2024 Ranger

C-Square

Well the new Ranger is here. And, among the people who took delivery of their vehicle lately, we seem to have a group of satisfied short-term owners. Case in point: the TFL team and Dave from All Terrain Nation. Dave is known to us "Pickuptrucktalk deckhands" as Tim's friend, Tim the captain that helps us navigate the intricate waters of the pickup truck industry. TFL and Tim also had a short term Ranger loaner with the 2.3 engine. The latter proved still punchy, in spite of the increased size and extra creature comfort items of the interior. That is good news. Eventually Ford will offer 3 engines total, when the 2.7 engine is made available later in the summer. Ford now offers a solid model line of pickup trucks: the Maverick, the Ranger and the F-Series.
For me, the only miss is the lack of a manual offering, but I am in a minority. Still, if the Bronco, built in the same factory, offers it, so should the Ranger in my view. For sure for most customers, the 10 speed auto will be enjoyable. Good job Ford and keep them truck coming.

A youtuber named flaberdoopin has been doing several videos on his Ranger Raptor. Pretty interesting. He really likes it so far, with over 1800 miles on it. A couple of minor problems, like the map lights didn't work, but that was fixed by the dealer. Wasn't plugged in properly. Sat in a Bronco and a Ranger Lariat. The Lariat seats were much more comfortable than the vinyl Bronco seats.

Well the new Ranger is here. And, among the people who took delivery of their vehicle lately, we seem to have a group of satisfied short-term owners. Case in point: the TFL team and Dave from All Terrain Nation. Dave is known to us "Pickuptrucktalk deckhands" as Tim's friend, Tim the captain that helps us navigate the intricate waters of the pickup truck industry. TFL and Tim also had a short term Ranger loaner with the 2.3 engine. The latter proved still punchy, in spite of the increased size and extra creature comfort items of the interior. That is good news. Eventually Ford will offer 3 engines total, when the 2.7 engine is made available later in the summer. Ford now offers a solid model line of pickup trucks: the Maverick, the Ranger and the F-Series.
For me, the only miss is the lack of a manual offering, but I am in a minority. Still, if the Bronco, built in the same factory, offers it, so should the Ranger in my view. For sure for most customers, the 10 speed auto will be enjoyable. Good job Ford and keep them truck coming.
I do wonder about the 2.7L and whether it is going to be worth the money. I still maintain the 2.3L is a damn good base engine.

I do wonder about the 2.7L and whether it is going to be worth the money. I still maintain the 2.3L is a damn good base engine.
$2,200 is a good chunk of change to dole out after everything else. A loaded up Lariat is over $54k at that point. You might as well go with the Raptor. The 2.3L is very solid and although the power numbers suggest it lags behind the competition, the performance videos on YT say otherwise. Ranger does not need the 2.7L, Ford is offering so owners can say they have a V6. The 2.7 is a monster, love the CGI block design.

$2,200 is a good chunk of change to dole out after everything else. A loaded up Lariat is over $54k at that point. You might as well go with the Raptor. The 2.3L is very solid and although the power numbers suggest it lags behind the competition, the performance videos on YT say otherwise. Ranger does not need the 2.7L, Ford is offering so owners can say they have a V6. The 2.7 is a monster, love the CGI block design.
I've often thought of TFL as complimentary to my videos in that I've been discussing how the 2.3L is just as quick as the Chevy Colorado and their drag race videos bear that out.

I've often thought of TFL as complimentary to my videos in that I've been discussing how the 2.3L is just as quick as the Chevy Colorado and their drag race videos bear that out.
What is the reason though? The 10-speed transmission? The 3.73 gears? Is the truck substantially lighter? Ford underrating the power numbers? GM has 430 lb-ft of torque and could not beat it. Seems odd. Something is not adding up.

What is the reason though? The 10-speed transmission? The 3.73 gears? Is the truck substantially lighter? Ford underrating the power numbers? GM has 430 lb-ft of torque and could not beat it. Seems odd. Something is not adding up.

I think the GM is quicker. The Ford had a much better start and as it being Andre's personal truck he's not as hard on it as he would be a loaner. I don't know if the Colorado is the same but in my Sierra, I don't know if it's too protect from damage but you can't power brake the truck, I mean you can, but it will slow your launch time substantially. It's better to just put it in 4A, turn off traction control and slam the pedal to the floor. If you try to power brake it there is noticeable lag between letting go of the brake and hitting the gas under pressure.

Somewhere on YouTube there's of video series of the 6.2 GM racing the 5.0 Ford and the 3.5 EcoBoost, they encounter a similar issue and it beats both fords handily when they figure out how to launch it. (I think the GM is even an AT4 with larger tires than stock)

Last edited:
Transmission setup mostly IMO. The rear-end gearing doesn't matter like it once did now that we have more transmission gears. Both trucks weigh about the same.

Transmission setup mostly IMO. The rear-end gearing doesn't matter like it once did now that we have more transmission gears. Both trucks weigh about the same.
Tim,

I wonder why GM does not use the 10-speed in the mid size trucks.

How much faster did the Ranger Raptor feel compared to the base Ranger? Are we going to see the 2.7 in the Ranger anytime soon?

Tim,

I wonder why GM does not use the 10-speed in the mid size trucks.

How much faster did the Ranger Raptor feel compared to the base Ranger? Are we going to see the 2.7 in the Ranger anytime soon?
Either engineering didn't think they needed it or they have left-over supply from an existing contract they want to use up first. GM uses a variety of transmissions throughout its lineup whereas Ford doesn't.

Ranger Raptor feels faster.

No idea on when the 2.7L debuts. Seems odd it keeps getting pushed back. My guess is it is a supplier issue getting the engines ramped up at the plant.

One thing to consider is the Colorado being used is a 2.7L turbo plus and not the 2.7L turbo plus HO (unless Andre finally got the engine updated).

Turbo+ : 310 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque
Turbo+ HO : 310 hp and 430 lb-ft of torque

I thought Andre said he did have it updated in one of the Colorado videos. They really got a lot of videos out of his truck. I wonder how they work the numbers on their personal vehicle purchases in videos. 🤔

$2,195 additional cost as expected. Not sure it's needed but it's a nice option to have.

Lariat 4x4
Hot Pepper Red
FX4
Advanced Towing Pkg
Spray in liner
Box side step
Hard tri fold cover

$55,410..... closing in on Raptor territory, maybe $2k less. Damn.

$2,195 additional cost as expected. Not sure it's needed but it's a nice option to have.

Lariat 4x4
Hot Pepper Red
FX4
Advanced Towing Pkg
Spray in liner
Box side step
Hard tri fold cover

$55,410..... closing in on Raptor territory, maybe $2k less. Damn.
And the same for a Taco Limited and well beyond a Denali or loaded AT4. Dave is right, the XLT makes the most sense. After that, the Lariat is not worth it compared to the Raptor. Doesn't a Raptor come with every luxury a Lariat comes with, and way better mechanicals?

Dave, any numbers released with the 2.7L? Like power and MPGs?

And the same for a Taco Limited and well beyond a Denali or loaded AT4. Dave is right, the XLT makes the most sense. After that, the Lariat is not worth it compared to the Raptor. Doesn't a Raptor come with every luxury a Lariat comes with, and way better mechanicals?

Dave, any numbers released with the 2.7L? Like power and MPGs?
Fuel Economy ratings for the 2.7 are 19/23/20 versus the 2.3 which are 20/24/22 according to www.fueleconomy.gov.

The engine in the Ranger is rated at 315 HP and 400 lb ft of torque when using premium fuel.

With that data, I'd take the 2.3L all day long. That's a proven motor that does everything well. I don't see much advantage in the 2.7L other than bragging rights. And if you want those, the Raptor is the obvious choice. Plus, for the 2.7L, those power numbers are with premium fuel only. Also, it's DI only where the 2.3L is DI/PI, correct?

Back