Who says pickups have gotten bigger?

I know it's two different classes of trucks but it's still funny to see.

View attachment 112
4E629B63-4F9D-407C-BED3-AA8D3639A4F2_L0_001-2.JPG
Sorry for the small image, largest that will upload. Took this almost eight years ago when the 2nd Gen Canyon (GMT 31XX) was relatively new and it was parked next to an OBS GMT 400 with the same aspect (facing out). Not as wide for sure, but it's height and smaller field of front view (windshield size/hood height) are readily apparent. As a bonus, a last gen before discontinuation Ranger is next to the Canyon, but parked inward unfortunately.

Good Topic, especially after the exchange on another thread (Tim's new Ram) about new truck front visibility. Tim had some great comments there about that issue.

View attachment 114
Sorry for the small image, largest that will upload. Took this almost eight years ago when the 2nd Gen Canyon (GMT 31XX) was relatively new and it was parked next to an OBS GMT 400 with the same aspect (facing out). Not as wide for sure, but it's height and smaller field of front view (windshield size/hood height) are readily apparent. As a bonus, a last gen before discontinuation Ranger is next to the Canyon, but parked inward unfortunately.

Good Topic, especially after the exchange on another thread (Tim's new Ram) about new truck front visibility. Tim had some great comments there about that issue.
Too bad you didn't include that Ranger to left as that was probably the smallest at the time for even more comparison.

I just notice the payload numbers now. I have a 2011 Ram 1500 and only 1200#s of payload. Some of these mid-sizes are 1500 +! The height of a modern mid-size is basically the same as mine, but length/width is less which helps to make it easier to drive and park in a garage.

Too bad you didn't include that Ranger to left as that was probably the smallest at the time for even more comparison.

I just notice the payload numbers now. I have a 2011 Ram 1500 and only 1200#s of payload. Some of these mid-sizes are 1500 +! The height of a modern mid-size is basically the same as mine, but length/width is less which helps to make it easier to drive and park in a garage.
(IIRC) Was off to a meeting in another building with my co-worker (His Hyundai is the car on the right) and only had a chance to take the one shot.

Last edited:
IMG_4882.jpg

Round Two, from today, So now we have a GMT 900 (Suburban) next to another red (what is it with red Canyon's where I work?) GMT 31XX-2 Canyon AT4, Yes, the Canyon is lifted 2" standard and in keeping with the styling trend brought on by German cars responding to EU pedestrian regulations (compare an '11 E-class to a '15) and the need for thermal management, the grille is again a upright and large, with a narrow chin intake.

Yes, its a Suburban, but an adjacent GMT 900 Silverado offered no real front hood height increase, I rough measured...And my state calls an Avalanche a truck, and it's the exact same in front profileas the 'burb. Again, the older truck is wider with more glass, but as Tim alluded to in another thread, non-motor journalists look at this and see an issue. Doesn't help the front emballishment on the Canyon draws the eyes to it's widest areas.

Tim and a lot of people bring good points on the front visibility of new trucks. It's one of the reason I went with the Ranger since the hood is really pointed downwards and lets you see a lot more than the competition.

Back