring it up in the forum because I'm really curious to know what people think about it.
Actually, I see many reviewers calling a truck out for the lack of 4wd auto. It was brought up often about the new Taco. They do offer a full-time 4wd but it is only available on the Limited. Personally, I'd prefer that over either system for slick condition driving and mild off-roading. In 4wd Auto, the benefit can be quickly lost because of the delay in engagement. Sure, starting from a stop on slick roads, it eventually helps, but it doesn't help quickly enough if driving on a slick corner and you lose traction.

It’s funny that I’ve been thinking about this recently. At times I’ve heard some reviewers talk about the differences. I’ve recently upgraded from a RAM with just 4HI and 4LOW to one that includes 4wd auto. I’ve noticed the difference when launching my boat at the cottage. The new truck (which has a 321 diff old one had a 392) behaves much differently when I tow my boat back up a loose gravel hill with a sharp turn(at the cottage). In my old truck I never had to use 4LOW. In the new truck I get too much slippage in 4Hi. Considering I’m’ the one who fixes the gravel on the hill I don’t want slippage. As Fightnfire mentioned it’s a clutch driven system … so I find the truck is trying to do more electronically than on the old truck. On the old truck it would just lock into 4HI or 4LOW. Food for thought that the older system might be better for true off roaders.

I bring up the option for 4 Auto quite a bit IMO. There is a difference between AWD and auto 4WD especially for trucks. 4WD is much better for off-road driving and extreme traction needs whereas AWD is good for slippery conditions and isn't so hot for some off-road driving situations.

A good example of this is the Honda Ridgeline vs say the Toyota Tacoma. The Ridgeline has AWD meanwhile the Tacoma comes with 4WD options like 4Hi or 4Lo. The Tacoma can certainly handle more off-road trails than the Ridgeline. They both will do a pretty good job on slippery conditions IF the Tacoma is put in 4Hi.

As far as a 4Auto option, I find there's a lot of debate on this feature. It automatically engages 4WD when the truck senses slippage through the clutch. Critics point to the concerns about wearing down the clutch over time and reduced fuel economy when the 4Auto is constantly on.

Proponents point out how nice it is in some driving situations for peace of mind.

I think automakers are listening to these Pros/Cons which is why they are often offering it in only certain trims for customers who favor convenience over repair. For lower trims, aka work trucks and what not, it isn't an option because they value reliability over convenience.

I've owned trucks with and without 4Auto. It is a nice to have feature for me, but not a deal breaker.

I bring up the option for 4 Auto quite a bit IMO. There is a difference between AWD and auto 4WD especially for trucks. 4WD is much better for off-road driving and extreme traction needs whereas AWD is good for slippery conditions and isn't so hot for some off-road driving situations.

A good example of this is the Honda Ridgeline vs say the Toyota Tacoma. The Ridgeline has AWD meanwhile the Tacoma comes with 4WD options like 4Hi or 4Lo. The Tacoma can certainly handle more off-road trails than the Ridgeline. They both will do a pretty good job on slippery conditions IF the Tacoma is put in 4Hi.

As far as a 4Auto option, I find there's a lot of debate on this feature. It automatically engages 4WD when the truck senses slippage through the clutch. Critics point to the concerns about wearing down the clutch over time and reduced fuel economy when the 4Auto is constantly on.

Proponents point out how nice it is in some driving situations for peace of mind.

I think automakers are listening to these Pros/Cons which is why they are often offering it in only certain trims for customers who favor convenience over repair. For lower trims, aka work trucks and what not, it isn't an option because they value reliability over convenience.

I've owned trucks with and without 4Auto. It is a nice to have feature for me, but not a deal breaker.
In my previous comment I should have specified that the mechanical differences in the two transfer cases aren’t always specified. I know reviewers don’t want to repeat themselves so that would be why. I specifically wanted the 4wd auto feature on this truck. I live in Ontario and where I live we get a lot of mixed weather in the winter. In my previous 3 trucks I would constantly be switching between 4HI and 2WD as I switched from snow/Ice to dry pavement and back again. It’s a convenience feature but we all like these luxuries sometimes. Time will tell if I put extra strain on this more sophisticated system with my specific use at my cottage boat launch. 4WD auto was very nice last winter. I personally haven’t done my due diligence in looking into exactly the differences between 4WD auto systems when you use 4HI and 4LO and the older systems that only come with 4HI and 4LO options. Thanks for all the info Tim.

Last edited:
In my previous comment I should have specified that the mechanical differences in the two transfer cases aren’t always specified. I know reviewers don’t want to repeat themselves so that would be why. I specifically wanted the 4wd auto feature on this truck. I live in Ontario and where I live we get a lot of mixed weather in the winter. In my previous 3 trucks I would constantly be switching between 4HI and 2WD as I switched from snow/Ice to dry pavement and back again. It’s a convenience feature but we all like these luxuries sometimes. Time will tell if I put extra strain on this more sophisticated system with my specific use at my cottage boat launch. 4WD auto was very nice last winter. I personally haven’t done my due diligence in looking into exactly the differences between 4WD auto systems when you use 4HI and 4LO and the older systems that only come with 4HI and 4LO options. Thanks for all the info Tim.
I'm the same way. My focus is on slippery winter driving, so I want AWD or 4wd Auto or Full-time 4wd. Very few need the hard locking old school version of 4wd. Not many people treat their expensive trucks to that kind of driving.

I noticed in my Ram with Auto, that even when I select 4wd Lock, the rear still needed to spin slightly before the front engaged. That's the only weak point of the Auto. But for me, the benefit far outweighs that weakness.

Back