2024 Ford Maverick

It is funny that you brought this up as my wife and I were discussing this last night. If our budget is $40k, would you rather buy a Maverick Lariat AWD or a Ranger XL 4x4? I built out a Ranger XL 4x4 with tow pkg, locking rear diff, carpeted floor in Hot Pepper red for $39,960.

We both agreed that the Ranger is much more capable; payload, towing, off roading, etc. The interior is much nicer even in XL trim and you get bigger screens and newer tech than the current Maverick Lariat.

Now, the 2025 models may change some of this but that is where we stand now. A rumored Ranger PHEV could be a game changer…
Do you think that it would be worth waiting for the 2.7 ecoboost motor or get the 2.3 in the ranger?

Do you think that it would be worth waiting for the 2.7 ecoboost motor or get the 2.3 in the ranger?
The 2.7 is only available in XLT and Lariat trims on the Ranger. I have never driven the 2.7 but I do like that it has a CGI block. There were some issues with it in the Bronco and F-150 but hopefully they have been straightened out.

The up charge on the Bronco is nearly $2,200 so I expect it to be similar for the Ranger.

My 2019 Ranger with the 2.3 had enough power for me. I used it as more of a grocery getter, never towed with it. Other than several Home Depot runs and a few out of state trips for hockey tournaments, the bed was not used too often.

It was rated at 20 city and 24 highway but mine ranged from about 16 to 26 (hand calculated) depending on the type of driving. The dash calculator was always overstating the number.

All that being said, if money was no object I would spring for it simply because more power is better in my eyes. It does come at a significant cost however.

The 2.7 is only available in XLT and Lariat trims on the Ranger. I have never driven the 2.7 but I do like that it has a CGI block. There were some issues with it in the Bronco and F-150 but hopefully they have been straightened out.

The up charge on the Bronco is nearly $2,200 so I expect it to be similar for the Ranger.

My 2019 Ranger with the 2.3 had enough power for me. I used it as more of a grocery getter, never towed with it. Other than several Home Depot runs and a few out of state trips for hockey tournaments, the bed was not used too often.

It was rated at 20 city and 24 highway but mine ranged from about 16 to 26 (hand calculated) depending on the type of driving. The dash calculator was always overstating the number.

All that being said, if money was no object I would spring for it simply because more power is better in my eyes. It does come at a significant cost however.
Thanks for your opinion!!

Back