2024 Q3 Sales

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to talk about auto sales reports so I made a new section on this forum. Being admin, I guess, has its priviledges. :)

Link to the article: https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2024/10/2024-q3-truck-sales-tundra-gains-ram-big-drop-tacoma-slips/

Something else to consider. Here is the top of the press release from Stellantis:

• Third-quarter 2024 total U.S. sales decreased 20% year over year
  • Company’s total share grows in consecutive months during Q3, from 7.2% in July to 8% in September
  • During the company’s third quarter, inventory was reduced by 50K units (-11.6%)
  • Incentive offerings to continue through the end of the year across the U.S. brand portfolio, including Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT, Jeep® and Ram
  • Jeep Wrangler 4xe, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe, Dodge Hornet R/T and Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid take four of top-five spots for best-selling hybrids in the U.S. (source: S&P Global Mobility U.S. State Registrations database through July 31, 2024)
It seems like everyone is losing their poop over Stellantis sales. I'm not. I know. OMG Tim you idiot. Yeah, yeah...

Consider this though. The Ram 1500 hasn't been really updated since 2019. Jeep Wrangler got a really good competitor in the Ford Bronco a few years ago (I'm driving one this week and that Bronco just kicks the Wrangler's butt), Jeep killed the Renegade and Compass (its lower prices offerings), Ram missed the midsize boom and really missed the compact truck boom, Dodge is killing its most profitable car the Charger, and Fiat finally pulled the plug on the 500. Fiat has been a huge miss along with Maserati. Then, there's the UAW strike that I'm pretty certain is going to hit them. Not great news anyway you slice it.

I wanted to talk about auto sales reports so I made a new section on this forum. Being admin, I guess, has its priviledges. :)

Link to the article: https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2024/10/2024-q3-truck-sales-tundra-gains-ram-big-drop-tacoma-slips/

Something else to consider. Here is the top of the press release from Stellantis:

• Third-quarter 2024 total U.S. sales decreased 20% year over year
  • Company’s total share grows in consecutive months during Q3, from 7.2% in July to 8% in September
  • During the company’s third quarter, inventory was reduced by 50K units (-11.6%)
  • Incentive offerings to continue through the end of the year across the U.S. brand portfolio, including Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT, Jeep® and Ram
  • Jeep Wrangler 4xe, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe, Dodge Hornet R/T and Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid take four of top-five spots for best-selling hybrids in the U.S. (source: S&P Global Mobility U.S. State Registrations database through July 31, 2024)
It seems like everyone is losing their poop over Stellantis sales. I'm not. I know. OMG Tim you idiot. Yeah, yeah...

Consider this though. The Ram 1500 hasn't been really updated since 2019. Jeep Wrangler got a really good competitor in the Ford Bronco a few years ago (I'm driving one this week and that Bronco just kicks the Wrangler's butt), Jeep killed the Renegade and Compass (its lower prices offerings), Ram missed the midsize boom and really missed the compact truck boom, Dodge is killing its most profitable car the Charger, and Fiat finally pulled the plug on the 500. Fiat has been a huge miss along with Maserati. Then, there's the UAW strike that I'm pretty certain is going to hit them. Not great news anyway you slice it.
That's one way to say it.

The other way to say it is that Stellantis forced the price of Jeep and RAM so high they seriously outpaced their core customers ability to afford the product. They tried to go from a discount brand to a luxury priced brand overnight. At the same time, Ford released the Bronco that imo is better than the jeep in 95% of what most people want to do with them. RAM makes a GREAT interior... until very recently pushed by a 20 year old powertrain and a history of issues.

I think this right here has been my biggest insight into how people have viewed Stellantis vehicles. I hadn't seen it that way and now I'm starting to see this same sentiment over and over again.
My first two full-size trucks were Dodge Rams. 1999 & 2001. I was young and couldn't afford a Ford or a Chevy/GMC and actually liked the looks of the Dodge's at the time. I had major issues with both, transmissions and differentials, and went Toyota for the next 10+ years.

I've never owned a Jeep but the profile of a Jeep driver has changed a lot in recent years.

@Fightnfire said it best. Ram has been alienating their core customer for almost 5 years. They more than double their price on their most popular models up here in Canada, and they are rotting on the lot. We have dealers with unsold 2023's, and not just one or two, we are talking dozens of 2023's per dealer. The RAM Charger and REV need to be a commercial success for them to keep going.

As for Jeep, they seemed to be doing OK despite all the negative we see online.

It always seemed like Ram focused on their "high-end" models to carry them more than the others. They seemed to push "high end gadgets" before the others as well. In 2011, when I bought my last one, it had a heated steering wheel and vented seats in a Sport. Unheard of in the other brands at the time. They were the first with the big screens, coils or air. In other words, they pushed non-truck stuff because that was the market. GM was still using those cheesy plastic interiors and their steering wheel was still non-centered to the seat. Ford was just a basic work truck. So, GM reconfigured GMC from the work division to the luxury division and Ford created higher trims. And with a solid work truck lineage they quickly stifled Rams advantage.

A base Ford F150 XLT 4wd Crew is still $5k more than a base Ram 4wd Big Horn so I think their pricing is still lower.

Back