Any high mileage EcoBoost owners out there?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
The F-150 EcoBoost has been out for over a decade and while there's a bad turbo here or there, I'm wondering what's the other side of the story. I mean, besides the negative my truck's turbo went out at XX,XXX miles, does anyone have a story to share about good luck with an EcoBoost engine?

Issues with my transmission on the 2021 F150 2.7L. Other than that it’s been a great vehicle. And yes Tim it’s been reflashed and going in again on Thursday to be reevaluated again…..Ford service department is talking about replacing it.

Issues with my transmission on the 2021 F150 2.7L. Other than that it’s been a great vehicle. And yes Tim it’s been reflashed and going in again on Thursday to be reevaluated again…..Ford service department is talking about replacing it.
That's for the comment on reflash and please reply back with what the dealer says.

59k on my '21 F150 with the 2.7 EB. No turbo issues. Not exactly high miles, but I will update as the miles go by.

So far the only issue with the truck is the buggy infotainment system. At ~80k miles, I'll get whatever issues I have fixed. I bought the 100k Ford extended warranty from Ziegler Ford (1/2 price). Occasionally a hard down shift if I stop suddenly.

I understand the Eco -OR- Boost statements, but I am very pleased with the efficiency and power of this driveline. Towing a travel trailer 10mpg and plenty of power. Towing a utility trailer with ~2500lbs, 18mpg from Alabama to the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyuktuk NWT and back. Traveling @ ~60mph from Alabama to Michigan and back 25.5 mpg over 2200 mile trip. General driving 20-21 mpg. All on 87 octane.

The truck is smooth, quiet, comfortable (not very trucky as Tim said about his PowerBoost), powerful, and efficient. I hope it holds up. The 2.7 is my favorite engine of any vehicle I have had.

Attachments

• IMG_1054 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1054 Large.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3711 Large.jpeg
    IMG_3711 Large.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The F-150 EcoBoost has been out for over a decade and while there's a bad turbo here or there, I'm wondering what's the other side of the story. I mean, besides the negative my truck's turbo went out at XX,XXX miles, does anyone have a story to share about good luck with an EcoBoost engine?
I have a friend who has an ECO-BOOST FORD, I think it’s an 2018. The only engine issue he has had is that he had to replace the throttle body.

I've had two 3.5's and excellent luck with both. My first was a 2011 XLT Supercrew with the 3.5 that I traded off with 184k miles on it. Passed the trade-in inspection with flying colors. Only issues ever were maintenance items (battery, brakes, tires, etc) and then around 175k a coolant fitting on the back of the head started leaking. About $350 later it was fine.

Traded it in on my 2020 F-150 XLT SuperCrew with the 3.5 in July of 2020. Got that truck with 53 miles on it, now it has 65,200. At 60k the dealer noticed some seepage on the rearend (pumpkin) so they opened it up, changed fluid and re-sealed it under warranty. Aside from a driver's heated seat that just went out in December in Nebraska it's been completely trouble free. Heck the stock Goodyear tires lasted almost 55k before I replaced them.

Can't say enough good about these trucks. I used to do a lot of commuting on the highway and it was nice to have all that power, good ride and absolutely quiet interior. My better half has a Lexus ES300h hybrid (2018) and my truck is damn near as quiet as that car. They both have gotten excellent fuel economy as long as you keep it reasonable speed wise or have favorable wind. My best in the 2020 was consistently 23.5mpg between Lincoln and Omaha doing 70 on the highway (NOT I-80). Best high speed was doing 85 north to south across Wyoming in the spring of 2022.

Now that I work from home I'm looking forward to likely keeping this one forever. I lucked out at the peak of covid finding the exact truck I wanted on the lot. I think the EcoBoost issues were overblown during the first gen - which did indeed have issues if you didn't drive it much or ever work it. Second gen is rock solid.

I've had two 3.5's and excellent luck with both. My first was a 2011 XLT Supercrew with the 3.5 that I traded off with 184k miles on it. Passed the trade-in inspection with flying colors. Only issues ever were maintenance items (battery, brakes, tires, etc) and then around 175k a coolant fitting on the back of the head started leaking. About $350 later it was fine.

Traded it in on my 2020 F-150 XLT SuperCrew with the 3.5 in July of 2020. Got that truck with 53 miles on it, now it has 65,200. At 60k the dealer noticed some seepage on the rearend (pumpkin) so they opened it up, changed fluid and re-sealed it under warranty. Aside from a driver's heated seat that just went out in December in Nebraska it's been completely trouble free. Heck the stock Goodyear tires lasted almost 55k before I replaced them.

Can't say enough good about these trucks. I used to do a lot of commuting on the highway and it was nice to have all that power, good ride and absolutely quiet interior. My better half has a Lexus ES300h hybrid (2018) and my truck is damn near as quiet as that car. They both have gotten excellent fuel economy as long as you keep it reasonable speed wise or have favorable wind. My best in the 2020 was consistently 23.5mpg between Lincoln and Omaha doing 70 on the highway (NOT I-80). Best high speed was doing 85 north to south across Wyoming in the spring of 2022.

Now that I work from home I'm looking forward to likely keeping this one forever. I lucked out at the peak of covid finding the exact truck I wanted on the lot. I think the EcoBoost issues were overblown during the first gen - which did indeed have issues if you didn't drive it much or ever work it. Second gen is rock solid.
Thanks for sharing. It is nice to read someone having a positive experience.

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to read someone having a positive experience.
No problem! I was really hesitant to buy one, and got my 2011 used because of it. When it was at a different dealer for a pre-purchase inspection - the large dealer in Lincoln - the master tech told me the only time they saw problems on the 3.5's were manufacturing defects or if they're only lightly used in town. I put around 90k of that 183k on that truck - that too was my experience, it needed to be driven. I absolutely loved that truck and if not for the rust issues we get in eastern Nebraska, I'd still have it. I didn't want to keep doing cab corners every 2 years.

Second gen they fixed the issues with the intercooler and direct injection. It's just a damn good truck and I slightly take back keeping it forever, at some point I might consider a newer one for power on board. It would be great for camping - but other than that, I wouldn't change anything. Including my column shifter like the good lord intended for a full-size truck.

One of my cousin has a 2016 3.5 with 380 000KM (232 121mi) on it and it's still going strong, no maintenance other than what the manual calls for. Brings it hunting and tows a lot with it. He's going to replace it with the same thing in a year or two.

I traded in my 2014 F-150 EcoBoost with over 153,000 miles. Never had a single issue with the EcoBoost engine in over 10 years of ownership. I replaced my 2014 with a new 2023 with the same 3.5L EcoBoost.

Back