2024 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4

I don't disagree with you the prices are high, I read wanted the hybrid, Trailhunter, but that's not in my budget. I think Toyota has priced many people out of the hybrids. That might open opportunities for the other brands, if they can get anything on a lot! I was really interested in the Ranger, but that was supposed to be in lots in September, before the strikes, but it wasn't. Now GM is trying to catch up from the strike too. If either of those has trucks out on lots they might be making up some ground. If I could easily get a ZR2 or Raptor and could test drive one, I might not be getting a Toyota.

That's actually what irritated me about the TFL coverage they were looking at a ZR2 which had a sticker price of 55K and comparing it to the TRD Pro with an unknown sticker price they guessed at 60 to 62 which is possible because I think Toyota was going to aim for 64 to 65 based off of past pricing history but is now feeling the pressure to lower it.

The ZR2 is the top of off-roader in midsize trucks. The ranger raptor is the top for desert running Baja style off-roading. TRD Pro doesn't really fit into either of those categories and if it does it would be in second behind either of them.

Romans comment was which would you pick for 60K? And that is inaccurate journalism as the sticker price on the ZR2 is known.. comparing 55 to 63 or 64 on a less capable truck is silly. Everybody wants to talk about the seats on the TRD Pro but that's one of the worst gimmicks I've seen released in a looooong time.

Last edited:
That's actually what irritated me about the TFL coverage they were looking at a ZR2 which had a sticker price of 55K and comparing it to the TRD Pro with an unknown sticker price they guessed at 60 to 62 which is possible because I think Toyota was going to aim for 64 to 65 based off of past pricing history but is now feeling the pressure to lower it.

The ZR2 is the top of off-roader in midsize trucks. The ranger raptor is the top for desert running Baja style off-roading. TRD Pro doesn't really fit into either of those categories and if it does it would be in second behind either of them.

Romans comment was which would you pick for 60K? And that is inaccurate journalism as the sticker price on the ZR2 is known.. comparing 55 to 63 or 64 on a less capable truck is silly. Everybody wants to talk about the seats on the TRD Pro but that's one of the worst gimmicks I've seen released in a looking time.
Yeah I was on a walk with my dog today and was thinking how much will the Trialhunter actually cost.

Say you start at 55 with the Off-road and sway bar disconnect.

Add
1000 at least for wheels and tires
500 Heritage grill with light bar
2500 OME suspension and lift
1000 ARB bumper
1000 skid plates
800 rock rails
500 Rigid lights
1000 high air intake
500 air compressor
500 camp lights
1000 ARB roof rack and sport bar
3000+ hybrid

So like $68kish

And then taxes on all that extra too!

Yeah I was on a walk with my dog today and was thinking how much will the Trialhunter actually cost.

Add
1000 ARB bumper
1000 skid plates
800 rock rails
500 Rigid lights
1000 high air intake
500 air compressor
500 camp lights
3000+ hybrid

So like $68kish

That's where I keep landing in my head too and figure maybe they'll discount it to save face and it will sit around 65? That's just crazy and I think they're a little late to the game with the extremely overpriced off-road edition, that hit peak a year or two ago but I think is settling down fast as the car market comes back to reality.

Do I want one, hell yeah, I've waited for Toyota to put out a truck like the trailhawk for decades. But there's no way I could buy that truck when I can get a damn capable halftime for the same price. I didn't realize how much I love the interior space of a full size until I got one. Now I can't go back.

Add
1000 ARB bumper
1000 skid plates
800 rock rails
500 Rigid lights
1000 high air intake
500 air compressor
500 camp lights
3000+ hybrid

So like $68kish

Don't forget the 5% APR for 60-84 months (if you have excellent credit) auto loan.

I’ve been considering the Ranger & Tacoma…..waiting for inventory on both. Question…What is the difference in performance 2.4 vs 2.7, power, towing etc, is it worth the extra cost. I know Bronco shares chassis & engines…any difference?
BTW, I put this video out last weekend.

Also, I'll need to drive the Tacoma again. I felt like it was fine, but (BUT!) that was a first drive event. Those events are notorious for me changing my mind after a week with it.

I just drove the SR5 this morning. I'll have a video out on it tonight sometime, but I thought it had plenty of power. There is a lag before the turbo kicks in, but even before that it's better than my Tucson by quite a bit. When the turbo kicks in, it sound pretty good, and move plenty quick for me. Remember that I drove a Tesla for 2 years as well. It's no where near that, but it's all I need. I will note that I didn't press it to the floor either and it was just fine. The more important part to me was that it was responsive to the pedal. I often have a 2-3 second delay before the Tucson responds to my input so this was a massive upgrade to me.

Over/underpowered is a very subjective thing. It why it' so important to drive something before you buy. If I had not been happy with it, I'd have just gotten my deposit back and kept looking.

I will say that when you push it, the engine was very loud in the SR5. At hwy speeds it was quite, but if you step on it, you hear it. I'm not sure if the premiums will have better dampening or if Toyota is piping in a bunch of extra sound that they don't need to, but it was noticeable.

I just drove the SR5 this morning. I'll have a video out on it tonight sometime, but I thought it had plenty of power. There is a lag before the turbo kicks in, but even before that it's better than my Tucson by quite a bit. When the turbo kicks in, it sound pretty good, and move plenty quick for me. Remember that I drove a Tesla for 2 years as well. It's no where near that, but it's all I need. I will note that I didn't press it to the floor either and it was just fine. The more important part to me was that it was responsive to the pedal. I often have a 2-3 second delay before the Tucson responds to my input so this was a massive upgrade to me.

Over/underpowered is a very subjective thing. It why it' so important to drive something before you buy. If I had not been happy with it, I'd have just gotten my deposit back and kept looking.

I will say that when you push it, the engine was very loud in the SR5. At hwy speeds it was quite, but if you step on it, you hear it. I'm not sure if the premiums will have better dampening or if Toyota is piping in a bunch of extra sound that they don't need to, but it was noticeable.
One of these days I need to do a cabin noise test with similar grades of vehicles. I do think higher trims have more sound dampening, but that's just an opinion and not fact.

Yeah I totally forgot I have a sound level app on my phone and wanted to measure that, but it's hard when you are doing a quick test drive, by yourself, on a lunch break. LOL

I haven't driven either of them which you probably should do, but from specs/reviews alone I wouldn't get the tacoma with a straight 2.4, the hybrid should be out later on and it puts out significantly more power.

The 2.7 is a v6 isn't it? That would be my choice (the new/updated ranger) between the two options you listed.
The other truck you might want to consider is the Nissan Frontier. I really liked that vehicle as well. It was comfortable, had good power and features, and it'll be the least expensive of the bunch too. I drove a Pro4X a few months ago and really did like it overall. The main thing that moved me away from it was the infotainment system. While the screen is big, the 360 camera system wasn't very clear and it was hard to see what was on the screen with my polarized sunglasses. Nit-picky, but it would have driven me nuts.

The other truck you might want to consider is the Nissan Frontier. I really liked that vehicle as well. It was comfortable, had good power and features, and it'll be the least expensive of the bunch too. I drove a Pro4X a few months ago and really did like it overall. The main thing that moved me away from it was the infotainment system. While the screen is big, the 360 camera system wasn't very clear and it was hard to see what was on the screen with my polarized sunglasses. Nit-picky, but it would have driven me nuts.

The frontier has its place, but if I was buying a midsize I'd be getting a Canyon. It just fits best with what I like most in a truck.

Back