Wagoneer L 3.0L turbo, family road trip thoughts.

profrmr650

I’m a little late posting this, sorry been pretty busy since our spring break trip.

In November 2023 we bought a 2024 Wagoneer L series 1 3.0L turbo with a little over 9000 miles on the ticker. By now we are closing in on 20k miles. It’s a base package, which in the Wagoneer you still get a nice leather interior, big screen, stuff like that. Only option is a tow package which will bump the towing up to around 10, 000 pounds.

For this trip we had 7 passengers (4 adults, 3 kids ages 10 and under). We drove from the upper Midwest to North Carolina and back. Totaled about 2,500 miles round trip.

My thoughts…

First the SUV is a road trip machine. Everyone had an amazing amount of room and was extremely comfortable the entire trip. Even the kids sitting three across in the third row had so much room that they rarely got into fights or complained. They also really appreciated the large windows and visibility of the third row. Truthfully, the third row is almost a nicer place to be than the second row, which is pretty fantastic in its own right. Only complaint about the second row is that it could use some more cup holders. Keep in mind we have an 8 passenger vehicle so the second row is a bench seat. But the nice part is the middle seat folds down and you have a nice place to set things.
Front row comfort is also very good. Everything is easy to reach and control, and the thing drives amazing. I don’t have lane keep, and really didn’t feel like I needed it. Would have liked adaptive cruise, but that is a minor inconvenience. My only real complaint about the controls is that I wish the turn signal lever and wiper controls had some back lighting to them. Pretty minor.
Rear storage is also impressive. We had a large three wheeled jogging stroller as well as enough space for a weeks worth of luggage for 7 people. Nice!
As I said before it drove very nice. It’s probably the smoothest and quietest vehicle we have been in.

Now onto the 3.0L power plant. I miss the V8 rumble. No getting around that. This engine is SO smooth and SO quiet that you almost feel disconnected as a driver. However, for a road tripper, it’s pretty amazing. This is the standard output 3L but it’s plenty powerful for a huge SUV (zero to 60 in a tick over 6 seconds). I had zero power issues driving over the Smokey mountains, even though we were packed to the brim. Best milage was 23 mpg, and most tanks were over 20. Last day we had strong head winds and milage dropped a lot down to 17. She is thirsty in the wind. Power delivery is very smooth at cruising speeds, but can be a little harsh for slow speed stop and go Main Street type of driving.

Zero problems on the trip, however there is an * that I will be sharing about in a separate post, probably in general discussions.

Overall we couldn’t be happier with the Wagoneer L. Well, almost. I mean it is HUGE which while great for road trips is not exactly wonderful in tight parking lots or narrow parallel street parking. But that’s any supersizer.

I’m a little late posting this, sorry been pretty busy since our spring break trip.

In November 2023 we bought a 2024 Wagoneer L series 1 3.0L turbo with a little over 9000 miles on the ticker. By now we are closing in on 20k miles. It’s a base package, which in the Wagoneer you still get a nice leather interior, big screen, stuff like that. Only option is a tow package which will bump the towing up to around 10, 000 pounds.

For this trip we had 7 passengers (4 adults, 3 kids ages 10 and under). We drove from the upper Midwest to North Carolina and back. Totaled about 2,500 miles round trip.

My thoughts…

First the SUV is a road trip machine. Everyone had an amazing amount of room and was extremely comfortable the entire trip. Even the kids sitting three across in the third row had so much room that they rarely got into fights or complained. They also really appreciated the large windows and visibility of the third row. Truthfully, the third row is almost a nicer place to be than the second row, which is pretty fantastic in its own right. Only complaint about the second row is that it could use some more cup holders. Keep in mind we have an 8 passenger vehicle so the second row is a bench seat. But the nice part is the middle seat folds down and you have a nice place to set things.
Front row comfort is also very good. Everything is easy to reach and control, and the thing drives amazing. I don’t have lane keep, and really didn’t feel like I needed it. Would have liked adaptive cruise, but that is a minor inconvenience. My only real complaint about the controls is that I wish the turn signal lever and wiper controls had some back lighting to them. Pretty minor.
Rear storage is also impressive. We had a large three wheeled jogging stroller as well as enough space for a weeks worth of luggage for 7 people. Nice!
As I said before it drove very nice. It’s probably the smoothest and quietest vehicle we have been in.

Now onto the 3.0L power plant. I miss the V8 rumble. No getting around that. This engine is SO smooth and SO quiet that you almost feel disconnected as a driver. However, for a road tripper, it’s pretty amazing. This is the standard output 3L but it’s plenty powerful for a huge SUV (zero to 60 in a tick over 6 seconds). I had zero power issues driving over the Smokey mountains, even though we were packed to the brim. Best milage was 23 mpg, and most tanks were over 20. Last day we had strong head winds and milage dropped a lot down to 17. She is thirsty in the wind. Power delivery is very smooth at cruising speeds, but can be a little harsh for slow speed stop and go Main Street type of driving.

Zero problems on the trip, however there is an * that I will be sharing about in a separate post, probably in general discussions.

Overall we couldn’t be happier with the Wagoneer L. Well, almost. I mean it is HUGE which while great for road trips is not exactly wonderful in tight parking lots or narrow parallel street parking. But that’s any supersizer.
Hell, I'm way more impressed you took 7 passengers on a 2,500 mile road trip and SURVIVED TO TELL THE TALE!

Good write up, I would love to see a comparison of the Wagoneer, Suburban, Yukon XL and Expedition in a similar format. In 2022 we had to replace our large SUV which was totaled and went with the Expedition. We both initially wanted the Yukon XL but there were a few minor issues that bothered us and were better in the Expedition. 3rd row visibility was a big one. We are a family of 6 with the kids ages at the time of writing this 12, 13, 15 and almost 16.

My thoughts…

Nice write up!

It's too bad FCA didn't release a cheap truck based SUV. Everything in this class costs twice as much as needs to and has way too many features. Some guys just want to haul their family + RV and kids will wreck anything they get into so having a bunch of kids in a $80k to $120k is something that I can't get past.

I didn't expect to hear anything different with regards to the hurricane. Everyone loves it (now) when its new and working as designed. That's never the issue for me though. I'm just waiting the repair stories to surface. They will come, as they do on every other engine, the only question is frequency and magnitude and those are the things that matter more to me than the 0 to 60 reports. Do I really need to save 1 second hitting 60 over my hemi the one or two times I do that every few months?

I also love full-size SUVs but the cost just makes a P/U the better choice unless you need the max passenger room. I just wish they would make a shorter and more affordable version. I would gladly drive a 2-door Tahoe or Yukon and pay $50-60K. I'd have a decent sized daily driver that could tow everything I need. Yeah, yeah, I know, just not enough market for it.....

Back