2021 3.0 Duramax Code P1098

MTGMCduramax

My truck has been throwing this code the last week, it comes and goes. I scanned it and know what the code states. Anyone have any direct experience with the coolant control valve issue? My GMC dealership is 2 hours away and I don’t want to drive all the way in to have them tell me what I already know. Does the entire unit need to be replaced? Is it just a sensor issue? Strange that the issue and check engine light comes and goes with no clear rhythm as to why. Love to hear from anyone that’s had this issue and how you ultimately resolved it.

My truck has been throwing this code the last week, it comes and goes. I scanned it and know what the code states. Anyone have any direct experience with the coolant control valve issue? My GMC dealership is 2 hours away and I don’t want to drive all the way in to have them tell me what I already know. Does the entire unit need to be replaced? Is it just a sensor issue? Strange that the issue and check engine light comes and goes with no clear rhythm as to why. Love to hear from anyone that’s had this issue and how you ultimately resolved it.
No direct experience with this code but a number of LM2 owners have this issue with a side symptom of the cooling fans running at full speed. From what I’ve read most have had the valve replaced. Is yours an LM2? Oops yours is a 2021 so it must be an LM2.

Yes mine is an LM2. Random temp spikes and then dropping, random reduced power warnings and the high speed fan has happened a few times.

Yes mine is an LM2. Random temp spikes and then dropping, random reduced power warnings and the high speed fan has happened a few times.
Keep an eye on your coolant temperature like you have been. From what I’ve read it’s probably the coolant valve needs replacing and not the sensor. Has the trouble code had any effect on your REGENS?

No GM parts dealer in the west has the part… Spent the afternoon talking to GM dealers and it’s the same answer, it’s one of the parts no one has due to the strike last year causing disruptions. All of them have the same answer, they have no date or info on when they’ll get them in stock. Rough. Taking the dog for a walk for some peace.

No GM parts dealer in the west has the part… Spent the afternoon talking to GM dealers and it’s the same answer, it’s one of the parts no one has due to the strike last year causing disruptions. All of them have the same answer, they have no date or info on when they’ll get them in stock. Rough. Taking the dog for a walk for some peace.
Well that stinks. 😾 The LM2 uses a three way coolant valve that sends coolant to the head, block, and transmission. In the LZ0 GM changed it to a two-way valve. One possible alternative, there is a company known as PPE that sells aftermarket parts for the LM2 and LZ0. They make a replacement transmission coolant valve that provides better flowTim installed one of these on his High Country LZ0 and did a video of it. I don’t know if they make a replacement 3 way coolant valve but you might give them a call. Please keep us posted.

Sucks you can't get the part. The strike had such a large impact and will continue to do so along with supply chain shortages.

Hey, did you ever get this resolved? Let us know.

Back