Average age of a "new" used truck?

Saddle Tramp

When you are looking for a new to you pickup, do you focus on rigs that just came off lease or do you focus on something newer or older? Just curious.

When you are looking for a new to you pickup, do you focus on rigs that just came off lease or do you focus on something newer or older? Just curious.

Less the age and more the KM's and condition, combined with as much knowledge as I can get on that specific year of the truck.

If I can find a truck that looks like it belonged to an old man in excellent condition, that rockets it up immediately. So a cap on the back is a good indicator for that, another good indicators is if its oil sprayed but that is somewhat location dependent as I'm sure it doesn't happen in Texas.

Condition and how it was driven is the most important to me when it's older. I hate buying used from a dealer because you just don't know the history.

A couple of years old and still under warranty? Miles and time until that warranty ends factors in more for me.

Low miles, condition and what technology the truck DOESN'T have...I don't like direct injection with associated high pressure fuel pumps, Instrument Panels with huge binnacles and screens obscuring a view already compromised by a high hood. Like Jill demonstrated here:

Chapter 3, Time stamp 3:52. BTW, I am 5'9" and I don't like it either.

New trucks have to deal with thermal management and larger grills and intakes are needed for the task. Conversely, because the front aero is compromised, the rears are pinched:

Clearly a narrower tailgate opening in the new Tundra.

Did I mention all the parts on newer vehicles which are substandard? Lifters, Cams, Fasteners, Seat Foam? How about counterfeit parts also:

https://www.automotivelogistics.med...ighting-back-against-fake-parts/40052.article

Was gonna post in the Tacoma Broke thread, but probably just as apropos here:

Last edited:
This leads to another question: Are we at the point where people keep older trucks (70's - 2000's) instead of newer trucks because they are easier to keep up?

This leads to another question: Are we at the point where people keep older trucks (70's - 2000's) instead of newer trucks because they are easier to keep up?
I do, and kept my 2000 Sonoma and 2002 Bravada (BOF SUV) up until last year. The challenge is parts. My 2010 Tahoe power mirror part from the dealer didn't work and I had to find a good one using Amazon's third party searchand it was one of only four left. "Only one left" on newer pieces too and light assemblies for newer cars are scarce also. Rock Auto had only one such assembly left for my kid's 2018 Jeep.

Sure, the Dormans and GM Parts Giants of the world can mark a part and sell it, but you have a volume of vehicles so they can make $$$. If your truck was low production 197o's Chevy Luv or Ford Courier, better get some parts vehicles (plural) like the Air Force does with the aircraft boneyard in Arizona or the Navy does with mothballed hulks in Philly. "Canx'ing" (cannibalizing) parts is not just for an underfunded military anymore.

Not around me. You can try all you want but the environment does them in. Rusted rockers and fenders are one thing but frames and spring mounts are another.

Back