Are Luxury Vehicles Still Really Lux and Turbos

Beninbeta

@testerdahl and @jillciminillo I had a thought today that might be interesting for a podcast and/or video.

Are Luxury brand vehicles really still luxury? If so, what separates these brands from the rest.

It seems like every brand has a lux trim that can compete with lux brands and many of the most popular lux models are not as lux as you might think.

I owned an 2017 Audi A4 Prestige for a few years and my friend had a BMW 4 series. Honestly, other vehicles were more comfortable and had the same features as those vehicles. Don't get me wrong they were nice, but I feel like my Tacoma is pretty similar to what the Audi brought, though that was several years ago.

Also I have had a lot of hate on my channel about the turbo 4 in the Tacoma. And I'm wondering if there is data on all of the turbo 4 cyl engines that have been used by many of the lux brands and others for the past 10+ years on reliability? I haven't seen massive recalls in the news with those or major issues, but I don't live in that space anymore either. Also turbos have been used in diesels forever, they are some of the most reliable vehicles on the planet. Why would a gas engine be different from that especially if the engine is developed specifically to use a turbo?

Thanks!

Not much anymore. Luxury used to mean features and ride quality but now you can get that in a pick-up. Granted, the price may be close to the same as the luxury car though.

@testerdahl and @jillciminillo I had a thought today that might be interesting for a podcast and/or video.

Are Luxury brand vehicles really still luxury? If so, what separates these brands from the rest.

It seems like every brand has a lux trim that can compete with lux brands and many of the most popular lux models are not as lux as you might think.

I owned an 2017 Audi A4 Prestige for a few years and my friend had a BMW 4 series. Honestly, other vehicles were more comfortable and had the same features as those vehicles. Don't get me wrong they were nice, but I feel like my Tacoma is pretty similar to what the Audi brought, though that was several years ago.

Also I have had a lot of hate on my channel about the turbo 4 in the Tacoma. And I'm wondering if there is data on all of the turbo 4 cyl engines that have been used by many of the lux brands and others for the past 10+ years on reliability? I haven't seen massive recalls in the news with those or major issues, but I don't live in that space anymore either. Also turbos have been used in diesels forever, they are some of the most reliable vehicles on the planet. Why would a gas engine be different from that especially if the engine is developed specifically to use a turbo?

Thanks!
Luxury brands are styling, interior materials and the latest features like technology. That's about it.

On turbos, they have been on the market for decades. Now in the 1980s they were pretty bad, no question. Since about the time Ford really went mainstream with them in the F-150 more than a decade ago, they are now everywhere. They have also proven to be pretty reliable. However, you'll NEVER when that argument with a viewer. Trust me on that one. The problem is IF a turbo fails, it is easily $3k. That causes people to worry.

Funny thing is a NA engine can also fail - GM lifters anyone? And that repair can be just as expensive. People don't want to hear that.

IMO - this turbo talk will go away at some point. Why? You won't be able to buy a new vehicle without a turbo. Buyers love the power of them and how much faster the truck feels. That matters a lot on a test drive.

I think in the next 5 years, every midsize truck will soon be only offered in a turbo. In the full-size market, you'll see more brands go to turbos and get away from NA V8s through not offering them on all trims to eventually killing them off.

I once had a very adamant viewer who screamed at me to say he WOULD NEVER BUY A NEW TURBO MIDSIZE TRUCK!!! I calmly replied, "well what do you plan to buy then? You are running out of choices." He didn't reply. LOL

I rented a Silverado with the 2.7 on a recent trip to the bay area. (actually had a midsize reserved, was hoping for a Tacoma but they were out) I was pleasantly surprised, over 400 miles I was right around 20mpg and it had more get up and go than I expected. It's smoother and quiter than a V8 but does lack the overall feel of a similar spec'd V8. They're not for me but I don't fear a turbo engine by any means.

I rented a Silverado with the 2.7 on a recent trip to the bay area. (actually had a midsize reserved, was hoping for a Tacoma but they were out) I was pleasantly surprised, over 400 miles I was right around 20mpg and it had more get up and go than I expected. It's smoother and quiter than a V8 but does lack the overall feel of a similar spec'd V8. They're not for me but I don't fear a turbo engine by any means.
I think that's just it. Until you drive one, you don't realize it isn't just a 4-banger. It is a turbocharged engine.

For a while, whenever I read a critical comment on them, I asked the viewer if they drove one. 99% of the time, it was no. Now, I see comments that say, "you know I didn't realize how good it actually was." All about perceptions and resistance to change.

I think that's just it. Until you drive one, you don't realize it isn't just a 4-banger. It is a turbocharged engine.

For a while, whenever I read a critical comment on them, I asked the viewer if they drove one. 99% of the time, it was no. Now, I see comments that say, "you know I didn't realize how good it actually was." All about perceptions and resistance to change.
I think the problem with the 2.7 liter turbo in the GM full size trucks is GM forgot to add on two extra cylinders, people hear four cylinder in a full size truck and they blank out, me included. At least Ram knew enough to make theirs a proper inline six, which brings up a thought, I wonder if Ram is going to make a four cylinder version of the Hurricane engine for the Wrangler?

I think the problem with the 2.7 liter turbo in the GM full size trucks is GM forgot to add on two extra cylinders, people hear four cylinder in a full size truck and they blank out, me included. At least Ram knew enough to make theirs a proper inline six, which brings up a thought, I wonder if Ram is going to make a four cylinder version of the Hurricane engine for the Wrangler?
Nah, the Wrangler has the 4xe and that's probably what they will keep in it.

I think the same type of logic is applied to EVs. If I lived in a metropolitan area and commuted to work I would not have any issues owning an EV but I live in a remote area and an EV would not work. But I don’t constantly bash EVs just because they don’t work for me. EVs are becoming a part of the world’s transportation system just like gas, diesel and hydrogen powered vehicles. People like options well the manufacturers are giving those to the consumer, IMO.

I think the same type of logic is applied to EVs. If I lived in a metropolitan area and commuted to work I would not have any issues owning an EV but I live in a remote area and an EV would not work. But I don’t constantly bash EVs just because they don’t work for me. EVs are becoming a part of the world’s transportation system just like gas, diesel and hydrogen powered vehicles. People like options well the manufacturers are giving those to the consumer, IMO.
Ain't that the truth. Someone who tows a 6K camper trailer 10k a year will bash EVs all day long because it won't do what they need/want. I used to drive a mere 5 miles to work every day. An EV or even a PHEV would have been perfect. And honestly better than my ICE hemi. That short drive did it no favors. Sure, it wouldn't work well when I tow my trailer to camp 500 miles away but I get that.

Back