1 truck the next 10 years?

Rofin

Alright everyone, this ought to be fun and I’m sure controversial. IF you had to buy one truck or SUV for the next 10 years, (No trading, No selling), what would it be? No wrong answers here, it’s a personal choice. New or used. It might be the truck you have right now. Tell us what, tell us why, tell us what engine, tranny, camper shell, heated seats etc. All right Truck people have at it…

Alright everyone, this ought to be fun and I’m sure controversial. IF you had to buy one truck or SUV for the next 10 years, (No trading, No selling), what would it be? No wrong answers here, it’s a personal choice. New or used. It might be the truck you have right now. Tell us what, tell us why, tell us what engine, tranny, camper shell, heated seats etc. All right Truck people have at it…
I say it really depends of where you are in life. Starting out a family, probably a full size, retiring maybe a heavy duty for camping or a mid size to just put around town. That being said here are mine:

Compact: Ford Maverick, say what you will about Ford QC, it's still better than Hyundai.
Mid-size: Nissan Frontier or Honda Ridgeline depending if you want a frame or not.
Full-size: Nissan Titan non XD.
Heavy-duty: GMC/Chevrolet for diesel and Ford for gas.

I don’t own a truck… yet. But, I watch Tim’s videos and come to this forum to learn and hopefully narrow down the answer to that very question. For as much money as trucks cost, I’d say a second gen Tundra crewman limited, but I’m intrigued by Titans, too. I think 80% of the time, a midsize would be easier to live with, but I do envision a boat and long road-trips about 20% of the time where a big solid ride would be better. I’m wondering if a Ranger Lariat with a 2.7 might split the difference well…or even a Rivian If prices come down and reliability goes up.

Bought a 1500 AT4 3.0L in January. My plan is that it’s mine for the next 10 years. Not towing at present but may grab a small overland camper when I retire in a few years. I doubt that I’ll go over 6K so the half ton will be enough.

Same one as now but with the refreshed interior.

Well since I just bought the Tacoma 3 weeks ago, I'll have to go with that! If money were no object I'd get the Trialhunter in place of the Off-road

This is what I had 2004.5 2500 duramax LS owned for almost 17years only replaced front wheel bearings both side and set of tires. Sold with 67k and regret it almost every day! My new truck is nice but I don’t think it’ll be as problem free as my old one! Cloth seats no heat needed and vinyl floors which I wish was easier to get! Right one is 2022 duramax work truck loaded up, got pleather seats and vinyl floors!😎

Attachments

• IMG_4150.jpeg
    IMG_4150.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5720.jpeg
    IMG_5720.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
F-150 Raptor - not the "R". Had one for 2 years, and traded it for an Explorer ST when we had to downsize. If I can't fit the Raptor in my life again, I'll hold onto this Explorer ST for 10 years happily. I believe Ford knocked it out of the park with this vehicle. Doesn't get enough respect. And the Raptor and the Explorer are the first Fords I've had since my old Taurus back in the mid 90's. Lots of Chevys and Subies and Dodges and Jeeps in between.

2500 GMC AT4X or 2500 GMC Denali Ultimate
Interesting choice because those vehicles are polar opposites. The AT4X, meant for off road and overlanding with the on-road ride quality of a dump truck. And the Denali Ultimate, a luxury pavement pounder which will struggle to absorb as much a speed bump with its 22" bling wheels and low profile tires.

Last edited:
Those vehicles are polar opposites. The AT4X is for off road and overlanding, the Denali Ultimate is for mall crawling and will struggle to absorb as much a pebble with it's 22 inch low profile bling wheels. What that tells me is you just want a vehicle for show?

Changing wheels and or tires is one of the first things I would do to a truck, see my current. Though I did wait til 30k. I would have to think about which one I would want for 10 years, leaning AT4X but the Denali Ultimate is pretty amazing.

Second, find something better to do maybe?

For an SUV I think you can’t go wrong with 4Runner or Land Cruiser based products, like FJ cruisers or LX/GX for instance. They’re just tough as hell and last a long time at the expense at atrocious gas mileage (personally own 2017 4Runner). For a truck I think I’d actually lean towards the 2019+ Ford Ranger. I just love those things. They’re more than capable for truck things while at the same time are extremely capable daily drivers without going too much into compact maverick territory. I think all of them would last.

BUT here’s a fun thought. What will the Truck/SUV market even look like in 2034? Could we have predicted the variety of options / features available to us on the current market way back in 2014? With how fast tech innovates, presenting new features to consumers every year, who knows what it’ll even be like.

The truck I really want doesn't exist unfortunately.

Looking for a 3/4 ton diesel with 2800 lbs of payload to put out about 400 hp and 600 to 650 lb/ft of torque with an emphasis on fuel efficiency and drama free emissions/reliability. 8 or 10 gears is fine.

Basic trim, something that resembles a work truck in terms of features and pricing, but actually looks like a nice truck (so chrome or painted bumpers, mirror caps, door handles etc).

Don't care what brand it is because you're just swapping the letters on the front, they're all the same when you get past the brand loyalty and a specific feature that might speak closer to you vs other ones.

If I could afford the upkeep (tires, brakes, shocks, fuel...) It's buy this.

sddefault.jpg

Back