1 truck the next 10 years?

It is interesting to me you stated this. I've talked with so many engineers and brands who tell me nobody cares about fuel economy in a 2500. I think it is BS, but they say it is not a priority. So...

I'm sure the overall market prefers more and more power yes. But I also know a lot of RV'ers who just want something to pull 10 to 15k with fuel efficiency and reliability up front and center. A lot of guys are going to gassers to do this but the fuel efficiency is still lacking vs something a smaller diesel could do. The Ford 7.3 can do this comfortably, but getting 30 percent worse MPG and it's not as stress free with the constant higher revving though I've gotten used to that in my 5.7.

I'd love a 4L to 5L v8 diesel. But more than likely they'd never get their money back from it. Far too many people getting sucked into stoplight wars and bragging rights vs having a useful truck that doesn't cost as much to run.

Closest we have is the 3.0 I6 duramax which is too small for a 2500 and I'd never trust it for that, and then we have the 6.7 cummins which is detuned in the 2500 but still making more power than needed for 15k towing and I'd rather see less power and more mpg/reliability but that's just me I guess.

This is probably something akin to a manual transmission or a long box; still some demand for it, but not going to happen despite that.

If I could afford the upkeep (tires, brakes, shocks, fuel...) It's buy this.

sddefault.jpg

Think that body style was the 5.9, and yes that was the best cummins put out. Everything was mechanical, no def/emissions, just a strong beast that out pulled everything else with excellent MPG.

Of course that era of dodge wasn't exactly ... high quality. They're a far different brand at this point, thankfully.

Last edited:
I'm sure the overall market prefers more and more power yes. But I also know a lot of RV'ers who just want something to pull 10 to 15k with fuel efficiency and reliability up front and center. A lot of guys are going to gassers to do this but the fuel efficiency is still lacking vs something a smaller diesel could do. The Ford 7.3 can do this comfortably, but getting 30 percent worse MPG and it's not as stress free with the constant higher revving though I've gotten used to that in my 5.7.

I'd love a 4L to 5L v8 diesel. But more than likely they'd never get their money back from it. Far too many people getting sucked into stoplight wars and bragging rights vs having a useful truck that doesn't cost as much to run.

Closest we have is the 3.0 I6 duramax which is too small for a 2500 and I'd never trust it for that, and then we have the 6.7 cummins which is detuned in the 2500 but still making more power than needed for 15k towing and I'd rather see less power and more mpg/reliability but that's just me I guess.

This is probably something akin to a manual transmission or a long box; still some demand for it, but not going to happen despite that.
The Titan XD was supposed to fill this void, but it just missed the mark.

The Titan XD was supposed to fill this void, but it just missed the mark.

The titan was a bit off though, not a true 3/4 ton and not a true 1/2 ton, and that cummins was by all accounts a pretty terrible engine as well. It was also nissan who did not have the marketshare to make something that unique and make it pay.

I'm just looking for a true 3/4 ton with a diesel engine that slots between the biggest existing gasser and the smallest existing diesel, focused on MPG.

The titan was a bit off though, not a true 3/4 ton and not a true 1/2 ton, and that cummins was by all accounts a pretty terrible engine as well. It was also nissan who did not have the marketshare to make something that unique and make it pay.

I'm just looking for a true 3/4 ton with a diesel engine that slots between the biggest existing gasser and the smallest existing diesel, focused on MPG.
What would that MPG look like to you? I ask because I was curious and poked around the F250 XL base diesel, crew cab 4WD with the camper pkg, 5th wheel prep and XL off road pack. The total is $65. High 50's Low 60's minus the options. I saw online that with a tune these can get up to high 20's mpg hwy and low 20's city for a combined 23-24. That seems pretty decent?

I don't know how the older diesels stacked up

What would that MPG look like to you? I ask because I was curious and poked around the F250 XL base diesel, crew cab 4WD with the camper pkg, 5th wheel prep and XL off road pack. The total is $65. High 50's Low 60's minus the options. I saw online that with a tune these can get up to high 20's mpg hwy and low 20's city for a combined 23-24. That seems pretty decent?

I don't know how the older diesels stacked up

Powerstroke still has emissions issues and whatever MPG they get now, I would think they should be able to get better with a smaller engine which is designed for different/smaller work loads similar to how a smaller gas engine usually gets better MPG than a larger one as long as it's not being driven to max power all the time (so yes there comes a point where a small engine being driven way too hard for its load is probably less efficient than a slightly larger one working less hard).

Tuning is also a different ball game and I don't want to do anything like that for several reasons, the first being warranty but generally stock stuff seems to live longer (deleting, different story, but completely illegal where I live and definitely not doing that either)

Alright everyone, this ought to be fun and I’m sure controversial. IF you had to buy one truck or SUV for the next 10 years, (No trading, No selling), what would it be? No wrong answers here, it’s a personal choice. New or used. It might be the truck you have right now. Tell us what, tell us why, tell us what engine, tranny, camper shell, heated seats etc. All right Truck people have at it…
I sold my F150 ecoboost a while back and bought a 2018 Tundra used, but only had 2600 miles on it. It's a double cab, 4x4 with the 5.7. I plan on keeping it forever. I also have a 2006 Silverado 2500 4x4 with the 6.0 I bought new that I also plan to keep forever. I'm looking for an older Tahoe/Yukon or maybe Suburban from the late 90's to early 2000's that I also want to keep forever. I'm not much interested in the new vehicles. They all seem to be built with more of the planned obsolescence mindset. I think everything is that way now though. I just had a 2 yr old refrigerator quit that cost $2k when new.

Back