Thought on the long term test trucks

Saddle Tramp

Whenever I watch Tim's and Jill's reviews, I wonder about the "wear and tear" items and how much they'll cost. I know that prices change from region to region, taxes vary from state to state, and next year the prices will be different; BUT I think it's good to know for future costs. Wiper blades, air filters, brake pads, batteries... Things that may need replacing during the five to ten years of ownership. It would be exhausting to ask them to do this for every vehicle they review, but I think it would work well with the long term test reviews. If anything, it might be good for an added video for that playlist.

Whenever I watch Tim's and Jill's reviews, I wonder about the "wear and tear" items and how much they'll cost. I know that prices change from region to region, taxes vary from state to state, and next year the prices will be different; BUT I think it's good to know for future costs. Wiper blades, air filters, brake pads, batteries... Things that may need replacing during the five to ten years of ownership. It would be exhausting to ask them to do this for every vehicle they review, but I think it would work well with the long term test reviews. If anything, it might be good for an added video for that playlist.
Tim's long terms, the they make financial sense, are usually only a year due to the tax write off rules. I can see wiper blades/air filters/oil filters oil and any labor if he doesn't do it himself on the oil changes, but brake pads and batteries should not wear out in a year on a new truck.

Last edited:
I think the easiest thing to do would be to go to an online vendor like Rock Auto and do a cost comparison of “wear and tear” items to get an idea of replacement costs. There are so many options and wide range of costs for a given part.

It is a good question and one I've thought about as well. Edmunds does a total cost of ownership for each truck. It is zip code dependent. Would you find value if I did a video comparing the popular trim of each of the full-size trucks using say a Denver zip code?

Personally, I wouldn't. I'm more interested in your overall impressions of the truck after you've had it for a long term test. Driveability, handling, issues minor or major, mileage vs. similar etc. I feel like the wear and tear items would all be pretty similarly priced for each of the major truck manufacturers. I don't see what value that would bring.

Comparing the ownership and subjective feelings about the 3.0 chevy to the Tundra and Ford are where it's at for me.

What I would like to see is a definitive ranking that's tracked and added to for the major areas:
1) Overall feeling of the truck
2) Interior design/layout
3) Infotainment - Ease of use and complexity, errors
4) MPG
5) Handling
6) Towing
7) Performance

This list could grow pretty quickly but stick to 7ish categories and stack them up. Then as you get short term test vehicles re-address some of the areas you had with the long term test vehicle. Example: I had the ford and really struggled with the infotainment screen, well they made some updates in 2024 and now I have one for a short term test... how is it now? (I'm making that up but you get the point) Or the bed access/useability on the Tundra is pretty terrible, I have to assume it would rank lowest out of the big 4. If you get a short term test, re-address it in comparison to itself and the others. Is it still the worst?

Keep this posted on the website and update as you can. Then, when someone is looking for a new rig or just wants some data they can look and see "according to Tim, the best interior in a truck in 2024 is (blank.) The overall best driving and handling truck is (blank.) The categories really could be anything as long as it's in comparison to the big 4 GM/Ford/Ram/Toyota.

Last edited:
It is a good question and one I've thought about as well. Edmunds does a total cost of ownership for each truck. It is zip code dependent. Would you find value if I did a video comparing the popular trim of each of the full-size trucks using say a Denver zip code?

Yes I would. You keep your trucks for a year because of business requirements, but the average owner keeps them much longer. Unless it's a lease, which could be another topic, the owner will have to replace some items. Even if it's just a battery, knowing what that cost will be is helpful.

Back in the 90's a coworker bought a Chrysler LH Dodge Intrepid and we were shocked that it cost $40 to replace a single wiper blade and that was for the part only. I had my side mirror broken on my 2002 Silverado and that cost $125 to replace, again that's just for part.

I wanna know how much that Cybertruck wiper blade costs.

Overall, I think maintenance costs are only a factor when there is something unique about the item. When 20" tires first started showing up, that increased cost but when everyone started using them, it all leveled out again. Right now, about the only thing I could think of for regular maintenance items that would be excessively expensive would be the odd sized tires like the 35" rubber on Broncos.

Back