1 year ownership

C-Square

On March 4 2024, I will have owned a 2022 Gladiator Rubicon for a year. So far, I am satisfied. I particularly enjoy the manual transmission. I am also impressed by the build quality of the interior and its original and colorful design. It is on the slow side of acceleration, but it is ok. The mileage is 17 to 18 mpg of mixed type of roads on a 25 miles commute. I find the soft suspension masks the two live axles very well and the ride is comfortable. I enjoy the rich personality of the vehicle.

On March 4 2024, I will have owned a 2022 Gladiator Rubicon for a year. So far, I am satisfied. I particularly enjoy the manual transmission. I am also impressed by the build quality of the interior and its original and colorful design. It is on the slow side of acceleration, but it is ok. The mileage is 17 to 18 mpg of mixed type of roads on a 25 miles commute. I find the soft suspension masks the two live axles very well and the ride is comfortable. I enjoy the rich personality of the vehicle.
What were your buying reasons behind getting the Gladiator? Just curious.

Thanks for the thoughtful review. In looking the Gladiator in the past year, I combined my experience renting a Wrangler 4xe for surprise visit (better than expected handling and interior room, loud cabin noise and just okay seats) and then comparing that trim level with a comparable Gladiatior...Ouch on the price.

Speaking of rental, when I lucked out and got the Ram Laramie to drive for a business trip, there was a Gladiator there to look at in the same lane.
Given family commitments, access to the rear seats is very important and the Gladiator fell short (lack of "Foot Planting" space, high step up).
Yeah, running boards would help in the step up (have them on my 900s) but was my shoe shows, it is a narrow opening.

IMG_4099.jpgIMG_4100.jpg

What were your buying reasons behind getting the Gladiator? Just curious.
I just had a catastrophic breakdown on the highway with my 2021 Silverado RST 6.2. After the engine swap (covered by GM), I no longer trusted the truck 100%. I was looking for 1) reliable engine 2) manual transmission. The full size are all automatic now, so I looked at midsize, and that means Tacoma and Gladiator. I know many buyers do not think Jeep and reliable. I do. The Pentastar engine is proven. The Tacoma at the time had rear drum brakes, which worries me with a heavier vehicle like a truck. That left me with the Gladiator. One more thing: my passengers enjoyed the Silverado's rear leg room and I knew the Gladiator has enough leg room in the back. That was also on my mind.

I just had a catastrophic breakdown on the highway with my 2021 Silverado RST 6.2. After the engine swap (covered by GM), I no longer trusted the truck 100%. I was looking for 1) reliable engine 2) manual transmission. The full size are all automatic now, so I looked at midsize, and that means Tacoma and Gladiator. I know many buyers do not think Jeep and reliable. I do. The Pentastar engine is proven. The Tacoma at the time had rear drum brakes, which worries me with a heavier vehicle like a truck. That left me with the Gladiator. One more thing: my passengers enjoyed the Silverado's rear leg room and I knew the Gladiator has enough leg room in the back. That was also on my mind.

Coming down from a 420 hp v8 I can imagine 285 feels rather slow lol. But I agree with you, that pentastar is a good motor and won many "wards best 10" several years (even in a row). One weakspot seems to the oil filter mount, seems they used a plastic housing with a bunch of seals and it tends to age quickly and start to crack, dorman builds a replacement out of aluminum which some people like much better.

Are you going to build out the wheels at all? These look really good once the wheel well fills out with some nice beefy tires!

Thanks for the input; though the Gladiator was not chosen in my case, glad you are happy with it. Just for curiosity, I did take a look at the dimensions between the '21 RST, the Gladiator and my eventual selection, a 2012 Avalanche.

In rear leg room, the Silverado has 43.4 inches, the Gladiator has 38.3" and the 'Lanche has 39.1...Again, if you and your pax are happy, it's all that matters.

What did surprise me was the curb weights. Wasn't looking for it, just happened to be listed below. The heaviest Silverado was listed at
5,390 lbs (no trim level given) and the Gladiator's heaviest was listed (again, no trim level given) was almost as heavy as the Silvy, 5,352 Lbs. I knew the Avalanche LTZ 4x4 was heavy; if I put a 30lb bag of dog food in it, she is 6,000lbs!

When I test drove the Gladiator I also was pretty impressed with the on-road feel/drivability as well. Those drum brakes on the Taco were not my favorite either. I was only able to test drive a Willys and I could not for the life of me find a seat position that was comfortable. It could be that the Rubicon is much better in that area and I know for 24 they have power seats which may also help, but that and cabin noise were to areas where I was less impressed by the Jeep and both subjective areas. Otherwise, it's definitely a solid midsized pickup!

Super glad you are really enjoying the vehicle you chose.

When I test drove the Gladiator I also was pretty impressed with the on-road feel/drivability as well. Those drum brakes on the Taco were not my favorite either. I was only able to test drive a Willys and I could not for the life of me find a seat position that was comfortable. It could be that the Rubicon is much better in that area and I know for 24 they have power seats which may also help, but that and cabin noise were to areas where I was less impressed by the Jeep and both subjective areas. Otherwise, it's definitely a solid midsized pickup!

Super glad you are really enjoying the vehicle you chose.
Thank you for your input. I am fine with the seats, but am in no way a frame of reference. I am 5'6", and I can see how taller people might not be as comfortable.

Coming down from a 420 hp v8 I can imagine 285 feels rather slow lol. But I agree with you, that pentastar is a good motor and won many "wards best 10" several years (even in a row). One weakspot seems to the oil filter mount, seems they used a plastic housing with a bunch of seals and it tends to age quickly and start to crack, dorman builds a replacement out of aluminum which some people like much better.

Are you going to build out the wheels at all? These look really good once the wheel well fills out with some nice beefy tires!
When I pull into the driveway on hot days, I open the hood to help with cooling and I am hoping that it might relieve the plastic parts like the one you mention. One thing about the Pentastar: it cooks. I might build up the truck over time, especially if I start off-roading more and more. Apparently, 35"s fit with no lift. The first upgrade will be LED lights front and back. After driving an Audi and the Silverado, I got used to those.
Thank you for your post.

Thanks for the input; though the Gladiator was not chosen in my case, glad you are happy with it. Just for curiosity, I did take a look at the dimensions between the '21 RST, the Gladiator and my eventual selection, a 2012 Avalanche.

In rear leg room, the Silverado has 43.4 inches, the Gladiator has 38.3" and the 'Lanche has 39.1...Again, if you and your pax are happy, it's all that matters.

What did surprise me was the curb weights. Wasn't looking for it, just happened to be listed below. The heaviest Silverado was listed at
5,390 lbs (no trim level given) and the Gladiator's heaviest was listed (again, no trim level given) was almost as heavy as the Silvy, 5,352 Lbs. I knew the Avalanche LTZ 4x4 was heavy; if I put a 30lb bag of dog food in it, she is 6,000lbs!
You are absolutely right about the weight. Surprised me too. The Gladiator Rubicon is 900 lbs heavier than the Silverado RST: 6200 vs 5300. All those off-road goodies add up quickly. The Silverado would average 19 mpg on my commute, the Gladiator averages 18 mpg.

When I pull into the driveway on hot days, I open the hood to help with cooling and I am hoping that it might relieve the plastic parts like the one you mention. One thing about the Pentastar: it cooks. I might build up the truck over time, especially if I start off-roading more and more. Apparently, 35"s fit with no lift. The first upgrade will be LED lights front and back. After driving an Audi and the Silverado, I got used to those.
Thank you for your post.

A number of us guys with the hemi are swapping in 180F thermostats. Really helps keep temperatures down. Ram/FCA likes to run their engines hots for "fuel efficiency" but less heat is better as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe that's an option for you as well? Either that or aftermarket oil cooler?

A number of us guys with the hemi are swapping in 180F thermostats. Really helps keep temperatures down. Ram/FCA likes to run their engines hots for "fuel efficiency" but less heat is better as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe that's an option for you as well? Either that or aftermarket oil cooler?
I will look into this. Thank you. I want to keep an eye on the plastic components.

The Gladiators rear legroom is actually very good for a mid size truck
To quote PUTT's article:

Chevy Colorado

34.7"
Ford Ranger34.6"
GMC Canyon34.7"
Jeep Gladiator38.3"
Nissan Frontier33.2"
Toyota Tacoma32.6"

In fact if I was to buy another mid size truck the Gladiator is probably the front runner because of the rear seat space.

The Gladiators rear legroom is actually very good for a mid size truck
To quote PUTT's article:

Chevy Colorado

34.7"
Ford Ranger34.6"
GMC Canyon34.7"
Jeep Gladiator38.3"
Nissan Frontier33.2"
Toyota Tacoma32.6"

In fact if I was to buy another mid size truck the Gladiator is probably the front runner because of the rear seat space.

If you're down to measuring rear seat legroom as the deciding factor why not get a full size?

If you're down to measuring rear seat legroom as the deciding factor why not get a full size?
I have a full size now. But a lot of people may prefer the lower cost and better maneuverability of a mid size. My older Colorado was significantly more maneuverable in tight parking spots, not to mention a mid size could fit in many home garages that a full size can't being 15 - 20 inches shorter.

Last edited:
Back