Toyota Land Cruiser

Fightnfire

Listening to Tim and Dave talk about the Land Cruiser peaked my interest mainly because their opinions were so wildly different than mine on a few points.

Highlights:
They both liked the previous $100k model better
Tim doesn't like the design change towards square looking vehicles, not his cup of tea
Is it in direct competition with 4Runner?

The current starting price for a Land Cruiser is $55,950 on the 1958 base, keep in mind on that trim which is 1 of 3 available there are NO optional packages available. One powertrain, one interior you basically get 3 colors to choose from, that's it. The base 1958 gives you the Hybrid powertrain that is coming to tacoma soon. I'm surprised people aren't trying to drive them to get a feel for what the hybrid Tacoma will drive like.

The current 4Runner starts at $40,705. The TRD Pro starts at $55,170 so Land Cruiser is positioned just above the TRD Pro price wise. It wouldn't surprise me to see them shorten up the 4Runner a couple of inches.

I have to give Tommy from TFL some props here, he's been saying for MONTHS that he thinks the 4Runner is going to slot in just below Land Cruiser and be a Toyota Tacoma SUV. Meaning the new 4Runner will mimick everything the Tacoma offers. The new Tacoma starts at $31,500. I think the starting 4Runner is going to come down a touch in price from $40k and will top out around the entry price of a base Land Cruiser. So, 2025 will look like this for Toyota off-roady SUV's 4Runner (37k-55k)<Land Cruiser(55k to $75k)<Sequoia (61k-79k)

Previously if you wanted an off-road capable SUV from Toyota you were jumping from the 4Runner all the way up to Sequoia. I think it makes sense. However, I also love the box squared designs...very happy to see all the rounded or overly angular bs not touch the Land Cruiser. I'm not a fan of the new Tundra or to a lesser degree the Tacoma looks. If I was in the market for an off road capable SUV I would be looking at the Land Cruiser or the new Lexus GX as I think the Sequoia was the big miss here, not the Land Cruiser.

Stole these charts from this article:

1708618847916.png
1708618878798.png

What I'm interested to see is if they continue the TRD Pro in the new 4Runner, also if they add a "Trailhunter" version. I could seem them separating the Land Cruiser and 4Runner more in price by no longer offering the TRD Pro in 4Runner, then if you want the top off-road mid-size SUV from Toyota you're forced into Land Cruiser. I don't think I would llike that move but it makes sense and would create clear separation between 4Runner, Land Cruiser and Sequoia.

Listening to Tim and Dave talk about the Land Cruiser peaked my interest mainly because their opinions were so wildly different than mine on a few points.

Highlights:
Tim doesn't like the design change towards square looking vehicles, not his cup of tea

The current starting price for a Land Cruiser is $55,950 on the 1958 base, keep in mind on that trim which is 1 of 3 available there are NO optional packages available. One powertrain, one interior you basically get 3 colors to choose from, that's it. The base 1958 gives you the Hybrid powertrain that is coming to tacoma soon. I'm surprised people aren't trying to drive them to get a feel for what the hybrid Tacoma will drive like.

The current 4Runner starts at $40,705. The TRD Pro starts at $55,170 so Land Cruiser is positioned just above the TRD Pro price wise. It wouldn't surprise me to see them shorten up the 4Runner a couple of inches.

I have to give Tommy from TFL some props here, he's been saying for MONTHS that he thinks the 4Runner is going to slot in just below Land Cruiser and be a Toyota Tacoma SUV. Meaning the new 4Runner will mimick everything the Tacoma offers. The new Tacoma starts at $31,500. I think the starting 4Runner is going to come down a touch in price from $40k and will top out around the entry price of a base Land Cruiser. So, 2025 will look like this for Toyota off-roady SUV's 4Runner (37k-55k)<Land Cruiser(55k to $75k)<Sequoia (61k-79k)

Previously if you wanted an off-road capable SUV from Toyota you were jumping from the 4Runner all the way up to Sequoia. I think it makes sense. However, I also love the box squared designs...very happy to see all the rounded or overly angular bs not touch the Land Cruiser. I'm not a fan of the new Tundra or to a lesser degree the Tacoma looks. If I was in the market for an off road capable SUV I would be looking at the Land Cruiser or the new Lexus GX as I think the Sequoia was the big miss here, not the Land Cruiser.

View attachment 211
View attachment 212
Hey, didn't you already post this?...lol J/K

What I'm interested to see is if they continue the TRD Pro in the new 4Runner, also if they add a "Trailhunter" version. I could seem them separating the Land Cruiser and 4Runner more in price by no longer offering the TRD Pro in 4Runner, then if you want the top off-road mid-size SUV from Toyota you're forced into Land Cruiser. I don't think I would llike that move but it makes sense and would create clear separation between 4Runner, Land Cruiser and Sequoia.
Personally, I can't see how the 4Runner will not overlap with the LandCruiser. A 2024 4Runner TRD PRO is already at $56K. You know damn well the new one has to add at least $3-4K, like the Taco did. But Toyota never cared about that. They've dumped models all over the place that seem so close. Look at the Venza, Corolla Cross, and Rav4.

Personally, I can't see how the 4Runner will not overlap with the LandCruiser. A 2024 4Runner TRD PRO is already at $56K. You know damn well the new one has to add at least $3-4K, like the Taco did. But Toyota never cared about that. They've dumped models all over the place that seem so close. Look at the Venza, Corolla Cross, and Rav4.

I don't think you're wrong, Like you I would bet on a TRD Pro sitting above the base LandCruiser but that makes it a little weird as they're both 5 seat off road SUV's. A little more cargo room in the LandCruiser.

I don't think you're wrong, Like you I would bet on a TRD Pro sitting above the base LandCruiser but that makes it a little weird as they're both 5 seat off road SUV's. A little more cargo room in the LandCruiser.

Maybe the aim is to draw some people into a Toyota Off-Road SUV that weren't there before and didn't like the 4Runner or Sequoia? A top end 4runner is $55k and the Sequoia 's only OR option is the PRO at $79k.

Maybe the aim is to draw some people into a Toyota Off-Road SUV that weren't there before and didn't like the 4Runner or Sequoia? A top end 4runner is $55k and the Sequoia 's only OR option is the PRO at $79k.
Probably that. And maybe to get the ones who just don't care for the square look of the LC. Like Tim...
As for driving them. I'm betting you won't see a LC drive until the Taco hybrid drive happens. Makes sense to do it that way introducing that engine to the press together. They better do it soon before the Taco gains the rep as the least powerful mid-size out yet. Maybe they're waiting on the Ranger drive to be the latest, greatest.

I don't think I will go for it for sure....

If there is anything (like fees) which will bring the car to 100k, then there is a luxury tax of 10%, and then 14.975% Federal/Provincial taxes

1725065655241.png

Highlights:

View attachment 211
View attachment 212
I like boxy aspect of the new Land Cruiser.

I’ll say this. The 1958 edition I drove changed my mind. Funny how that happens when you spend more time with something.
Someone in my neighborhood just got one, but I believe he owns the Toyota dealer. Same color as the picture I posted.
I have to admit, it is boxy freaking looking nice!!!!

Back