VEHICLE TOOLS FROM A BYGONE ERA

NMTRUCKER

When I was a very poor college student back in the early ‘70’s I made some extra cash (beer money mostly) by tuning fellow students old cars. So I came across a couple of vintage tools that I used that some of you might recognize. The photo shows my 50 year old dwell/tach meter, still works used to set the point gap. The tool on the right was used for loosening the distributor hold down bolt for Chevy big block motors. The cool thing about the Chevy big block distributors was that the cap had a metal window that you could slide open then use an Allen wrench to fine tune the point gap. Relics from the past like me.

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 11
When I was a very poor college student back in the early ‘70’s I made some extra cash (beer money mostly) by tuning fellow students old cars. So I came across a couple of vintage tools that I used that some of you might recognize. The photo shows my 50 year old dwell/tach meter, still works used to set the point gap. The tool on the right was used for loosening the distributor hold down bolt for Chevy big block motors. The cool thing about the Chevy big block distributors was that the cap had a metal window that you could slide open then use an Allen wrench to fine tune the point gap. Relics from the past like me.

That is cool!

Oh man that brings back memories. When working on a car didn't require a laptop.
Exactly. I got lucky with my mechanic for Swede. He's an old muscle car guy and builds old cars for fun. I couldn't really find anyone else to work on it.

Back