The 3.4L V6 issue..too much torque in a small package?

Fightnfire

One of my favorite YouTubers,Tinkerer's Adventure, is an engineer and does really great deep dive/breakdown videos. Here is a new video he just released on the 3.4L V6 turbo in the Tundra and other Toyota/Lexus vehicles.

One of his friends is a Lexus technician for over 20 years and has never seen a main bearing issue until the 3.4L V6. Now there has been three at his shop alone.

Hmmm....

One of my favorite YouTubers,Tinkerer's Adventure, is an engineer and does really great deep dive/breakdown videos. Here is a new video he just released on the 3.4L V6 turbo in the Tundra and other Toyota/Lexus vehicles.

One of his friends is a Lexus technician for over 20 years and has never seen a main bearing issue until the 3.4L V6. Now there has been three at his shop alone.

Hmmm....
Interesting video. Obviously something isn't working as well as it should on these new engines. It will be interesting to see what Toyota comes up with as to the root cause of the failures. I have some hunches but that's about it right now.

Hmmm....
Thanks for sharing. It is definitely an interesting video and he did his research. He will likely get invited to more press events. I don't recall seeing him on my wave, but if I do in the future, I'll be sure to say hi to him.

I think he will not be invited to press events ,but hope you are correct .
Thanks for sharing. It is definitely an interesting video and he did his research. He will likely get invited to more press events. I don't recall seeing him on my wave, but if I do in the future, I'll be sure to say hi to him.

High torque, low rpm = Big bearings and high tension rings for long life . However they do effect fuel economy .

The Tacoma and Tundra both seem like expensive stinkers, all new trucks except the Maverick are expensive though.

More problems with the... 2024 Tundra

I'm not impressed with the Tundra's for many, many reasons. I don't think he needs to bash TFL or the other guys though. I've heard Andre talk about problems quite a bit. Also, TFL wasn't afraid to point out flaws with Subarus. He should just stick to the facts in the video.

I'm not impressed with the Tundra's for many, many reasons. I don't think he needs to bash TFL or the other guys though. I've heard Andre talk about problems quite a bit. Also, TFL wasn't afraid to point out flaws with Subarus. He should just stick to the facts in the video.
I had some back and forth with that guy after he accused TFL for essentially taking a bribe. Not sure what his deal is, but I won’t be engaging with him anymore.

I've seen his videos and I'm not impressed at all. A bunch of suppositions and claims with no facts to back it up. His content is completely unoriginal and has no direct knowledge of anything he talks about. He just makes negative comments on other YT'rs content. Wanna impress me? Buy a Tundra and prove all these issues he reports are true. Or a Chevy, or a KIA, or whatever brand he is bashing today over a single comment made on a different YT video. Watching him, you would think there is absolutely nothing positive in the automotive world anywhere, it's all doom and gloom.

I've never watched any of his videos before, it was suggested by YouTube and as it was relevant to the original video I posted I watched it. Yeah, not a fan of him in general from the one video I watched but I do think he's showing issues with the 2024's whereas the general thinking was Toyota had solved this problem in late 2022. He is also a two vehicle Toyota owner and in my experience there isn't a group of owners more proud of the reliability and toyota tax than current owners. That seems to be chaning rapidly on the other forums I am a member of.

It seems the majority of issues are stemming from main bearing failing which sometimes get's written up as needing a new engine or rebuilding the block.

It has me concerned for Toyota in general.

there isn't a group of owners more proud of the reliability and toyota tax than current owners. That seems to be chaning rapidly on the other forums I am a member of.
I find the reliability conversation on the Tundra to be surprising. I've been covering them since 2012 or so and Toyota vehicles are good, but they are not as bulletproof as some owners seem to COMPLETELY believe they are compared to competitors.

I find the reliability conversation on the Tundra to be surprising. I've been covering them since 2012 or so and Toyota vehicles are good, but they are not as bulletproof as some owners seem to COMPLETELY believe they are compared to competitors.
Like any generalization, the truth is always somewhere in the middle. Will every single Toyota, driven hard and not taken care of last 300K? Hell no. Will every Jeep, babied to death, fall apart at 50K? Hell no. Reliability numbers do have some truth in them but the spread of good to bad is much closer than anyone thinks.

Back