Ask the Toyota Engineers, Tim

Beninbeta

The manuals for the Toyota Hybrids are available now. Here are the payload numbers for the Trailhunter and Pros. So where is that 1700 lbs claim they made and how do the much heavier hybrids have the same payload as the much lighter gas only models??

1712449911059.png

I've assumed from the beginning that the 1700 number was for the 2WD base models, same as all the manus do. As for the hybrid they're just raising the gvwr, similar to what Ford did for the Ranger.

At least you don't have to subtract all the bolted-on accessories from the payload. Most tacomas build start off with sub 1200lbs of payload and then proceed to put a couple hundred pounds of steel on the truck...

That doesn't really make sense to me though. So I can just magically raise the gross vehicle weight rating by putting a new sticker on my truck? If your frame is meant to far exceed what the they put on the sticker, what's the point in the rating? There's more to this story, I think.

Second, none of the current Tacomas has more than 1200 lbs of payload according to the manual, so that negates that theory.
1712454859950.png

1712454889781.png

That doesn't really make sense to me though. So I can just magically raise the gross vehicle weight rating by putting a new sticker on my truck? If your frame is meant to far exceed what the they put on the sticker, what's the point in the rating? There's more to this story, I think.

Second, none of the current Tacomas has more than 1200 lbs of payload according to the manual, so that negates that theory.
View attachment 358

View attachment 359
The manufacturer set the GVWR and it's basically impossible to change that number once the vehicle leaves the factory. The can fudge the numbers a bit but they always leave some safety margin in there. And who knows, the TRD Pro and the TH might have some reinforcements to their frames kinda like the ranger raptor.

Looking through the manual for the hybrid and the regular Tacoma there's about a 300+ pound difference GCWR and GVWR so as suspected they've raised the weight capacity of the hybrids to offset the extra weight.

It's pretty common for manufacturers to do this, the question is why aim so low with the non hybrids to begin with?

But yeah looking through the manual I don't see anything over 1200ish so they were just full of shit the whole time, that's disappointing.

Yep that's what I'm seeing too. It's unfortunate especially for the brand that's all about off-road and overlanding. But I've made my choice, and I do really like the truck so far. So I guess that's what matters!

The manuals for the Toyota Hybrids are available now. Here are the payload numbers for the Trailhunter and Pros. So where is that 1700 lbs claim they made and how do the much heavier hybrids have the same payload as the much lighter gas only models??

Somebody in marketing made a typo between a 7 and a 2. So, 1200 became 1700. Damn interns....

Not sure how they can explain themselves out of this other than somewhere buried in the fine print of those press release statement is: "These are preliminary numbers subject to change for final production."

This is directly from Toyota's website today... so.. not a typo and still full of s***. Other manufacturers do this but usually they have a truck, a 2WD base model, that hit's that max payload number. Toyota doesn't seem to have one that even gets close.

1712849300849.png

I think this is something you need to get a quote from Toyota Eng and Marketing on in a video and you'll get some views on that video!
Agreed, it's a hot topic on all of the Toyota forums right now. Lots of people are looking for Tacoma's with higher payload and not finding them.

The only thing I could get them to say is their payload number is conservative. Not really much for a video.
Sad that that was all the response they gave. Conservative or not, you gotta make the numbers on the truck match the marketing. It seems shady and just lowers their image in my mind. This isn't subjective criteria like "best off roader in its class!"*. And then at the bottom- *Class being hybrid powered mid-sized trucks.

Sad that that was all the response they gave. Conservative or not, you gotta make the numbers on the truck match the marketing. It seems shady and just lowers their image in my mind. This isn't subjective criteria like "best off roader in its class!"*. And then at the bottom- *Class being hybrid powered mid-sized trucks.
Agree with this. It's pretty misleading, often times decisions are made online by looking through material. As of right now Toyota still states up to 1,700lbs of payload on the marketing materials. That will have people thinking it's class leading instead of near the bottom of the pack.

Back