TFL Denver 100 MPG Loop New Ram Rebel, AT4X, Tremor

Fightnfire

3.0 non HO RAM - 17.22
5.0 Ford - 19.14
6.2 GMC - 18.34

Uhhhh ...

The AT4X is the heaviest by far and had the heaviest driver. The Ram and the 6.2 GMC have nearly identical horsepower and torque which is about 20 and 60 more than the Ford 5.0.

I guess it's shit on Stellantis RAM and Jeep week but that's terrible.

3.0 non HO RAM - 17.22
5.0 Ford - 19.14
6.2 GMC - 18.34

Uhhhh ...

The AT4X is the heaviest by far and had the heaviest driver. The Ram and the 6.2 GMC have nearly identical horsepower and torque which is about 20 and 60 more than the Ford 5.0.

I guess it's shit on Stellantis RAM and Jeep week but that's terrible.
I have a new Ram outside. I'm doing a MPG test on Sunday when I drive to the airport. It is about 180 miles.

Is yours a rebel? Also they could have been fighting the wind the majority of the way? All of the numbers seemed a little low to me. I can get 19-20 on the highway in my 6.2 AT4 on 35s pretty easy.

Are you glad you didn't get the Bighorn now that you have one to drive?
Actually I am with this particular build they sent. It is all black with air suspension and towing mirrors. The mirrors are driving me nuts with the blind spots when turning.

View attachment 482

So, I just ran out and realized they did the trip odometer from Denver already. I'm confused on how TFL got such a low number.View attachment 483
It doesn’t really surprise me. I had a lot of inconsistent mpg out of the ecoboost trucks I’ve driven over the years. Sometimes I could baby it on a trip and still get crap mpg. I suspect this new turbo engine is also finicky. When I drove an F150 work truck with a 5.0, it always was more consistent and slightly better mpg.

It doesn’t really surprise me. I had a lot of inconsistent mpg out of the ecoboost trucks I’ve driven over the years. Sometimes I could baby it on a trip and still get crap mpg. I suspect this new turbo engine is also finicky. When I drove an F150 work truck with a 5.0, it always was more consistent and slightly better mpg.
Same. I've said that for years that V8 engines return more consistent MPG numbers than turbos.

People want to know the MPG difference between the Famous 5.7 Hemi and the 3 litre . on similar Ram trucks . same day .
I'm doing a video today that will speak to that. I can't do a 100 mile test, but I have an owner who takes meticulous notes on MPG.

I found it amazing how much better a newer Hemi did. My 2003 averaged around 12.5. My 2011 averaged 14mpg when new and the same now. When I had a 2020, it averaged 16 mpg easy.

I think this topic deserves a deep dive video into real world MPG between the new age of turbo engines and the newer v8s. Not just looking at EPA numbers or 100 mile loops.

I'm in the Bay area now for work and rented a midsize but they were out so they upped to me to a full size brand new Silverado with the 2.7 turbo.

I put about 400 mi on the truck in 2 days mostly locked into cruise control on the highway, I averaged 19.3 mpg. 350 plus of those miles where highway 70ish mph.

My 6.2 over the same relatively flat terrain with cruise control would have gotten damn near similar if not slightly more mpg's on 35's. My truck also weighs quite a bit more than an LT stock Silverado.

I think this topic deserves a deep dive video into real world MPG between the new age of turbo engines and the newer v8s. Not just looking at EPA numbers or 100 mile loops.

I'm in the Bay area now for work and rented a midsize but they were out so they upped to me to a full size brand new Silverado with the 2.7 turbo.

I put about 400 mi on the truck in 2 days mostly locked into cruise control on the highway, I averaged 19.3 mpg. 350 plus of those miles where highway 70ish mph.

My 6.2 over the same relatively flat terrain with cruise control would have gotten damn near similar if not slightly more mpg's on 35's. My truck also weighs quite a bit more than an LT stock Silverado.
The challenge I can see with that is the various number of variables involved.

Do you run premium fuel in your 6.2 truck? I think they had a 10.7-11.5 compression ratio. High compression engines tend to be more efficient. That GM 2.7 turbo is only a 10.0 compression ratio. The turbo's offset that a little with boost, but still about 10% or more less compression when not into the turbos.

Do you run premium fuel in your 6.2 truck? I think they had a 10.7-11.5 compression ratio. High compression engines tend to be more efficient. That GM 2.7 turbo is only a 10.0 compression ratio. The turbo's offset that a little with boost, but still about 10% or more less compression when not into the turbos.

Yes, always.

The challenge I can see with that is the various number of variables involved.
Exactly. Hard to get two trucks close enough to make it accurate. I guess with GM it would be possible because they put 4 different engines in the one model like the Trail Boss. It would still be a logistics nightmare getting them all in the same place.

Back