TFL F150 vs Cybertruck max towing on dirt road

duggydo

I'm not a big fan of most of the new technology on modern trucks. However, it looks like the extra sensors and monitoring helped protect the truck in this test. I was a bit surprised it got so hot that quickly though.

Well, when you max out the load and take it on an extreme hill, it's kinda of expected. And I don't knock Ford for the result. Another reason they created the spec, so when the maker lists a weight, you know how they tested it. You exceed that, results will be different.

I wish they would have redone the test but chose a gear and locked it out to see if it performed better.

Rant/Side note:
If it can't tow the advertise weight without problems on a public road, it should not be the advertised number.
It's getting hotter every year and trucks should be able to handle the advertised numbers on a public road. This is not the first time they are having warnings/problems with a 1500/F150 class of truck on this hill and maybe the towing standard should be revised.
Towing on the Davis damn is hard, but higher speeds pushes a lot of air trough and helps keeps those temps in check. We are not always towing on the highway or at speed.

I wish they would have redone the test but chose a gear and locked it out to see if it performed better.

Rant/Side note:
If it can't tow the advertise weight without problems on a public road, it should not be the advertised number.
It's getting hotter every year and trucks should be able to handle the advertised numbers on a public road. This is not the first time they are having warnings/problems with a 1500/F150 class of truck on this hill and maybe the towing standard should be revised.
Towing on the Davis damn is hard, but higher speeds pushes a lot of air trough and helps keeps those temps in check. We are not always towing on the highway or at speed.
It would be interesting to find out the cfm of the stock electric fan setup. I do like the fact the truck was smart enough to not boil over the coolant, but like I said, it seemed to got hot much faster than I expected. I’d also like to see a 2500 haul the same load up for comparison.

Well, they also overheated a Chevy on this road but a much lighter load. And they also were touching the max temp on the Taco but I believe that was an even steeper road. You just cannot expect those numbers to apply to absolutely every route where you can fit the truck.

Well, they also overheated a Chevy on this road but a much lighter load. And they also were touching the max temp on the Taco but I believe that was an even steeper road. You just cannot expect those numbers to apply to absolutely every route where you can fit the truck.
It was the transmission that overheated on the Chevy. Andre mentioned that in this video. I'm not sure the the Chevy had a trans cooler though.

It was the transmission that overheated on the Chevy. Andre mentioned that in this video. I'm not sure the the Chevy had a trans cooler though.
Yeah, I know. Same with the Taco, it was tranny. I wasn't implying it was coolant. As light a load as that Chevy had, I hope it was a mechanical issue.

To me, it just means that the cooling package on the trucks are not sufficient enough for the advertised ratings.

The Chevy did have a transmission cooler.

Back